Hornby 2020 Announcement

mick

Nothing at all Mick

Im disappointed they arent going to branch out into 7mm (clockwork novelty nonsense aside) - after all, it is where they started.

For the life of me, I cant understand the decision to re-tool the class 91 - unless they are trying to gazump Cavalex (which would be pretty low imho). Why not re-release the 91 & mk4's into the Railroad range, rather than go head to head with another manufacturer? Im sure there would be quite a few, who dont have massive budgets, who would love to see these trains in a whole range of liveries.

The Railroad Plus range doesnt do anything for me - keep Railroad in its target market and keep the main range in its market - dont muddy the waters inbetween - it will bite you in the ar#e!

Edited by ba14eagle
additional thoughts

I'm not sure there's room for another big player in the 7mm market especially as Heljan have the diesel side pretty much wrapped up and with Dapol coming on strongly behind. Then there's the Hattons pacifics, two loco's that have been the mainstay of Hornby's success in 4mm for decades. I'd prefer to see Hornby concentrate on OO gauge.

I'm sure they have their reasons for upgrading the class 91. It does seem like a blow below the belt but it will be interesting to learn what Cavalex decide to do. Surely an upgraded Hornby 91 will relegate the existing model to Railroad status anyway? Or do you think they'll choose to discontinue it altogether?

I've always been a big fan of LNER loco's so I was pleased to hear of the new releases, A2/2, A2/3, and the W1 'Hush Hush'. I'm not about to rush out and pre-order anything because I'm desperately trying to restrain myself and stick to stock I can run either up in the attic or out in the garden. None of the above fit either category and I already have plenty of static display models.

The APT is good news and another that I'm looking forward to seeing. 

There's certainly a lot of limited edition sets and train packs for the collectors out there so they clearly see that as a big part of their market.

Unless I've missed something it's the first time I can recall there being no new A4 loco announced. I'm only 3 short of a full compliment and was hoping one of those 3 would be there.

I think Hornby have been very bold with their proposals and I hope that it all goes well for them.

Couple of things, l noticed that the "clockwork" range is already sold out on pre order at Hattons, very quick for something only announced yesterday! Yes l think the 91 is probably a blocking manoeuvre, remember they done the same with the Rails Terrier last year. There a business and as such will always try to see off any competition. 

The biggest question will be can they hit delivery dates?

6 hours ago, jimbob said:

Couple of things, l noticed that the "clockwork" range is already sold out on pre order at Hattons...

Do you mean the O gauge tinplate ones? I noticed the price! 😲

I was also watching the Hornby Magazine review of the Hornby announcement and they mentioned them being 3-rail rather than clockwork. Apparently there's only 100 of each being produced so you'd better be quick if you want one.

£524 each and no track included.  There are some rich people out there! Where does one get 3 rail track anyway?

A lot of the stuff is limited edition as well, so are they going for the collector's market?

Still most of my stuff is bought pre owned so not a problem for me.

I would think the majority of the centenary limited editions are aimed at the collectors market and if that's an area Hornby can profit from then that's great for the company and for their continued presence in the hobby. 

I think they've put out a great selection of models and collectors items to mark their centenary but let's face it, they've had plenty of time to plan for it!

On 06/01/2020 at 19:21, ba14eagle said:

Nothing at all Mick

Im disappointed they arent going to branch out into 7mm (clockwork novelty nonsense aside) - after all, it is where they started.

For the life of me, I cant understand the decision to re-tool the class 91 - unless they are trying to gazump Cavalex (which would be pretty low imho). Why not re-release the 91 & mk4's into the Railroad range, rather than go head to head with another manufacturer? Im sure there would be quite a few, who dont have massive budgets, who would love to see these trains in a whole range of liveries.

The Railroad Plus range doesnt do anything for me - keep Railroad in its target market and keep the main range in its market - dont muddy the waters inbetween - it will bite you in the ar#e!

As the owner of a Class 91 I can assure you that it needs a retooling. It's a very basic model. The Mk 4 coaches are no better. It looks the part outside, but I can't think of a time I've seen one running at a show.

IMG_6503.thumb.jpeg.35a1b7550beb9fb63f69c1fd8d3f6947.jpeg

Not much in there for me. Which is probably a good thing. I have enough rolling stock and don't need the temptation.

I see that a lot of the limited edition are all ready out of stock on pre orders from the likes of Hattons etc, .  I am told that smaller retailers are not reciveing any allocation at all or being rationed to 2 or 3 only. 

Bet a load will be on e bayat 3 times the price within 24hrs of realise 

• 1 year later...

There's going to be a glut of new releases on the market through December onwards. I guess the pandemic has created a right old backlog. It will be interesting to see how things pan out into next year and beyond.

Price hikes can be expected in every department and it's probably just the beginning.

I can understand that Barry. The APT is iconic and if you were lucky enough to travel on it then I can see why you would want to purchase a model of it.  

As for me, I didn't have a valid reason for any of the pre-orders I had placed so I chose to cancel all of them and concentrate on the ones I already own that have still to come out of their boxes and set foot on the layout.

5 hours ago, Clay Mills Junction said:

Yes, I'd hope though that a price change at this stage would be final and indicative of release being soon.

I do want an APT (as I went on a real one) and I do want a Class 91, I've put money aside for both. With a big squeeze on finances coming, I know these will be my last new purchases for a very long time.

I got a chance to see the new APT and I have got to say, it looks fantastic. I'm sure it's also very delicate, I'd definatley want it to be on a storage track permanently if I had one.