Ballast

IanR

Update... Astonish 'Flawless' is now simply known as 'Wood Floor Polish' It is my ballast fixative of choice and at one pound for 750ml it's a bargain! And it still smells nice!

20150530_155737.jpg.21f6bf1844b372cdbe19470d1c2a1b47.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

First time I've seen it. Two questions need an answer... is it waterproof and is it real stone?

If you get some I'd be interested to know how you get on with it.

You don't have to mix ballast and floor polish, you put the ballast on dry and then dribble the floor polish onto it using a syringe or pipette.

Ian R

IanR said:

You don't have to mix ballast and floor polish, you put the ballast on dry and then dribble the floor polish onto it using a syringe or pipette

:shock: I'll be there for weeks! Does it work if you pre-mix it and dump it on (obviously protecting the tracks first) ?

Does it work if you pre-mix it and dump it on (obviously protecting the tracks first) ?

I've never tried it that way so I don't know... It would probably take longer that way anyway.

• 1 year later...

I recently conducted a test laying of ballast on my new railway.

The Johnsons floor polish I used didn't set the ballast at all and after the first rain fell, I was left with a mess.

I then found Astonish in my local B&M store. I purchased 4 bottles and started laying more ballast.

This is where I encountered another problem :x The Astonish has stuck the ballast, but doesn't actually stick it to my recycled plastic trackbed! As soon as the sun went in and the moisture set in, the edges of the ballast shoulder started to curl up.

I then reverted back to using the SBA glue, that I used on the old railway, having found it my Dads garage, and this seems to stick the ballast down to the recycled plastic with no problems :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys

I have tried a small test track with medium granite ballast and Astonish wood polish.

Having dribbled over the ballast and left it to dry it was quite firm.

After a rainy day I noticed that the ballast was loose although it hadn't moved.

I wonder if I should have used a second application of polish after the first was dry.

Would a final coat of a Matt varnish help or is it not needed.

I haven't laid ballast before so I want to get it as right as I can first hit.

You are right though, smells lovely.

Cheers

Dave

Trevor Jones has always used slightly diluted SBR on his Great Wakering Flackwell Heath & Whitefield Railway. See his post #16500. There can't be many garden railways that have stood the test of time like his although some maintenance is inevitable.

Riddles

• 6 months later...

I've followed Trevor's lead and used SBR on a couple of sections of Amblethorpe. They have both been down for over 6 months now and I don't think a single chip of ballast has moved.  I had given up ballasting areas open to the elements, but having used SBR successfully I will get back to it this year.

• 3 months later...

I've just been reviewing ballast glue threads on this site and elsewhere,  I've also reviewed a few of the specifications of the various glues.

I previously said I prefer latex glues indoors  and now I'm thinking i agree with previous comments that SBR is the way to go.  SBR which is  a latex glue for outdoors. It is weatherproof except for not being light resistant. I'm thinking any under the ballast would be hidden from the sun and therefore that would not not be affected. SBR has the advantage also of not being hugely expensive it's about  £18 for 5 ltr.

• 3 months later...

SBR is a additive for concrete, used the make concrete more waterproof and flexible. You should be able to find it in your hardware store in the concrete additives aisle.

SBR is a latex additive.

You can also find  PVA additives for cement and a 5 ltr Bottle  of that is a good cheap source of PVA glue.

Edited by TheQ