Hattons Class 66

mick

No, I didn't forget about the pulling power - I just never got the chance to run it because the loco did nothing but wobble from side to side. I also got the sound-fitted version which believe me, after all the pre-release hype, was nothing to write home about. In all a bad experience and one I won't be repeating anytime soon.

Which begs the question, how come you don't know the size of OO gauge track, the best way to purchase it, how to create gradients, or 'how to start' an oo gauge railway, and yet you can offer such a scientific assessment of the Hattons class 66?

On 3/27/2020 at 6:19 PM, mick said:

I've always missed the omitted marker lights on the Bachmann but the Hatton's marker lights are so dull that it's barely noticeable either. It still looks like there's only two lights instead of the triangle arrangement.

People keep demanding ever more detail and realism. I find the same thing with the Oxford Rail Mk3as, they made a beautiful super-detailed model but they also made a not very robust model.
With the lights, on the real railway you wouldn't see train lights from anything but track level and a fairly narrow angle. Helicopter view (normal model rail viewing angle) you wouldn't see the lights at all. So from that point of view it is realistic. I think the point of a model is to entertain though and part of that is having the lights visible, even if that ultimately compromises realism.

I've come to the conclusion that for me, losing some detail to retain some more robustness is a fair compromise. And that gives another plus about a garden railway, you view the models from enough of a distance that rivet counting is pointless :-)

14 hours ago, mick said:

No, I didn't forget about the pulling power - I just never got the chance to run it because the loco did nothing but wobble from side to side. I also got the sound-fitted version which believe me, after all the pre-release hype, was nothing to write home about. In all a bad experience and one I won't be repeating anytime soon.

Which begs the question, how come you don't know the size of OO gauge track, the best way to purchase it, how to create gradients, or 'how to start' an oo gauge railway, and yet you can offer such a scientific assessment of the Hattons class 66?

i watch youtube. 

• 6 months later...

The FOOL that is me!!

Did anyone else receive a promotional email from Hattons' a couple of days ago with details of their Festive Sale? They're advertising price reductions on several items including their O gauge A3, A4 and OO gauge class 66s locomotives. Despite the problems I had with my previous purchase of a class 66 loco that I ended up returning for refund, I decided that a 'festive' price reduction from £150 to £119 was worthy of another chance and that I could perhaps rectify any similar problems that I came across. After all, there's plenty of advice available online now due to the number of errors others have encountered.

So this morning my order was delivered but when I opened it up I was greeted with a box carrying a sticker marked with the errors the loco contained! THESE ARE NOT NEW ITEMS! The promotion suggests they are new, and so does the online website listing, but the one I received certainly is not. It has either just been previously returned or has been reconditioned.

20201120_145914.thumb.jpg.e65a7cbf42c25b633ae09771824b7e92.jpg

I imagine if this is indeed the case then it will also apply to the other items listed in their Festive Sale so perhaps a note of caution for anyone else contemplating an order for anything listed on that promotional email.

• 2 weeks later...

So another defective Hattons class 66 locomotive has been returned for a refund and that's now it for me. I've had enough of being offered refunds as if they're doing me a favour. It wouldn't be bad if they'd refund the postage you initially paid as well but I'm now £8 out of pocket in my attempts to get hold of a class 66 loco and that's without the stress and additional work it personally involves. 

I certainly won't be purchasing any other 'Hattons' branded products and any future online purchases I need will be made elsewhere.

On the odd couple of occasions I've had to return items to Hattons, they've emailed me a reply paid label. I'm not sure whether I asked for it or not. If you just post an item back to them without prior notice I don't suppose they will offer to compensate you.

Rather naughty of them to send out defective locos as brand new though, especially when they are marked with known faults.

I agree Dave. Each time I've had to return anything to Hattons' there's never a problem in them accepting it or supplying a pre-paid label for its return - in fact on this occasion they even arranged for it to be collected from my home address to save me having to go out to post it off. But with regards to the class 66 loco's, although I still haven't managed to acquire one I have had to pay the initial £4 delivery charge on two occasions for items that had to ultimately be returned. I accept the fact that this second time I could have requested another replacement but on the first occasion there were no spare models to exchange it with yet I had still paid the initial £4 delivery charge.

If I had simply changed my mind I wouldn't have expected or even asked for them to refund the delivery charge as well but this was their error so why should I be out of pocket even if it is only a mere £4?

To put things straight, Hatton's responded on this occasion to say that this had been an error on their part and I shouldn't have been sent a previously returned or repaired loco when I had paid for a new one.

To be honest I preferred Hattons when they were just a model railway retailer, the one you could always rely on to have whatever you wanted. But things have changed and now you need to shop around because Hattons are unable to stock Bachmann, Rails are no longer supplied with Hornby..... Is it for better or for worse?

Hattons are not the only company by any means who seem to believe they are doing you a favour by refunding in full when a product is faulty or not up to the standards we should expect. But don't get me started with online grocery deliveries and how Morrissons' in particular seem to think that packing delicate items such as salad stuff at the bottom of bags beneath all the heavier items is acceptable. Like Hattons' they have a refund in full policy if something doesn't meet your expectations but that doesn't alter the fact that you've been left without several items you had ordered! Refunding you is just an easy get out.

Yes, you are quite right. With regard to Hattons & Rails and Bachman & Hornby it seems as though the two big names no longer have to compete for our business on a level playing field (to use the phrase of the day) . I know other suppliers stock both names and I do like to support my local shop as well but it is usually much easier to order for door step delivery.

We had never used an online grocery delivery service until this year but we have had to try them all to get a delivery slot and there have been several "disappointments" including receiving an afternoon phone call from Sainsbury's saying that they had technical problems so could we click and collect. No. Then we had an Ocado delivery with a large crushed yoghurt (M & S) which had messed up everything else.

Perhaps next year we will feel happier venturing out.