B1 61396 Mayflower climbing from Achnasheen

StevieG

This popped up on my YouTube feed a few days ago and I didn't realise it was one of your videos until you posted the link here too! Very nice - the B1 looks stunning.

As lovely as the location is it's not a gradient I would fancy trying to recreate in the garden.

Hi Mick I agree far too steep. We were staying at Kinlochewe just a few miles from Achnasheen and I knew the special was coming through. I spent some time with OS maps trying to work out a spot we could access where it would be working hard up the gradient. I wanted to try my external microphone on the SLR which I think worked really well on my Canon EOS77. Although it was a remote spot well away from the road it’s a shame that one of the 3 or 4 others decided to stand next to me and you can hear his shutter going off. Wasn’t brave enough to ask him to move!

• Confused 1

Why is that? Park in an empty car park, and somebody will park next to you. Go fishing on an empty riverbank, and you soon gain a neighbour. The only place to get left alone is in the Gents, where it becomes almost obligatory to leave an empty urinal between people.

Mayflower was certainly working up to that bend, and what a sound. I remember often as a kid, being double headed by steamers over the Schlochd Summit. Hanging out of the carriage window to see them leading the train around the curves. What locos would they have been from the mid 50s to the end of steam?

1 hour ago, StevieG said:

...Although it was a remote spot well away from the road it’s a shame that one of the 3 or 4 others decided to stand next to me and you can hear his shutter going off. Wasn’t brave enough to ask him to move!

Clearly audible. I was going to ask how many others were there. I have a 'silent' shutter mode on the Mk4d which dampens the sound and makes it less obtrusive, though not silent by any means.