willos railway

willo

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to come back and watch the video again. The layout really does have a nice look to it. Also, you've got that short line look by having single track which I think is a really nice touch.

It already has the natural scenery look, but next summer as things grow up and around the track beds it'll look really nice.

A suggestion and not intended as knocking you or your work in anyway:

Some of your curves seem really tight. The uncoupling on the video is one example. You might try adding a piece of wood to the inside of that curve and using some flex to get a wider radius on it. Or cut the beams back and put a new platform of ply where the curves are. i think that having a joint between beams right at a curve complicates matters by having a potentially shifting joint and grade change in the middle of a curve. But these are merely suggestions, the layout is looking fantastic. keep em runnin' and keep posting pics and videos.

I really like that you are running small wheelbase locos. Jintys I assume, although my limitede knowledge of UK trains means that anything with an 0-6-0 wheel base is a jinty to me. ha ha :mrgreen:

Just had a look at the video wonderful and nice music too. Was Chris cross when the stock fell off at the curve?. I think with that curve you may have to ease it a bit which is simple by putting in more posts closer together. It will give you a number of smaller boards but it'll make the curve easier for the locos and stock.

Roy

good day to you all here is my tunnel mouth ive created out of recycled chopping boardsPhoto0600s>Photo0600<e>

ere we go again :lol:

ive put them in the pic gallery ;)

Well they deserve to be posted on your thread Dave and so as I don't like to see anyone struggling - allow me ;)

Absolutely first class (you dark horse!) and a really excellent structure.

image.php?album_id=18&image_id=616image.php?album_id=18&image_id=616http://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/gallery/image.php?album_id=18&image_id=616' alt='URL>'>

image.php?album_id=18&image_id=614image.php?album_id=18&image_id=614http://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/gallery/image.php?album_id=18&image_id=614' alt='URL>'>

wow those look good. This is the kind of stuff we need tutorials on.

How'd you cut it. What did you paint it with. Are those painted on mortar lines or cut and then painted? It kind of makes sense to use that material because it already has all kinds of cuts and marks and texture like a rock; good idea!

went out to do some building today and thought i would start up the train and have a few runs while i play and do you ever have those days when nothing goes right

i knew i had issues with the line but can usually get away with a few runs without derailments at a steady speed,not today as soon as i turn my back to go in the shed you here this scuffing noise as the carriages bogies try straddle the lines like a drifting car and happening in various places :x anyway as we all know sometimes it can be frustrating,but i did manage to get my tunnel in place which im quite pleased about :)

It sounds like you have some seemingly serious issues, don't panic!

With my railroad I found that although putting it all together is the logical thing leading to construction, there is also the fiddling little bits and redoing parts. My entire tracklaying process was one of setiting and resetting till everything matched up. It sounds like you need to spend some time fiddling with things a bit. Mick advised me to get my eyes at track level and sight down the rails to see if there were irregular patches, and there were. ;)

The other issue is of course the wheels on your locos and cars. People will tell you to buy a track gauge and wheel gauge, but I just use a spare piece of track to check my wheels. Turn the cars upside down and set a piece of track on one set of wheels; you may need to look at it from the end. If they are not in proper alignment I just pry them apart or squeeze them together till they fit. Your cars wheels shouldn't be wallowing between the rails or so wide they are almost to the point of being squeezed out of one side.

With a little time spent tweeking you'll end up with good operation. On my N scale layout I once forgot a 11 car passenger train running overnight for a good 11 hours or more. When I came back it was still running smoothly, so yes perfect operation really is possible. It.s not a matter of fixing it now, but rather a process of repeatedly tuning things till it all works.

Sorry about your bad day. I think everyone here has had a day or two like yours. Very frustrating especially after so much work to get rolling.

I meant to say I missed a trick with my old chopping board as I threw one out just like that recently!

Sorry to hear about the frustrating day, I had one last time I was out. Today was fault free and put my faith back in everything.I'm sure it wont be long before you have made a few tweaks and everything is running perfectly :)

You guys with "Garden Railways" are making me envious. I love my "Outdoor Railway", but it's four foot above the garden so the trains aren't mixing it up with the plants. I've got no plans for lowering my baseboards, my garden is too small for that.

Loving how things are shaping up for you Willo.