Hello from Melton Mowbray!

Pjlons83

Hi All,

I was pointed in this direction by a member on an N Gauge forum that I frequent. Our back garden has just been redeveloped to give us more outside space so this leaves scope for me to claim an area in the front garden for a garden railway. We regularly visit a local garden railway that the kids absolutely love and I love model trains, construction and "projects" so I'm looking forward to getting started. I'll be loitering for a while and reading up before any serious work starts so don't expect anything too quick!  🙄

I've chosen 00 gauge mainly based on cost and available space. G Scale is much too big but 00 will still seem huge to start with as my brain is tuned in to N Gauge! 

I'm very much looking forward to developing something fun.

Thanks

Paul 

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum. I'm pleased you decided to drop by and join in.

As I've pointed out previously to other new members, we're only a small group so you may not receive an immediate response to your posts but there will be readers keen to see what you're up to even if they do remain silent.

A garden layout is a great outdoor 'project' and of course it's something everyone in the family can join in with. For sure the kids will love it but with some careful planning then it will add another delightful aspect to your garden that will certainly become a talking point among your friends and neighbours.

Garden layout's are usually long term projects, at least that's certainly been the case with me so don't worry about doing anything too quickly. Read up on our mistakes and plan things thoroughly because even though it will be a step up from your current 'n' gauge experiences, OO gauge still requires very careful planning if you're to achieve successful running. There's nothing worse that intermittent running and constant derailments and you'll have the kids back on their ipads and phones in no time.

We're looking forward to seeing how you get on and don't be afraid to ask for advice - just be prepared to wait for a response at times.