Great model railway challenge

jimbob

Oh dear, l say this very softly, but l do not like this show. Yes l know that having any show on TV that promotes the hobby must be good but there is just something about it that erks me and l don't  know quite what it is.

So let's dissect it a bit. Well, it all appears a bit hurried,  trying to build a working layout in a few hours from scratch is not what the hobby is about. Perhaps in between the segments a short "masterclass" in things like ballesting, track laying, simple electrics etc could be shown. To much emphasis is put on kimicks, although many a boring exhibition layout could learn a thing or two here.

However l do like that they have pushed the boundaries beyond just running a prototypical  layout and have shown that a purely fantasyland layout is still a model railway.

Perhaps it's just an age thing and l'm to set in my ways to accept change. Still it's your layout, and if it makes you happy that's all that matters.

I am mixed with it. I don't like the presenters at all. I can see the fun in getting something going in 3 days, especially with the gimmicks. Some of them are very cleverly thought out and executed. They tell a story using a model railway as the vehicle. It certainly is not for the serious prototypical modeller, but it can feed the imaginative side although how many people want James Bond entering a moving train and then leaping into a pool?  Even the one hour challenge with odd articles is entertaining in it's own way. It is the presenters that kill it for me.

I hadn't watched GMRC since the early episodes of series 1, in fact the very first episode put me off entirely. And then the other night just after I'd read Jim's opening post above there it was on TV - the final! I was going to scroll past but decided to take a look as there was nothing else on. I quite enjoyed it but not sufficiently enough to add it as a series link, should there be another series.

I'll be honest, I've always felt a bit uneasy about publicly declaring my interest in model railways because it seems we are looked upon as 'playing with toys'.  As interesting and entertaining as GMRC might have been for the tv audience I'm not sure it will change the public's perception of our hobby or of those who indulge in it. I guess it's back to my toys.

• Like 1

I think you may have hit the nail on the head here Mick. Am l the only one who hides there copy of the Modeller in the bottom of the trolley when pick it up in Sainsburys. The general public see the programme as entertainment in the same way as Bake Off, they like to see people try and fail. Add to that a few eccentric looking modellers, a couple know it all's, both judges and contestants, and top it off with self styled internet influencers plus the constant "will they finish in time" references and you have the perfect car crash television. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am in favour of giving more publicity to this great hobby but I always feel that people look down on us as eccentric train spotters who wear anoraks lol.

Sometimes you do see good ideas on the show and it’s always great to see a model train out on track and working rather than being in a display case. However I feel it gives beginners false ideas that a layout can be built in a few days.

I don’t publicly announce that I love steam trains and that I have a running layout but I’m not ashamed but  I always feel that they look down on you. I have met someone amazing people in this hobby and made some great friends and enjoyed many hours building layouts and running trains.

2 hours ago, Riddles said:

Next month's Railway Modeller magazine cover will feature Rod Stewart so hopefully that will create some more positivity for our hobby.

Yes I noticed that and I like to read about the more serious side of the hobby. Not that I'm against GMRC at all because there's room in this hobby for all of us and I hope that programmes like that can continue to bring aspects of our hobby to the wider audience.

I do wonder just how much of Rod Stewart's layout is actually constructed by Rod himself? I'm not singling him out for any reason as there are other celebrities with similar layouts, but working up in the attic I know just how long it takes to do even the most basic tasks. I read one article where he stated that after he'd completed his layout he was sat with nothing to do so began writing music again. 

When I complete my layout(s) I suppose I'll just have to twiddle my thumbs.

Well that's answered my question regarding how much of Rod Stewart's layout was actually completed by Rod himself

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50403561

"I would say 90% of it I built myself," he insisted. "The only thing I wasn't very good at and still am not is the electricals, so I had someone else do that."

Absolutely amazing if that's the case. I apologise for even questioning it.