Saffron Garden Railway

StevieG

Good to see more progress Steve.

The class 50 does sound good - I like Paul Chetter's work and the Zimo decoders have great drivability. I especially like the manual braking option. I've been using Rail Exclusive speakers myself recently as the large chunky 'Boom Box' speakers fit nicely in the fuel tanks of class 37s and give a nice deep sound. Which one have you used in the 50 and where has it been fitted?

I have a mix of decoders Zimo and Loksound but agree with you Mick Zimo are much more driveable straight out of the box. Slightly smoother running particularly on starting/stopping. I guess I could play around with the CV’s on the Loksound to improve. One wet day perhaps!  I too love the manual braking function and the air brake noise from it. After buying the class 50 I then bought Paul Chetters Black 5 and that is also fantastic. The 50 has the Big Boomer 40x20x7 speaker. I took out the useless fan mechanism and the speaker fits nicely there under the fan grille.

6 hours ago, Andrew said:

Great to see that 11-car train.  Well done.

Thanks Andrew. The station platforms when built are designed so I can run Up to 9 coach trains. Not often on model railways can you find enough room to run longer trains and the garden gave me that option. My indoor layout of Mallaig allows up to 4 coaches. The real Mallaig can handle up to 6 coaches but I just didn’t have room.

Hi Steve, agree with Andrew well done on that 11 car train, what sort of motor t=does that have to pull that many, I have a special Flying Scot 4472 with he dual tenders, I made use of the second tender and motorised it, both motors are the same 5 pole, had to buy chassis to fit the motor wow,she can pull 11 plus coaches, mine are the maroon colour with the fray roof, will have to buy a British loco don't know which one.

Some of my track decking will be staying permanent will cover them with the same black spastic sheeting , I started work on how I  will be joining up my station modules , be interesting how you be building your station platforms, I need to keep the weight down on each module , my layout is a modular set up.

Keep the pic progress coming , Tony from nice down under 

8 hours ago, aussietmrail said:

Hi Steve, agree with Andrew well done on that 11 car train, what sort of motor t=does that have to pull that many, I have a special Flying Scot 4472 with he dual tenders, I made use of the second tender and motorised it, both motors are the same 5 pole, had to buy chassis to fit the motor wow,she can pull 11 plus coaches, mine are the maroon colour with the fray roof, will have to buy a British loco don't know which one.

Some of my track decking will be staying permanent will cover them with the same black spastic sheeting , I started work on how I  will be joining up my station modules , be interesting how you be building your station platforms, I need to keep the weight down on each module , my layout is a modular set up.

Keep the pic progress coming , Tony from nice down under 

Hi Tony, thanks for your comments. Amazingly it's an old Lima class 40 which I bought new in about 2002 I think. I haven't used it much but gave it a quick oil and clean before running. I have added the Hornby class 40 sound decoder. I must have been lucky as the motor works really well.

I'm aiming to use some treated timber for the platforms in probably 2 lengths so they can be brought into the shed when not in use. The platforms will be 2.8M long, 70cm wide x 19mm high. Dimensions are pretty much the same as Hornbys platforms which I had thought about using. However I decided that clipping enough together for 2 x 2.8M long was going to be a chore and expensive for the number I would need.

Like you I cover part of my layout and it has worked well over the British winter. The cover is over the station area which is where all the point work is located. When it was 'unwrapped' in spring the points were pretty clean and only a quick rubbing over with a track rubber was required. The cover is easy to put over on a frame and when not being used I always cover it over. See my earlier pictures. 

Good luck with your platforms.

• 1 month later...

Selection of clips with the few mineral wagons I have running on the Garden Railway. Must invest in some more freight wagons!

I have also started making some false floors for the wagons with coal loads on top. I'll show these in a future video.

No progress yet with the platforms.

Link to my You Tube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYmxyrVYHbKF0NODKlqzh6A?view_as=subscriber

IMG_7329.JPG

IMG_7332.JPG

IMG_7334.JPG

IMG_7336.JPG

• Like 4

14 hours ago, ba14eagle said:

Those 24t minerals are crying out for some rust!

Agreed and some coal in  them, which I have started to build. At the moment they are being collected from the wagon works brand new. I've not yet been brave enough to weather any of my rolling stock. Airbrushing seems a dark art to me! :-)

Edited by StevieG

10 hours ago, StevieG said:

Agreed and some coal in  them, which I have started to build. At the moment they are being collected from the wagon works brand new. I've not yet been brave enough to weather any of my rolling stock. Airbrushing seems a dark art to me! :-)

Rusting coal wagons doesnt need airbrushing - I use a 3 part painting / removing process that I saw on RMWeb. There have also been good articles in ModelRail magazine, in the last couple of years. Rusting is all about getting texture onto the metalwork.

48 minutes ago, ba14eagle said:

Rusting coal wagons doesnt need airbrushing - I use a 3 part painting / removing process that I saw on RMWeb. There have also been good articles in ModelRail magazine, in the last couple of years. Rusting is all about getting texture onto the metalwork.

Cheers. I’ll have a look for some articles. I’ve got some really old Wagons I can have a practice on. 😀

Had a first attempt at weathering a wagon. Pretty pleased with it. I used some soft pastels which created a dry dust, mixing orange, brown and grey then a mix of burnt umber and Payne’s grey Acrylic paints dry brushed. The coal load was made along the lines as described in Model Rail June 2020 using a false bottom and some black cork granules that look like coal fixed with PVA glue slightly watered down. There are a couple of nuts embedded so I can remove with a magnet. 

E0723DD9-54FA-4226-B84F-7685C31067B9.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Nice weathering Steve and a very realistic coal load. The embedded nut idea I'd not heard of before but I'm sure it would be a great help in removing the loads enabling you to run loaded and/or empty. The simplest ideas are usually the best.

• Thanks 1