Running in the rain

jimbob

None garden railway modellers always scoff that we can't run trains in the wet. Has anyone else seen the latest you tube video from Sam's Trains where he is running a Heljen Tango underwater in an inflatable paddling pool. Maybe not recommended but it proves a point.

Jim, for one moment when I saw the title of the thread I thought you'd taken up some form of extreme exercise!

I've just taken a quick look at the video and can fully understand Iain's comments. I too don't have any time for such things and it proves nothing other than...well, I don't need to say anymore. I'm just amazed at the lengths some people will go to in order to gain 'subscribers', 'likes', or whatever else it is they yearn for, and even more astonished that there are people who encourage it!  Sad days.

Must admit l don't have much time for these "celebrity " vlogs either.  I always wonder if they buy or are supplied (free?)the items they review. If the latter shouldn't they agnloigise that fact? Never seen anyone say the reviewed items rubbish either.

• 1 month later...

Dissenting view here: I like Sam.  I'm fairly sure he's on the spectrum, which gives him a different view on things.  His priorities and enjoyment of the hobby are not the same as yours, is all.  It seems to me he started just videoing his collection, found that people were interested, and carried on.  He has an unpretentious presentation style, and you can see he's learned a lot about the hobby and the subject matter as he's progressed.  Having subscribers means he keeps them happy - hence the underwater tests.

He calls a spade a spade, and his review of the Heljan Tango is as blunt as you'd like.  He says it's rubbish...  and this is probably why he chose to run the Tango through the pool.  Actually, I find his reviews extremely useful - he's observant and thorough, and a good cameraman; white background footage of the many models he reviews, both old and new, is assisting my purchases of new and S/H stock.

He's also curious about everything, so the examination of the track and loco wheels after the pool session was very interesting, and possibly directly relevant to garden railways in damp environments - the dark green chemical layer deposited on track and wheels (probably a mix of nickel oxides) was cearly shown and the speculation that it was more prevalent on the pool test than the plastic tub test because it was a PWM controller was pretty astute.

Yes, he runs his trains on the carpet... but he takes better care of his servicing duties than I did at that age!  I also like that he's a collector, and buys anything that takes his fancy.  I think the industry needs more people like him - enthusiastic - yet he rightly scolds the RTR manufacturers in his reviews for the high prices that seems to be part of the business model now.  He praises Oxford Rail highly for their new models and their value, but does call out the weak points fearlessly, and does give the manufacturers their chance to have a say.  I think Hatton's must love him to bits - I bet they get a fair bit of business through his affiliate links and I'm not going to criticise that, more power to his elbow.

He just likes trains and enjoys model railways.  I certainly can see the joy in that, and I'll continue to celebrate it with him.

Sorry if you thought l was putting Sam's Trains down it was not my intension. I actually found the underwater running very interesting, it certainly dispelled a few miths.

Railway modelling comprises of a very broad church of people, those who want the minutest detail to be correct to those who just like to play trains (me!). Each to there own. I have my pet loves and hates within the hobby, especially on you tube and unboxing videos are one of them! Having said that others love them and who am l to disagree with them if they are promoting interest in the hobby then more power to them.