Planning and building a vertical staging yard

Have being lacking a staging yard on all my layouts, when I found 00/HO scale garden railway , still didn't have enough room and the cost for a staging yard put me off, now I have come up with a great idea that has solved all the issues and also  space wise and cost has being cout own by unter half.

I though of the idea if using an ironing board as the main adjustable part of the vertical staging  yard, last time I went to the demolition yard to buy a piece of off cut ply I saw an ironing board on top of a pile of junk, I went back yesterday and it was still there, asking the bloke have much he wanted for it , $5  so grabbed it .

Since I am on a budget , I have seen other modules cut groves in the timber as rails and it worked, I wont be doing the  same instead  using strips of  balsa wood for the track, I will later have a second level on top for locos and refuelling sand dock for locos with at the end a turntable  where there be work shops for the diesel locos .

The second pic is hare far down the ironing board will go when locked in, I will have to build a bracket for it to go lower , one end of the legs be locked in place on the floor so it wont move making it easier to go up and down,.

Haven't worked out how much track I be having on the staging yard, probable 5 tracks enough to build up a log train ,long time coming, not far away now, be ready when I finish the first stag of the layout, on a high

Tony from down under

IMG_3200.jpg

IMG_3201.jpg

IMG_3202.jpg

Early morning Mick, yeah the idea is a cheap way for the vertical staging yard to work , will have to make a bracket to hold one set of legs down and other with adjustable brackets to keep the top level, once I buy a length of ply the staging yard will come together a lot clearer.

At the moment the focus is on Camdale finishing off the last stage of construction, today I be working on changing the bus feeder wires now I have  finished with moving and added more points , posting pics of the finishing of re-a lining of track and points into the terminus platform track.

Tony from very cold down under