Sign in to follow this  
chris

Crafting (paper) Cutter

I've recently acquired a crafting cutter to assist me with my modelling.

IMG_7246.thumb.JPG.80e79239b481e321ca0cc0ae5846f1e6.JPG

It works in a similar fashion to the plotters that were all the range in the 1980s, except this cuts lines rather than draws them.

it can do very intricate and accurate cutting and scoring.

IMG_7247.thumb.JPG.772b9490aba49e244e67e9531d7cea98.JPG

I created a name sign to mount of the roof of a warehouse build. Which I then stuck to the backsence.

IMG_7248.thumb.JPG.66b6278cf1739bdc2de7d9fae3c43708.JPG

But it's real value is in cutting and scoring bits for building 3D card models. Using cereal box and OHP acetate as my mediums I've created a kiosk for a cinema.IMG_7252.thumb.JPG.6ca6ae8203a8a0f22bdd0c739f6388e7.JPG

The accuracy is amazing. I used trigonometry to calculate that the strips that went above and below needed  to be 1mm longer it's scores nudged by 0.2mm so it wrapped round snuggly. IMG_7253.thumb.JPG.248e96f750e5e4ac254884df0e5e2875.JPG

The next step is to start working with styrene, but I will need to do some test cuts to get a feel what it can cut and score.

Hi Chris, I am very interested in your  crafting paper cutter, what brand is and was it expensive to buy, could it print parts for winches like what you have just down, pretty awesome, could open up for other parts for the ship  I am building, .

Some I saw was $2000  ++.

Tony from down under.

Hi Tony. It is a Silhouette Portrait and cost about £150.

The software is a bit clunky to use, but it has all the features you will find in graphics software and I got used to it very quickly.

It's great when you need to cut out a shape a few times, like window frames or lintels. Draw the shape and Copy and Paste it as many times as you need it and then let the cutter get on with the job.

Hi Chris, I saw a video on you tube wow very impressed indeed, so may of that model to choose from, can yous print decals, will keep a close eye when you try to print on poly onto plastic sheets.

They made it so easy when watching them on you tube.

Posted (edited)

At the moment I'm making a lot of windows with my paper cutter. My technique is to laminate three laters of card to create the depth of the window frame and then glue it onto the background window pane. The cutter is so accurate it is easy to glue the pieces together using a cheap PVA which takes a while to go off and therefore give me the time to get them properly aligned before I leave them under something heavy so they glue flat.

IMG_7277.thumb.jpg.c4650599253c84c6fd4a51f853b2feee.jpg

The kiosk for the cinema is now in the finished building.

IMG_7276.thumb.JPG.9f6e9e72ed8723970be77ac650b96ea9.JPG

Its all rather chunky because it's On30 (1:48ish) and themed on a children's book.

Edited by chris

16 hours ago, chris said:

At the moment I'm making a lot of windows with my paper cutter. My technique is to laminate three laters of card to create the depth of the window frame and then glue it onto the background window pane. The cutter is so accurate it is easy to glue the pieces together using a cheap PVA which takes a white to go off and therefore give me the time  to get them properly aligned before I leave them under something heavy so they glue flat.

IMG_7277.thumb.jpg.c4650599253c84c6fd4a51f853b2feee.jpg

The kiosk for the cinema is now in the finished building.

IMG_7276.thumb.JPG.9f6e9e72ed8723970be77ac650b96ea9.JPG

Its all rather chunky because it's On30 (1:48ish) and themed on a children's book.

I think it all looks charming in it's colourful eccentricity.  Totally brilliant!

6 hours ago, roddy said:

I think it all looks charming in it's colourful eccentricity.  Totally brilliant!

Have to wholeheartedly agree with Roddy.

They look superb Chris and the results certainly justify the outlay on the machine.