Looking for a new Train speed controller.

DEANO

Good Afternoon,

I am looking to replace my train controller in the near future and was wondering what controllers others are using and what people recommend? My layout is DC and I am using the Bachmann standard controller but I am looking to upgrade it. I have heard that the old ones used in 1960s and 70s are better than modern day ones is that correct.

Thanks in advance

Deano.

I can't help with suggestions for a decent DC controller I'm afraid. I also rely on the standard Bachmann or Hornby 'train set' controllers when I need to test anything under DC control but being primarily DCC I've never taken any notice of the latest offerings for DC controllers.

I remember an old Gaugemaster controller I once had many years ago provided some excellent slow speed control (simulation setting) and I imagine they've improved again since those days. I see they still manufacture a range of controllers for single through to four-track operation.

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the reply, The budget won’t stretch as far as Dcc so I will be sticking to DC, I was just looking at Gaugemaster controllers bit expensive so will be looking at something second hand. I would also like one with spare outputs also.

Deano

Hi Dean, I stick with Gaugemaster controllers, sadly there isn't a lot out there that market DC controllers. Would not buy secondhand unless you know the seller, there must be other British brands out there, had a look at your local hobby shop and ask him, he may be able to order one in for you.

Tony from down under, very hot here 

Hi Tony,

I agree it’s a limited market for Dc controllers, Gaugemaster master controllers look good and some good reviews. My local model railway shop has them advertised on his website, might be the way to go.

Deano