Which paint?

PaulM381

Does anyone have any advice on the best paints I can use to paint a plaster covered hill I have built on my layout?

There are some rock shapes built in to the hill which will need paint as well. 

Thank you in advance for any pointers....

Is this located indoors or outdoors Paul? If it's outdoors then I would imagine the plaster will also require sealing?  I used enamels thinned with white spirit to paint my plaster based platforms, allowing the mix to soak into the plaster so perhaps something similar to that?

Almost everything with a garden layout is trial and error. Even if a product states 'waterproof' or 'weatherproof' you can bet that a garden layout will prove it to be otherwise. I recently used an EvoStick waterproof exterior adhesive that failed miserably. It's wise to try as many methods as possible and see what works best for you in your particular situation.

Thanks for the info Mick. The plaster is Cassinis waterproof plaster which says its good enough to cast water features with. Hopefully it will hold up for a while. I've thought of using green external masonry paint for a base coat all over and then pick out different sections for rock coloring. 

I would really like to put a lighthouse on it as well with a working light but it seems near on impossible to find a lighthouse that will withstand being outside in the right scale. There are some out there but they seem to cost a fortune. 

• 2 months later...