Deano’s Garden Railway.

DEANO

1 hour ago, Storm trooper said:

Pouring with rain in Derby and cold even thinking about putting the heating on. 

Crazy weather.
Here in southern Germany today is the first day where it should not rain, but my father who lives near Bremen in northern Germany, just told me that there the highest forest fire danger level was proclaimed.

Hi Deano and TheQ, you guys have crazy weather, down south is like that three climates in one day  for Melbourne, it got cold this afternoon thought it was going to rain may tonight , sure need it, send some my way .

My wife just told me about Bunning throwing the towel in and sell Homebase for a Pound.

You can't do any wiring when it is raining Deano in your car port, that is when I do the wiring when it is raining and can't do anything else.

Tony from down under.

3 hours ago, ThomasI said:

Crazy weather.
Here in southern Germany today is the first day where it should not rain, but my father who lives near Bremen in northern Germany, just told me that there the highest forest fire danger level was proclaimed.

They've had grass land fires, on Arthurs Seat, the hill behind Edinburgh!!

Oh Norfolks just had a yellow warning issued for heavy rain, thunder and lightening.

Edited by TheQ

Rain eventually stoped today so I went outside and completed my station track work, drilled holes in place for dropper wires so just electrics to do now. Then run a train or two lol

cheers Deano.

Good Morning,

Started on my electrics yesterday not finished them yet but I tested the track with my multimeter and have power all the way round.

Mounted the track controller inside my shed and drilled a hole through the shed to outside to push the power cable through to my layout.

My layout is not as a grand as the stuff you guys build but I’m happy with it, Still got lots of little jobs left.

Tried to upload a video but my video camera is playing up will try on my phone later.

My layout measures 2.8 meters by 3.2 meters using  Hornby points and 12 pieces of Peco code 100 flexitrack.

(please excuse the mess in my carport not had time to clean up in there)5F6ABDB3-70E5-40C5-AC95-21C20AAAB9BC.thumb.jpeg.4448536f918b474cce2b2158f60527a8.jpeg

Hi Deano, well done a new outside layout is born, can't wait to see your trains running, I am on a high too, points and track work down on the main line.

Sadly the unthinkable happened, when I was testing my sons Thomas tank loco, after cleaning the wheels she ran well for an very old loco she went of the  module onto the ground didn't bounce but sadly the funnel broke off and the same with his face, can't find the funnel will still keep looking, an't find it got an eye out for a shell on UK eBay.

You said you bough a Thomas tank engine is that funnel pretty tall, can't remember if my sons was a stubbly one, I will have to buy that shell and either cut the funnel off or replace the shell, not happy as his loco is going to get the first honors to run  around the layout.

This is why I am a big supporter of garden railways, the trains haven't got far to fall off.

Tony from down under. 

Hi Tony,

So sorry to hear about your Thomas model it must have huge sentimental valve included in this post are photos from my Thomas model hope it helps.

It's a Hornby model and there latest and last model they will make

IMG_20180528_141225_DRO.jpg

Hi Deano, thanks for the pics , I found a Thomas shell and bought it, as you said being discontinued by Hornby, expensiveness  derailment, $42 posted from UK , yes sure has a sentimental value , he  got the set for his 6th birthday, he would of being 32 in July, I might still run his with the old shell, temporary fix a funnel and switch to the new shell after the first run on the layout., will take a couple of weeks to arrive.

That was the first loco to come off the module since I started 20 years back, will post a pic of my when he was 6 years old playing with Thomas, on the first layout.

Tony from cloudy down under.

s-l640.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello from a cold and wet uk, Today arrived my new EBay purchase a small goods shed. Condition of it is quite good very small amount of damage but easily fixed. Overall very happy only paid £4.20.

03DA310E-C6E7-4C81-9627-CCD0A3462169.jpeg

7CFFBDBA-EEAC-40B1-806A-D469E714EE91.jpeg

D05859C9-D23C-4F9B-B2C6-32C049F833CE.jpeg

039D417D-6901-4FB8-8F4C-EC5B20A5C42F.jpeg

65A15574-C2F8-45E6-9DCF-B3567163EC8E.jpeg

95A9A792-C298-4E86-8191-DABF07EFB8B8.jpeg

D750E667-2D94-4451-9493-F954641FFA98.jpeg

01098BDB-1B4A-434C-BDE9-ED4AB639B560.jpeg

Hi Deano, fancy that because  the replacement Thomas shell arrived here today, very happy will be going in the glass cabinet till I am ready to swap it over.

Very nice indeed, gee I wish we could get that felt, looks very nice  and can see what you did to fix you to fix that problem, I have a tone of building kits I got from my late Uncles train collection.

I be doing the bus wiring on three modules for the next few days and will make a start on the spiral.

Are you running any trains yet, keep the pics flowing, hope the weather is kind over there so you can run the trains, only set back with garden railways.

Tony from cloudy down under.

Edited by aussietmrail

Hi Tony,

Yes mate loco’s have been running around my layout happily thank you, Still got a small amount of wiring to complete.

yes I’m very happy with the roofing felt I wrapped it around each decking board then nailed it underneath using galverised  nails before I screwed it all together.

The weather here is a cold and wet today but has been really nice over the last few weeks. My layout is now permanently under the carport so I can run in any weather.

Lets us know when your wiring is complete and hopefully see a loco up and running.

cheers Deano 

0CCF9E8A-F63B-4C72-80C2-B94215D86B5A.jpeg

Early morning  Deano, that roofing felt  you did a good job, looks real effective indeed, I may just sprinkle some gray colour sand as ballast, don't like  too much ballast, if you ever want to change some of the track hard to lift up and clean..

Yesterday I made a start on the bus wiring, ran out of heaver wire for the main line track, will work out how long the module on how much I will buy so there isn't a lot of wastage, to buy a full roll 100 meter roll $95, don't want to pay that much, have to buy a bit a time. 

Might do a bit more today before the meeting I have to go to mid afternoon, I make up wire harnesses and turn the module on it's side and push the feeder wires through and staple the bus wire in place, makes it pretty easy that way.

Bugger about the weather over there, what part of England do you live, Melbourne Adelaide and Canberra can have three climates  in one day in summer , drive ya nuts,.

Keep the pics flowing, do you have any plans to extend your layout out into the yard.

Tony from sunny down under, that will change showers predicted for this afternoon.

Hi Tony,

Thank you, I live in Derbyshire uk weather men say today will be hot and sunny I do hope so got some jobs to do on my layout today.

I do plan to build and an extension inside the track I have already layed using a separate controller so I can run 2 trains at the same time but due to financial reasons I scaled down my plans.

keep up the great work Tony.

Cheers Deano 

Hello Tony!
I do not know what you mean by "heavier wire".
But 100m for 95 Australian dollars (61 euros) sounds extremely expensive for me!
The thickest cable I use, copper strand of 0.25mm2, costs here 8.50 euros for 100m.

Thomas