Deano’s Garden Railway.

DEANO

Day 1

Today construction began for my garden railway, I cut my decking boards to the correct length and correct angles where  needed. I was lucky enough to be able to someone else’s large power drop saw which made life so much easier.

Tomorrow I will be wrapping each piece of decking board in black roofing felt. 

D7D397D3-A4BE-4AE0-8473-ACF7BF565757.jpeg

4B416B83-BDD7-49B9-BDB8-ECA583624926.jpeg

6E975333-4EBD-4FF2-8F63-43B1B85169CD.jpeg

Hi Deano, a new garden railway is nearly on its way, handy to have a drop saw, the more electric tools the better making it quicker in building, I have three drills one electric and other two battery, second one I use for countersinking and other a compact driver for screwing, I can build a module in one day now.

I made myself a circular saw cross cutting jig to save money, knowing I wont have a use for it one the layout has being built, I put a pic of the jig on my Camdale  post .

Wish I had a level yard like yours, mine if I put a string line from the top of the back yard will come in  line with the roof off the pergola, would need a spiral to reach the top of the back yard and same on the other side .

Did you watch the  Royal wedding we did till after 10.45 pm my time, see more on TV .

Look forward to seeing more progress pics, going over to my friends hose to drop off the rolling of wire I have, he is wiring up my control panel for me.

One thing I can not get hold of over here is roofing felt, painting the modules and sections gray is as close I can get.

Tony from down under.

Hi Tony,

Yes Tony I did watch the Royal wedding yesterday with my family we didn’t have a party but a lot of my neighbors did.

Suprised  roofing felt is not available over there it’s very popular here most DIY stores  stock it.

its currently 6.30am here so I will give it a few more hours before I start again today. Looks like it’s going to be another hot and sunny day today.

Post some pictures of your control panel when the wiring is complete be interesting to see that mate.

Take care

Deano.

Hi Deano, you be well under way working on the decking for your layout making the most of the warm weather, it was quite nice here too, could of got to 27 degrees  late afternoon, I got stuck into marking and cutting the arch pieces that make the arch of my bridge.

Yeah it is not, Bunning have never heard of it unless it comes under a different name here, more added cost which I am trying to keep down,  being on a budget.

Mainly watched the weeding because my wife is related to the Queen, 22 cousins inline, has Royal blood in her , through her mothers side.

No worries will do when my friend finishes the wiring, I dropped off the the rolls of wire for him, wont take him long once he gets stuck into it.

Same with you, still haven't done anything about setting up a Facebook account of my own, a lot of family don't want me to take over my sons account, will have to cancel it  when I do set my own.

Heading over to my page t post some pics of today's effort.

Tony from down under, 

Day 3 of construction 

Not been a great day today managed to glue and screw all the boards together all ok no problems.

After I had the garden railway in position I dislike it were it is  So I have moved it into the car port.  We very rarely use it and we can get the car on the driveway ok.

Plus points if I leave the railway in the car port

1. I can run trains in any weather 

2 lighting in there

3. Power socket very close by in the shed.

4. Good quality cctv camera in there.

5. Nosey neighbours can see me lol 

6. Tarmac flat surface 

Going to stop for the day today I’m in a lot of pain now, No construction tomorrow as I have been told that a local market Tomorrow that will have a 00 gauge stall and it’s only a 15min drive away. So I might pop down tomorrow see if there are any bargins to have.

Deano 

256B91FD-0F60-4BB3-8E02-93EED773DBB8.jpeg

Hi Deano and TheQ,, had a look at the UK Bunning, wow, spars, I think our  Bunning do but not that cheap, what do you think of Bunning The Q.  

You have done well Deano, good to stop if youare in pain, I pushed myself as well , wanted to get the corner out the way, if I stopped half way through mightn't get back for a few days.

What is your plan in the middle, will you landscape with plants, an easy way is you can dig holes for the plans and spray the grass, then use matting.

Looking forward to more progress.

Tony from down under.

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Bunnings is an Austrailian DIY company that just over a year ago took over the UK Homebase chain.

They have  over 300 stores in Austrailia and New Zealand, and Homebase brought with them another 265 stores.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/

https://www.bunnings.co.uk/

maybe they can export some roofing felt from the UK to us antipodeans. They have no clue what it is in these parts of the world and we have no equivalents that I know of!

TheQ, + Tony, my roofing felt was from Homebase but was well over a year ago and that particular one has been discontinued. But here is one from a local diy store so will give you an idea on price over here.

CDCE12D0-B484-4DD5-86C1-953F3028A1B0.jpeg

Thou shalt not covert another mans roofing felt! I tried last time home to get some of this in New Zealand. Even took a picture of a roll from Wickes off their website into our Mitre 10 mega. ( think big B+Q). The guy said whats it for. I looked at him. Its roofing felt I said. But whats it for he said. I left. Here they tend to use tin roofing for such things or polycarbonate sheeting. Oh well. Being an expat pom can be frustrating sometimes.

cheers

mark

23 hours ago, aussietmrail said:

Hi Deano and TheQ,, had a look at the UK Bunning, wow, spars, I think our  Bunning do but not that cheap, what do you think of Bunning The Q.  

Tony from down under.

Not had a chance to go in it as a Bunning yet, they are converting store by store and ours was only done recently. (they appear to have only converted 24 out of the 265 Homebase)

Q

Edited by TheQ

Hi Deano, TheQ and Mark, wow 35 pounds, be nearly $100 here, yeah Mark I copped that when I asked them at Bunnings never heard of it, my brother a retired builder said you can get roofing felt but not the stuff with the stones, so I am stuck with painting my boards with gray paint, could ad sand gray sand, look at that idea, only be up close to the track.

How are you feeling now Deano ok , try not to push your self always another day, if I intend to stay up on my feet all day, my legs swell up , had to finish that module. 

Half my layout is in under the pergola like your layout in the car port still outside, will you still extend out into the yard, at least it is flat,mine isn't .

TheQ, I didn't know Bunning bought out Homebase chain .

Tony from down under

Having said all that abut Bunnings, It's on the business news today, that they've thrown in the towel and are chosing one of three buyers for the Homebase chain today. It sees a remarkably short time to have given up on the situation. The report said whoever buys it, is likely to shut many stores...

Very sad to hear that, it happens over here as well, it is the stuff that loses. like our car industry gone, Bunning is doing very well over here.

Warm weekend coming up be making the most of it outside on the layout.

How are you going Deano.

Tony fro down under.

Hi Tony,

Hello from a very hot uk, How are you getting on Tony Hope your health is improving.

Progress is slow but steady I have decided to keep my layout in the car port permanently.

My wooden decking frame is complete 

My wood is covered in roofing felt.

My track work is nearly complete just the station area to complete.

Electrics are being done on Saturday and Sunday.

cheers Deano

99C10A31-2F71-4852-8853-57FE824C10A5.jpeg

D65E51B4-ED34-4C92-AEFC-76E03CEFA9FD.jpeg

Hi Deano, wow you are going great guns trains running early next week, a new outdoor layout up and running. soon well done.

See you using the the curve tools, much easier to get those curves right especially coming off the curve onto the straight , very hard with flexi track, how much did they cost .

It is cool here with cloud cover, rain predicted, in the low 20's, 8 over night being down to 1 degree, we cop heavy frost here, no more nice green grass, at least I don't have to mow every week as in summer.

Keep an eye out on my post pics to posted of my efforts today.

Tony from cloudy down under.

Hi Tony,

I purchased them from EBay I have three tracksetta tools, one of them was brand new £7.50 the other two where second hand and about £5 each for them. They have been so useful and worth every penny.

keep up the good work Tony.

Deano from a very cold and wet uk.

Interupting the real purpose of this thread, Bunnings bought Homebase for £340million, 2 years ago, yesterday they sold it for......£1  ouch... the buyers are Hilco a private restructuring company...expect lots of closures and redundancies...

good idea to use the track settas,

it's warm and wet over here on the east coast.