Deano’s Garden Railway.

DEANO

Hi Deano, Thomas,  I have being  told to use heavier wire for the main line, some modelers use house wire, too thick for me, the thickness wire I use is about 1mm thick for the main line and using thinner wire for the station track  blocks close to the panel., that price is pretty good, I buy by the meter , working out on the length of the module . I buy at time enough wire for a few blocks , so there isn't too much wastage.

Did  a bit more work on the corner module today, two more blocks to make bus wire harness.

Tony from cloudy down under.

Hello Tony,
So you use cables as they are installed in cars with 1mm² ??
I use cable with 0,25mm² and these should be at 16 to 20 volts for min. 5A be good.
That would be about 100 watts of transferable power (or 0.1 kilowatts).
That seems to me sufficient even for DCC.
For cables with 1mm², you could chase through 15 to 16A at 16V, so an output of about 250W.
I do not know a transformer for DC which creates more than 70W.

For a cable of 1mm², the price is okay.
However, I do not want to offend you, but I think you spend money unnecessarily.

It is not a problem to use thick cables, I also use house cables that I have from the construction of our house still there.
But spending a lot of money in my opinion is not necessary.

Best Regards

Thomas

Edited by ThomasI

• 11 months later...

Hi Dean;, you did a great going lengthening those platforms,love your 66 class stunning colour scheme, ish we  had that felt over here.

I haven't had a chance torun my new loco backwards not well asthma is playing up can't stop coughing when I start, seeing the doc tomorrow, hope she gives me prednisone,have had a course of antibiotics.

Hope yu are ok.

Tony from down under 

My New Hornby class 66 “Golden Jubilee” on my layout today. One of the most quietest smooth locos I have used.

I've got a couple of these 66 from when they were manufactured by Lima. Quiet and smooth they are not. I re-motored one as an experiment, but it didn't improve things much.

By the looks of things the new 66s have the same motor as the Class 91 I bought a few years back and that can haul a 10 coach train with just two powered axels, so I guess that the new 66's will be equally as impressive.

I'm seriously impressed with the new 66's for the price, actually thinking of getting a couple more! Currently trying to add lighting to mine meaning its in bits on my workbench with a load of its chasis hacked away - just hope i havent messed it up!20190528_124137.thumb.jpg.af0d88c7386754d3a8c602a988ec80e2.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Good Morning Everyone,

Today my Ruston R3707 was delivered as you know I have been wanting one since they were announced by Hornby. They have been a huge success Hornby and many other shops sold out I was lucky enough to find one in Hattons. I have taken a photo of it next to my Flying Scotsman so you can see how small they are. Sadly  I can’t take a video as my layout is not up and running as it’s have a winter refurb but I made a short test track up in my living room and it’s working well very pleased with my purchase.

Deano

807939D3-F18A-4B9D-A83F-9DEDBA97C469.jpeg

BF19A1B0-4795-4B53-978A-0D774DFA212A.jpeg

C594F0FA-654C-4BC6-AA4E-3EB4D378A3F6.jpeg

D23F8BF1-67A4-4C68-A184-68A850B4C7D6.jpeg

01EBE518-DDB3-43C8-A29B-A0313861EE94.jpeg

47A31287-8017-4127-8798-3075B0FE3206.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

I use a small amount of copper grease when sliding the fishplate on to the flexitrack to help prevent oxidation of the joint. Not something you have to do and there maybe people who disagree with this but something I like to do.

regards

Deano

• Like 1