In and out of the garden

I decided to begin with a small indoor layout, so I'm using nickel/silver EZ-track, not fixed to the baseboard. Meanwhile, my wife was setting up a picnic table with potted plants, and I realized the track fit perfectly on the table, surrounding the plants. Now the track and trains can get an airing in the garden, or I can set them down on my scenic-ed layout in the garage. In a way, the garden track is an extension of the indoor one. Next, of course, is to get more track, for a permanent outdoor display...and maybe a station. Hmmm...Platform, goods shed, engine shed...I'm on my way to becoming a railway baron.

Yes my system runs (rather it will go there) on the one hand in the house and on the other hand in the garden.
The advantage is that on the one hand the trains can be easily parked in the house and evacuated into the house, on the other hand, you can still use the generous space outside.

You'll need to get a shed to put it in...

Having a shed, into which you can run your track is quite common, even if it's just straight into a fiddle yard.that way you don't spend ages getting everything out before a running session.

Many of us also have the track run into a layout into the shed (or plan to). so in the bad weather there is still some runnning capability.

Edited by TheQ

I was going to build a Tardis shed, but it was vetoed by management.

I suppose the good thing about a dual layout is seeing which one works better. My trains may not withstand the sun where I live. OTOH, one of these days I'll pull the car into the garage, and BOOM! SMASH!

15 hours ago, Will93/4 said:

I suppose the good thing about a dual layout is seeing which one works better. My trains may not withstand the sun where I live. OTOH, one of these days I'll pull the car into the garage, and BOOM! SMASH!

I used reminder appliances on the garage floor to stop the (ex)wife from driving into my railway - Timber battens screwed to the floor 9_9

On 5.4.2018 at 16:22, Will93/4 said:

A friend of mine lit an old Roco car with professional equipment to see how sunlight works on model railroads.

After an exposure time and intensity that, according to him, would have killed me a dozen times for skin cancer, the color began to fade discreetly.

So the temperature emanating from the sun may actually be a problem in an exposed place, the light at least I think it is not.