aussietmrail

Modelling a cable stay double deck bridge

I bit the dust and decided to add a tower and go cantilever design bridge, I still wanted to use the arches I cut out, turned them over to become a new bridge, hopefully will work this time. I will have redesign the approach to both ends of the bridge so the other half of the arch works in well. May end up lifting the main arch up a n inch will see what  happens. I am basing the bridge on the Story Bridge in Brisbane my span may be a bit longer scale wise.  the second arch wont be as long as the main arch, going by drawing I stumbled on be about 3 feet long , will work out well, pity the cantilever design is an old design

I still need to build a frame that will sit over the bridge join  bolting to the arch frame, yep I be able to nail the  track down  before I screw the road deck in place, will paint the rail deck first.

Tony from down under, Easter over for another year

IMG_2868.jpg

IMG_2870.jpg

• Thanks 1

The bridge becomes gigantic.
My bridges for the lower High Speed Line are finished, but since today it's raining ..

For this I completed the planning for the first big bridge of the upper High Speed Line and ordered the material.
I base it on the construction of the Metlac Railway Bridge in Mexico.
That means it will be a concrete beam bridge.

In the model, the support beam will be an aluminum square tube of 80 x 80 mm.
The pillars will also be an aluminum square tube but of 80 x 40 mm.
Then the 130mm wide support plate made of HPL is fixed on the support beam, on which lie two tracks. 

15562890623016802847336048322446.jpg

Hi Thomas,thanks , I have  done some more work on the bridge finishing screwing in place the hangers which strengthened the arch, still some more framing to be added between the hangers.

Once I finish the second half will build the piers so I can sit the towers onto the piers, will add some weight to the piers, might be able to close in a  couple of bricks,then sit the ship on the floor.

I like the pic of your bridge, was it printed using  a 3/D printer, would love one to print winches for the ship , noticed you have  a walk way with hand rails too, I will have on my bridge and on the arch too.

Looking forward seeing,them  some pics of your concrete arch bridge, like them as well, beam frame is quite big what is the span between piers.

Tony from down under

IMG_2882.jpg

IMG_2883.jpg

• Thanks 1

At long last my double deck bridge is now joined together,, the gp on the rail deck will have to fill the gap but may try to get it closer together , bridge still needs a lot of work on to look like the bridge I have based my bridge on . The middle section on the road eck is now screwed in place, I would love to leave the bridge in one full piece, will try and pick it up tomorrow, if I can't will ask my wife to help me put the bridge on the floor, then be able to slide it out the way.

Long time coming , I think I started a year back, and finely came up with this design, there be an arch on the other side of the tower as well , next is work out the  piers, I am thinking of making them wide enough to fit a large brick in side, hopefully stop the bridge tipping over so it will stand up in its own right, there be a second pier three feet from the main pier.

I am on a very big high, after next weekend I will start back on the layout,  it is our federal election next Saturday, I be manning the polling booth at the school close by.

Tony from cold down under.

IMG_2970.jpg

IMG_2973.jpg

IMG_2974.jpg

IMG_2975.jpg

IMG_2976.jpg

• Thanks 1

As I told you on Facebook, I'm sure that's the biggest bridge in H0 scale worldwide... 

👍👍

Thanks Thomas, I needed the river to be wide enough for two ships passing each other and  smaller sailing ships, I am happy it working out this time, will paint the rail deck and start,laying track down  so I can put a couple of trains on the track,the road deck wont go no till the track is down.

Will need to get s lot of cars, go the cheap Chinese brand same with trucks and buses, 4 lanes and emergency  lane each side with a pedestrian pathway too.

Tony from down under

Now that's some bridge! It looks like being a 2-person job for moving around though and heaven forbid you should ever decide to relocate.

What length is it overall? Counting your block pavings it looks to be about 170 inches or 14.1667 feet to be precise! (Google's your friend) 

Thanks Mick yeah you are close, she measures 14 foot main span, the the hangers are a foot apart, actually should be 6 inches apart, I just wanted to save on timber and weight, rearly two 7 foot modules could become a good test track for locos.

The two other arches be for show to make the bridge look better, just a bit more work to tidy the bridge and finish as far as I will, want to get stuck into Camdale, finishing of the last construction stage, aiming for September 11 my sons anniversary. His Thomas is getting a replacement motor put in and I should have back next week, will be the first loco to run on the layout with the old shell and once gone around a couple of times will get a new shell and old one go into the glass cabinet. The only part left of his thomas is the chassis and wheels, the loco went over the edge of the module when I was trying to clean the wheels, she is 26 years old.

Tony from down under

Forgot to add the full length of the bridge being 20 feet in length, I hope to be ably to unscrew off the two ends for moving around and the bridge left setup on its piers, will have to make a middle pier to stop any sagging if any cat decides to jump up onto the bridge.

Don't know if I will get any work done on the bridge this week, busy week coming up with the federal election campaign , helping out there and voting day this Saturday, cercover after the big party Saturday night , be next week .

Tony from cool down under 

Latest update on bridge progress, a bloke from the Brisbane library sent me some drawing with measurements on the Story Bridge I have my bridge based on,after seeing the measurements the tower was far too high, real bridges tower is 40 metres from road deck. I decided to cut my tower down to the right height and that changed the angle of the arche to not as  steep, be easier to add steps, the center section now is longer by 4 feet will have to wait on more ply this week some time

Surprising the new tower  is pretty tall, put my HO scale bus in the bridge, still towered above the bus , the middle height is higher as well .

Wont be doing much o  the bridge this week, I might get a chance to cut back the second half  no more until next week some time , going into hospital on Thursday to have a procedure on Friday and wont be going home till Monday after.

I decided to lash out and buy 4 new saw horses, the legs fold up into the orange channel for easy storage, I pulled down the two stands I made from my son's computer table, the timber be used on the four bridge piers, main bridge piers will have paving bricks to weigh pier down so the bridge will stand up in it's own right, that is the plan.

Hopefully finish the bridge off next week and then get stuck into the last stage of the layout.

Tony from cool down under

IMG_3069.jpg

IMG_3070.JPG

IMG_3071.jpg

• Thanks 1