'Copy & Paste' posts onto other forums Read more... ×
aussietmrail

Modelling a cable stay double deck bridge

Have made a start on marking and cutting the  arch sections that will make up the arch, I will use the first pieces as a template for the other sections, I am cutting up off cut pieces I have for each section  today and be starting on the very last corner module, level it and set up all the sections and modules, be an awesome site indeed .

I am not sure what size dowel I will use 9mm or 12 mm , may be for the first one  as it will be taking the main strain.

Tony from cold down under.

IMG_1223.JPG

IMG_1224.JPG

What with a ship and now a suspension bridge plus a spiral on your layout, all at the same time, you dont like keeping things simple Tony! I find it difficult enough just getting the baseboards down and level. Keep the photos coming.

cheers

mark

HI Mark, I like to keep busy, gets my mind off my health issues, the bridge isn't really  a  suspension bridge, designed on the Sydney harbor bridge and modern construction methods modeled on a concrete arch, the bridge has to be in two half's, join in the middle.

Hopefully will turn out and look ok, haven't done any work on the ship for a week, being watching Australian Coast, two more episodes  to go, the BBC did a doco  on NZ Coast too, which I hope to buy, two seasons

Where are you cruising now, is it still cold or warming up .

Tony from down under

Edited by aussietmrail

I have decided to cut square dowel for the hangers off the arch that supports the decking  after seeing a Chinese bridge which has them, save some money and have the timber, just have to cut the pine up into 12mm by 19mm, not square, will make it easier in fitting square dowel to the arch in stead of round.

Will cut square dowel on Friday going to be fun, use the circular saw to do the first cut and jig saw for the next, I plan to only have the rail deck up with a third bridge pier only temporary till the arch is built.

Tony from down under

• Like 1

bought some 7 foot paling for the rail deck sections, and some of them have started to warp I had to make a start on the rail deck screwing the paling on the two sides, used one of the paling that had started warp, picked out one of the straight paling for the first side and wasn't easy screwing the warped one on moving the clamp down us I screwed in the screws.

First up I sanded down the paling smooth, making it easier to measure and mark where the paling went , looks better sanded as well, if the sides are to high will cut them down, have to see the trains on the bridge.

The support framing for the upper road deck will screwed onto the bridge sides and I plan to have a walk way on top of the paling, be double track passing loop on the bridge, three more to build, I put the rest of the paling in the tool shed, each section is 7 feet except the last  one being longer, I had to have the screws 6 inches apart .

Tony from down under.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Being a while, since any updates on the bridge construction, I have changed the design of the arch mainly to the entrance two both ends of the bridge and  made it easier to mark out each piece that will make up the arch, be in two halve the first two pics the drawing of the new arch, using it as a temp plate.

The third pic I plan to have people jumping off with wind gliding kites as on the pic , last pic is what I be basing the entrance  of the bridge, the real bridge is called the Story Bridge on the the Brisbane river, will have steps to the top of the arch, something different a heli pad on top as well, will have to look for a 87 scale of helicopter.

Will make a start on the arch after the weekend, getting the  inside of the house painter today , tonight put most of the furniture back and vertical blinds back tomorrow.

Just as well as is not hot outside under the pergola .

Tony from down under 

IMG_2082.jpg

IMG_2083.jpg

IMG_2086.jpg

IMG_9261.jpg