The Applebee and Lavendar line.

markgd

Thanks Roddy,

Just been looking at Ians use of O and OO together. Set me thinking. I was going for a double track O gauge bed but now wondering whether to have one O and one OO track. Wished I had not looked after selling most but not all my OO stock! AAAH! Got to wait and see if Mick will boot me off first if I dont lay a bit of OO :-)

cheers

mark

8 hours ago, markgd said:

.AAAH! Got to wait and see if Mick will boot me off first if I dont lay a bit of OO :-)

I'm still pondering that one Mark 😉

What's behind your decision to go over to O gauge? You seemed to be getting on so well with the oo setup though as you mention, there is the possibility of doing something similar to @ba14eagle and run the two side by side if that's of interest.

good morning Mick, I guess the decision was made for me. A friend from the UK knew I was building a garden railway and brought me a DAPOL Pannier tank and auto coach as a present when he came to stay with us in New Zealand for Christmas 2018. He bought O instead of OO, the wrong scale. When I saw them I was amazed at the details and quality. He was so apologetic. I took a long hard look and thought that if i was going to change scale I had to do it now or not at all before I was any further ahead with the OO build. I can use my existing trackbed for a single line O bed instead of double track OO.  I changed my job at the beginning of 2019 so everything was put on hold. The same friend then sent me a Parkside wagon kit for my birthday in October 2019 and that was the decider. Is was a banana box van and I loved building it. The detail was amazing. So really that is what clinched it. Then I saw BA14 eagles new set up and I'm now wondering whether to run a OO beside the O or whether just to go for O. Choices choices.

Hello Iain, nice to chat to you again. Hope things are settling down in BA14. Seems life is throwing various people curve balls right now. 

I have 6 feet radii. I have cut a 90 degree 6 feet radius template out of ply to use as a guide. It's a bit of a fiddle as a need to get around the back of the shed but I can do it. Eventually I will have to make a 9 feet removable section to get across the lawn which will need some thought but thats a while away just yet. The trackbed is raised up around 3 feet above the garden.  In the OO plan I was using the shed as a terminus. In o gauge its going to be a tight radius to get into the shed. I am only going to use it unpowered to store rolling stock and will push it out onto the mainlines to run it connect it to locos. I will have to schlep the locos into the house every time but so be it. Unless I can have another shed but thats for another day.

Edited by markgd
  • Like 1