Modelling Tor Corona Ro ,Ro vessel in 87 scale

aussietmrail

Hi Thomas, yeah sure does, have made some more progress on the ships bow keel section, I have glued in pacelt the two waterline bottom sheets ready to fill in the sides between the main deck and waterline bottom, will leave that till when I start work on the centre beam and bulkheads fr the bow.

Will have a rest from the ship building and concentrate  the layout and bridge , I have remarked the  bridges arch as a temp plate to build the arch in sections like how the bridges builders build concrete arches.

Once I get past the ships bow the rest be very easy to build,, I check my news agent and they have in stock the 1 mm thick sheet cardboard I am using, will buy 6 sheets, cheaper than the last lot I bought, still cheaper than building out of ply and easier as well.

Tony from nice down under keeping on moving ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

Loving watching this coming together Tony. I am back onboard my own ship now. Have just left Genoa heading for Portofino then Livorno for three days. let me know if I can be of any help.

cheers

Mark

Edited by markgd

Hi Mark, how did you go in England get to Huttons to buy what you needed and do that safety course, now you are back on your ship can send you an email, there are some pics I don't want to put on the forum.

Yeah there is some pics I would like to ask you to take,  once I send those others and  more on the rope winches and anchor winch probably be the same design as my ship I am modelling, ready to make a start on the bulkhead that I made a mistake with before, finally got the redrawing right of the cross section drawing of the ship's hull and bow.

This time be done differently than before to stop the raised deck warping and the bow's keel be cut out different;y as well, she will look more like a ship's bow once I get past that step.

I have being working on my main block control panel been at it for a few days now, I have a post in the Planning stage , called Camdale's planning and building, today I am pulling an old control panel apart, want to use the ply to screw onto the underneath of the panel face, which is only 7mm thick, not good for stapling staples to, make it 12 mm thicker.

I am looking forward to my birthday late June when I get birthday money, going to buy two boxes of Peco flexi track be enough track to complete my layout first circuit and station complex.

Tony from down under

Yup. Missions accomplished. Got to hattons. Went all googly eyed as we have nothing of that size in new Zealand and came away with three boxes of peco 100 flexi track. 66 pounds a box. half the price I would pay in new Zealand. Also visited a model shop in chester and bought a hornby black five with tts sound. All good stuff.

Feel free to email me. I can take photos if it helps. I follow all your postings. Fascinated by the spiral and control box. Bit beyond my skill levels.

Mark from Livorno!

Hi Mark, good you dropped in on Hattons and walked out with three boxes of Flexi track, for your layout , always good to have more than enough track.

Yeah have heard Hattons is huge, same here, we only have one hobby shop in Ipswich that sell trains, he sells boxes of Flexi track for $160 a box and next closest is Brisbane and one shop is only open three days a week, I have about 40 lengths of Peco Flexi track hopefully enough to complete the first full circuit, have found an eBay seller in WA that sells Peco flexi track even cheaper, have to wait  wait till the end of June.

Be free to comment on my other posts, my control has being built now and painted the face of the panel in under coat, heading to Bunning to bye some fine sandpaper so I can sand each coat of paint to get a smooth finish and with a white finish, then top it of with a coat of clear lacquer, going to look awesome with the brown LED holders .

I kept your email will send you one later today,can't do much it is raining, good time to get stuck into the bus wiring, still have two modules to wire and the very last corner module when built.

More progress on the ship build last night, will start looking more like a ships bow section again, much better.

Tony from dull and wet  down under.

Hi Mark,   being busy working on the control panel , now I will have to wait till the weekend for my friend to show me how to wire  the 3 pole 4 position rotary switch, many thanks I did save your bridge drawing, very similar to my ships bridge.

Building the last module this week and cutting up the piece of ply for the rail deck of my bridge, will have to take a video of all the decking and module once set up, need a wide angle lens for the camera.

Tony from cold down under

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the ship, I had to buy a new pair of reading glasses last week and found yet another mistake, guess what started again on keel of the bow , will get this build right, glad I didn't glue the keel onto the main deck, old age is catching up, these news glasses are good no more straining trying to ready the measurements on the ruler, had to buy long distance  glasses for driving as well,not cheap, couldn't handle the bifocals, my wife is having heaps of trouble with hers.

Last night I started marking out the raised deck first this time will them move to the bulkhead at the end of the main deck that goes right to the top of the hull, at least I found a news agent that will get the 1 mm cardboard sheets in for me heaps cheaper than the other I bought and in the next suburb, not far.

Am glad I am using this build as a learning curve to sort out any mistakes for when I build the remote control model with full hull, will have to join a model boat club, the neighbor is pulling his pool down and sister sold her house, she had a pool a Nephew may have a pool , will ask my older sister.

Tony from cloudy down under low 20's today,.

• 4 weeks later...

Back on track with the ship where I had to cut the bow keel off the main deck, rebuilt the bow keel, happy with the the out come, next step is to ill in the other side between the main deck and water line bottom .

Looking a lot better with the second bow bulkhead stopping the raised deck sagging at the sides, there is one more bulkhead to cut out and glue in place, and also sitting much better to the first one e I build. Still a bit more work in re cutting  the support pieces that will brace the the bow keel in place, can see in pic 5, I cut 10 mm strips of card to strengthen the bow keel to the bulkhead, didn't do this last time., once in place and the other side done the same way can start closing in the sides of the bow, going to be a challenge, have mark and cut out the anchor hosing too .

Hopefully in pics 3 and 4 will look like the last pic, be glad to see the end of the bow section, next  two sections be very easy to build and hope to finish the hull close to when the layout is finished, sadly layout will not be finished on the dates I as is, wiring taking up too much time, I am not rushing the build, the 1 mm sheet cardboard  adds up.

Tony from down under.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

1008017  a.jpg

Hi Mark, yeah sure glad when the bow is finished, wont get back to the ship till Thursday night, where are you cruising now., the second second wont be as bad but still a bit of work at  the bottom  which will line up with the bow section, last two sections be be heaps easier, being a rectangle shape, even the stern section be easy.

Tony from cloudy down under, rain coming in tomorrow.

Hi Tony,

I am currently on my way from Valletta in Malta to Sardinia and just passing the western tip of Sicily. I leave on the 6th from Valencia in Spain and will be home on the 8th July. Not long now. Its been really wet and cold at home so I am looking forward to seeing how my external woodwork has held up. Next plan is to get the baseboard down in the shed and continue along in the garden with legs supports and decking. With 3 boxes of Peco flexible track and a new black 5 to play with I need to get some track down. Also have a second hand class 50 to check out as well.

cheers

mark

Hi Mark, can't wait to see more progress construction pics of your layout, I have a Hornby loco from my late Uncles collection that looks close to the Black 5 , no paper work, will put a pic of her on the front of the front gallery, never being run by the look of it.

Sent you a message, let me know if you got it and the pic.

Be rain for the whole week, a chance to track laying, and wiring.

You be glad to get home then and get back into the layout, rest first.

Tony.

Hi Mark, I sent you the message through messenger, you have replied and I have replied back too.

I have done some more work to the ships bow closing in the other side between the main deck and bottom of the  ship , starting to look like the ships bow, have to cut some the cardboard off level and next step is Glue in place the bow keel section, one more bulkhead to cut and glue in place.

It is a challenge to mark out and cut the shape of the bow, intend to waste a bit of cardboard to get the shape right, will have to mark out the anchor recess on both sides before gluing the sides in place.

Had the same problem when building a 87 scale 737 fuselage, will be building more.

Be glad to see the finish of the bow section very hard indeed.

Tony from down under.

• 2 weeks later...

More progress on the ship build, filling in the right side of the front bow around to the anchor  recess panel , I am filling in between the front bow bulkhead to the main deck and raised deck bulkhead, making it easier the glue in place  two thickness cardboard sheets in bending them to the shape of the bow.

Pic one the right side finely closed in , pic two I cut out a st panel and found the anchor recess wasn't level , copping the owners model pic 1514  the drawing plan and real ship the anchor recess is level , I marked out a second panel much better. I am waiting for a friend, with the ship plans did  to get back with measurements of the  anchors he said he has for HO scale as I think my anchor recess is too wide and needs to be square, with the ship plans didn't come with anchor measurements pity.

While I wait will move onto marking out and cutting the knuckle line, looking at pic 1514 is the second line from the raised deck,  be easier for when I close in the top side above the blue line, will have those cut out windows four in a row.

Once all the bow and bow sides are closed in I will fill in all the gaps and shape the front of the bow where I can't use the cardboard..

Last two pics on how the trailers will be parked on the main deck  up to the bulkhead, that be the last bulkhead, the rest of the hull is the decks be the bulkheads, if anyone notices  the ships model and between the real ship, the real ships anchor is up in the hull recess.

Coming along nicely, be glad to see the bow section finished.

Tony from down under.

010.jpg

002.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg

Tor Corona anchor recess and raised dech drawing.jpg

1008017  a.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1460.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ship update,  have finely glued in the the side panels with the cut out windows between the knuckle line and raised deck, gluing in the final layer of card , pretty happy with the way the build is turning out , I could of gone a bit higher with the windows, it will do looks ok .

Will work on the other side this week, it was very hard to glue in place, got fast drying wood glue does help, I put glue on both sides making it easier to line up, get back to the anchor recess will re cut that panel moving the anchor recess long more , needs to line up with the small window.

Still have to mark out and cut the weather cover and sides after finishing the bow section sides, can't wait, being at it for some time now.

Tony from down under

IMG_1579.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

At long last the shelter cover to the raised deck side is complete, it was a difficult build indeed , glad to see it finished can move onto the anchor recess and front bow finishing that off on both side.

I am not a 100 percent happy, but have to do, as I said this build is a learning curve for the next model, pics 1,2,,3 and 5 showing how I built  front the raised deck to the shelter cover in, pic 4  with the shelter cover off, a waiting the winches be a while , last pic once I have finished the bow section be moving onto the main and upper deck stair cases each side, will strengthen the bulkhead..

The bow will look heaps better once all the card joins are filled in and fill where needed, more work on the ship tonight.

Tony from down under

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

At long last I have finely got there in closing one side of the ships bow, hopefully when the other side is closed in and I start filling in the card joins both of the sides will be close as I can get, next ship will be a proper plan with measurements, it is too hard just up scaling  from a printed drawing that could be wrong,

The second set of printed drawing I  might get enlarger  , found, found a printer shop in Ipswich will ask them if they can print GWD files  be better.

AS I said this build is a learning curve, be glad to get the bow finely finished and mover onto the other side of the bulkhead, after this bulkhead there is no more bulkheads, the main and upper decks are the bulkheads.

Tony

IMG_1783.jpg