My first post

DEANO

Hi guys this  is my first post I am moving from N gauge ( too fiddly) to 00 gauge. I live in a bungalow so not enough room to have a indoor layout so really keen on an outdoor railway. I am partially disabled so my brother in law kindly offered to build one for me next spring but I have some questions I was hoping you could answer for us 

1 Do you leave an expansion cap? If so how big ?

2 Do you solder track power wires or do you use an adapter such as peco or hornby ( worried about corrosion)

3 How Do you fix track down to a concrete base.

4 Do you leave plastic or resin buildings outside all year round

thank you Deano.

8 minutes ago, Storm trooper said:

Hi guys this  is my first post I am moving from N gauge ( too fiddly) to 00 gauge. I live in a bungalow so not enough room to have a indoor layout so really keen on an outdoor railway. I am partially disabled so my brother in law kindly offered to build one for me next spring but I have some questions I was hoping you could answer for us 

1 Do you leave an expansion cap? If so how big ?

2 Do you solder track power wires or do you use an adapter such as peco or hornby ( worried about corrosion)

3 How Do you fix track down to a concrete base.

4 Do you leave plastic or resin buildings outside all year round

thank you Deano.

Hello Deano

1 Yes, I do, depends on the temperature when laying the tracks and how long the rails are.

2 I solder track power wires. Since I mainly work with flex tracks of 1m length, I also solder every track to the supply cable.

3 On concrete, I glue material for facade insulation like Styrodur. Available in all thicknesses from 0.5 to 20cm. Use the glue that you also take when building a house. Then I glue the tracks with the gravel on the Styrodur. Have tested various waterproof adhesive but only on a short test track. For longer stretches a somewhat flexible curing adhesive is better to reduce tension in the track.

4. Basically yes. But depending on how hot it gets in the garden, it can happen that some plastic gets soft in direct sunlight. And of course, some paint bleaches out.

Thomas