Scale Trees and Shrubs

chris

I've finally managed to purchase some scouring pads, while in Chester! I couldn't find any in York! I've taken a good look at Ian's photos and got a good idea of how to create his look through shades and layering, but I am curious as to how you have fixed them to each other, the baseboard and the backdrop.

Ian, could you please share some details of the techniques you have used and any lessons learned.

Thanks.

I'm surprised that you couldn't find any scourers in York. Wilkinsons is a good place, cheapest too, and I have also seen them in ASDA and B&Q. I got most of mine in pound shops but they only seem to have multi-coloured ones lately. You need to get them from different places so you get various shades. They all fade differently in daylight too, some turn to a horrible blue! I find it best to tear them to shape rather than cut them.

Mine are all stuck with a hot glue gun, I've used dozens of glue sticks!

My baseboard has plastic angle along the rear edge. It is screwed to the underside of the board, I've put spacers (tap washers) between the angle and the board to prevent moisture getting trapped. Some scourers are glued to this angle which make a sort of hedgerow and some scourers are glued to the backboard which is fixed to the fence. The backboard by the way is 6mm WBP ply painted with masonry paint (Sandtex Smooth Snowbird) which is available in tester pots from B&Q.

Couldn't find any in York's pound shops and Boyes only had coloured ones. Wilkinsons is at an out of town shopping centre on the otherside of the city (near Maplin!) and as a non driver I don't get over there too often. So when I came across a Wilko in Chestaer I purchased lots! Popped into my local Tesos this morning (my annual visit) and purchased a pack, they were a bit pricy, but an all important different shade, I'll get someone else to pick me up a few more packs.

I guess it's time I invest a the hot glue gun.

Tearing them is a top tip, thanks Ian.

• 2 months later...
IanR said:

The backboard by the way is 6mm WBP ply painted with masonry paint (Sandtex Smooth Snowbird) which is available in tester pots from B&Q.

I knew there was something I needed from B & Q. I was next door in Maplin (buying a silicon grease spray) and I could of popped in for some ply.

chris said:

I knew there was something I needed from B & Q.

Don't bother going in B&Q for Sandtex tester pots as it looks like they've stopped selling them.

Homebase sell their own label masonry paint in tester pots though.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

I'm a little old fashioned here,

I've got a large pad of the old Horsehair packing material, looks like a giant brown pan scrubber!! The type that preceded using rubber foam as packing. I'm told by the person that gave it to me, it was liberated from packing a newly delivered Klystron back in the 1980s.

just cut a strip, trim to size , spray green and you have an instant hedge.