BACHMANN 39-005 Highlander Coach Pack

mick

Bachmann 39-005 HIGHLANDER Coach Pack

LNER Tourist Green

With fitted passenger figures

highlander01.thumb.jpg.75dd022b10157172dfcbdf067d21f4b4.jpg

One of my last purchases, before the recent price hikes made me think carefully about future purchasing, here I present the Bachmann 'Highlander' coach pack containing a BR MK2A TSO coach and a Class 101 DTCL, both in LNER Tourist Green livery.

It was the inclusion of the 101 DTCL that persuaded me to purchase this pack as it was used as an observation car at the rear of the Inverness - Kyle of Lochalsh service and this set compliments my existing rake of six 'Highlander' coaches. Yes it's pricey, the 2-vehicle set averaging almost £60 per coach, but compared to what I could achieve myself by modifying a standard class 101 DTCL it seemed like a decent price to pay.

The TSO carries the running number 5154 and the name 'CLAN FRASER' and like the class 101 DTCL is depicted in LNER tourist green with a silver coloured roof.

highlander02.thumb.jpg.4568c8102ec60a5bf6356aa3b70625eb.jpg

Both vehicles include a small representation of various seated passenger figures, approximately a dozen or so in the case of the TSO, which I suppose goes some way to justifying the higher cost. The trouble now is that my other six vehicles do not have any figures fitted so I either have to overlook the fact or start adding some.

highlander04.thumb.jpg.a1f3c90bf639aa19d0edc602d4621101.jpg

Also of note is that one end of the TSO is fitted with the standard tension lock coupler while the other has a DMU coupler to connect to the class 101. Not a problem I don't suppose.

The class 101 DTCL carries the same livery as the TSO but with the running number 6300 and the name 'HEBRIDEAN'. Unfortunately, according to various sources there are one or two small details regarding the model that have been overlooked or misrepresented, such as featuring windscreen wipers when there should be none. Fortunately my modelling requirements are not so fussy so it's something else I can probably overlook rather than risk potential damage by attempting to rectify the problem.

highlander03.thumb.jpg.cb0951eeb6e422cc6401442f39b481b9.jpg

Like the TSO the DTCL includes a number of seated passenger figures.

highlander05.thumb.jpg.b8d8865e9099047c5e00118b758e8c14.jpg

It's not a bad pack, despite the cost, and as I've already said, it's much better than I could possibly manage with my own abilities so a price I was willing to pay.