Heljan BRC&W D0260 Diesel Prototype 'Lion'

mick

HELJAN 4005

PROTOTYPE DIESEL LOCOMOTIVE D0260

lion.jpg

Heljan's model of the 'Lion' prototype diesel locomotive D0260 is due to arrive in the shops later this week. In the unique livery of overall white with gold stripes, the model is released as a limited edition with 4,000 models being available.

For further details you can visit the Heljan website or contact your local dealer.

• 2 weeks later...

I received 'Lion' yesterday, it has been on pre-order for some time from Modelfair.

What a nice model it is. Nice and weighty and it even has buffer beam details already fitted. You have to trim the pipework at one or both ends for the tension lock couplings.

I'll probably be giving it a very light weathering and adding a crew to one of the cabs.

I haven't yet run it so I can't comment on that but I suspect it will run as good as it looks.

Lion 1 (795 x 305).jpg

Lion 2 (899 x 476).jpg

Lion 3 (1008 x 508).jpg

Lion 4 (788 x 540).jpg

Lion 5 (819 x 617).jpg

Lion 6 (1038 x 623).jpg

Very nice photos Ian. 'Lion' looks even better there than it does in any advertisement I have so far seen.

I'm trying very hard to resist. Having previously purchased 'Falcon' and 'Kestrel' it would seem only right that I should complete the trio but with so many new items listed for release I'm looking at completing what I've already got rather than adding further to my stock. 'Lion' is a limited edition but with 'only' 4,000 models being made available I doubt it will be a sell-out immediately so maybe I'll reconsider a bit further down the line. I was absolutely adamant that I would not be getting 'Lion' before seeing your splendid photos..... we'll have to wait and see.

IanR said:

Sorry Mick! ;)

No apology required Ian - it doesn't take much to tempt me into making yet another purchase but I have managed to resist this one so far. However, I'm not sure how long I'll be able to keep it like that because Lion really does look nice :mrgreen:

• 1 year later...

You chaps are so lucky when my Lion eventually arrived it was straight into the repair shop because a drive shaft had come adrift. It had suffered badly in the transit from UK to Australia. If Howes puts fragile stickers on the parcels they send me it seem to just encourage the postal workers to put much heavier parcels on top.

A little history of Lion. It was a big gamble on the part of BRC&W as Falcon made by Brush was made in collaboration with BR. But oddly enough the Sulzer engine which powered Lion was virtually the same as the later Brush Type 4's. Falcon had Maybach engines and went onto become BR stock where as Lion had a massive failure and was taken back to Birmingham and broken up. What a pity it never survived would have been nice to see it in preservation. But then again so would Falcon, Kestrel, LMS 10 000 and LMS Beyer Garrett etc.

Roy.

• 1 year later...

My model of Lion is now winging it's way back to Denmark to the Heljan office as the drive shaft came adrift again after 10 m of running. I emailed Howes the UK agent where I bought it and their reply was that the drive shaft coming adrift is a problem on some of the Lion models. There is nothing they can do.

So I thought to myself "I've tried the monkey, now I'll try the Organ Grinder (Heljan)

I did get told one thing by Howes and that was to disassemble Lion and cut the drive shaft in half and insert a piece of plastic to keep the shaft engaged. If I did that and it didn't work Heljan would say that that is where the problem is. Your tampering has broken the model.

Roy.

• 9 months later...

An update on my model of Lion. As previously written I sent it to Denmark to the Heljan HQ and they have sent it back to me fixed. It now runs like their other models that I have which are. Kestrel, Falcon, Western 1039 and Hymek 7017.

If Heljan couldn't fix it then nobody could.

I guess I must be one of the few who has 'Lion' with sound. Heljan didn't require me to remove the sound decoder before shipment unlike Bachmann.

Roy.