hi everyone

just joined the forum finding my way round the site have yet to do my profile Have just started my oo garden layout extension from the garage layout progress so far have laid the track bed as you can see in photos my garden is on a slope therefor the railway is high at one end and low at other end its a figure of eight twin track with a single line from the layout in the garage I may need to install a helix for the climp up from the garage time will tell may not need as I could double head on to the garden .looking for advice at moment. Have used good decking for bed not sure if its worth using roof felt as I have treated the wood and intend to ballast the tracks I have noticed that roofing felt does not last long on my shed .I have planning permission from the wife as the railway is being built on the veg plot . more fun with trains than weeding and slugs any advice tips etc. please pass on . [ have installed the bus wire ready for track laying

regards trev

IMAG0316.jpg

IMAG0315.jpg

IMAG0314.jpg

IMAG0313.jpg

IMAG0312.jpg

Welcome to the site,58ad93bb141e2_default_icon_wave1.gif.0c0dc9ba89e22f4ff46781668f244388.gif that looks like you've got a good area to work with.

How are you going to stop the soil  around the rubarb getting washed down onto the tracks? 

What have you got in terms of layout in the garage?

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1

Hi Trev, welcome to the forum  you sure are well ahead of me and have trains running sooner as well, have you measured how long and wide the layout is. and is the layout a freelance layout.

Be looking forward to more progress pics and later a video ,  I still have a little bit more to go before I can run a train, my layout is a module garden railway design.

Why not more over to the Garden railway thread where we all are

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead

• Like 1

hi the layout size is 12 feet by 26 feet 28 metres of running due to it being a figure of eight where the line runs at top of the garden the cutting this will be landscaped with rocks and a tunnel may be two also good drainage under the track bed I will post some photos of the layout I have in the garage on my next update weather here is wet and cold waiting for improments

regards trev

hi

update on the layout had a break in the weather today built the station base and check the track bed to make sure all is level the next job will be roofing felt, the rhubarb is growing faster than the layout, never mind I'm in no rush have made mistakes in the past and have learnt the hard way best to take your time and get it right

IMAG0321.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Trev

I've merged your two posts together into one in order to keep your layout thread together and moved it into the Garden Layout section as you're well under way. Just keep adding any new progress posts to this one - there's no need to start a new thread for each post.

It's good to see you're managing to make progress especially after all the rain we've had lately and more surprisingly considering the location of your layout. Underfoot conditions must be extremely difficult?

Taking your time is almost mandatory on here - no need to worry about that. You've done about as much already as I managed in 3 years or so. More importantly, as you point out, is to get it right. If you've experienced problems previously then you'll already know what I mean.

I like the figure-of-eight option, that's how my previous layout was built. It's nice to see trains crossing over each other. Hope the weather stays fine for you to make some more progress.

On 08/03/2017 at 4:25 PM, mick said:

Hi Trev

I've merged your two posts together into one in order to keep your layout thread together and moved it into the Garden Layout section as you're well under way. Just keep adding any new progress posts to this one - there's no need to start a new thread for each post.

It's good to see you're managing to make progress especially after all the rain we've had lately and more surprisingly considering the location of your layout. Underfoot conditions must be extremely difficult?

Taking your time is almost mandatory on here - no need to worry about that. You've done about as much already as I managed in 3 years or so. More importantly, as you point out, is to get it right. If you've experienced problems previously then you'll already know what I mean.

I like the figure-of-eight option, that's how my previous layout was built. It's nice to see trains crossing over each other. Hope the weather stays fine for you to make some more progress.

more progress on layout

still finding my way around the forum hopefully I have posted this update correctly .  have done all the roof felt and started track laying using peco code 100 concreate sleepers as I was told it is more durable. I was going to lay just the single track first then decided to bite the bullet and lay both lines. I am using droppers on every section of track to make sure I have good connections on all the line as not to rely on the fish plates .have connected power from the garage layout to the garden layout wiring the track as I go had a test run on the track I laid needed to adjust one of the flexi track curves   still not sure if problem solved will find out when all track is laid and I can run my stock and make any adjustment's

IMAG0323.thumb.jpg.c79013674fe2a4cce2d3d4994d26eae3.jpg

IMAG0324.thumb.jpg.3449b8d2fc4ae5bea443ca71f8082ebb.jpg