Jump to content

shaung75

Members
  • Content Count

    111
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    7

shaung75 last won the day on May 28 2019

shaung75 had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

5 Neutral

About shaung75

  • Rank
    Bronze Member

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. I'm seriously impressed with the new 66's for the price, actually thinking of getting a couple more! Currently trying to add lighting to mine meaning its in bits on my workbench with a load of its chasis hacked away - just hope i havent messed it up!
  2. You don't belong here 😳 Oh, carry on! 🤣
  3. Well since my last post the layout has had a lot of use from both me and the boy, and it's safe to say the DCC bug has well and truly bitten The DCC++ was having trouble reading from my Zimo MX600R chip and as Digitrains is only a 20 minute drive away from me, I packed up the Arduino and laptop and took a trip over to see if there was an issue with the chip itself or my setup. Long and the short of it, they'd never seen the Arduino setup before and were impressed you could build a controller yourself on the cheap, and the chip was fine and just DCC++ can't read from it. Jeremy and John f
  4. I get that, I guess I'm lucky in the fact that my job is also my hobby so if I'm not with my family and the weather doesn't allow construction on the railway, I'll be working.
  5. Thanks Mick. The main thing that's spurred me on I guess is my wife saying "when are you getting that thing in the garden sorted" - happy wife, happy life and all that The Class 66 is brilliant for the price. It's well made, weighs a tonne and has no problem pulling all of my rolling stock at the same time. My only complaint would be the lack of lighting, but that'll be easy enough to sort out and for the price I can't complain at all. Gordon on the other hand is a real disappointment - slow running is poor performing and considering it's an "Express" locomotive, the slightest bit of dew
  6. As in my last post I mentioned there was a number of dead sections, so last night after the boy was in bed the soldering iron began heating up... All fixed plus a couple of extra droppers put in on the run down towards the shed. Out came the laptop, the Arduino, the Class 66 and just for fun, Gordon. All track now tested and working, which resulted in a happy Shaun One thing that did come out of the running session though is that rather than spending money on new locos and rolling stock once the layout is complete, I need to get saving my pennies on sorting out point motors - c
  7. As some may have noticed, my enthusiasm for this project really hit a low point last year. Not because I had gone off the idea of having a railway in the garden, more so that I spent more time cleaning the track than we did actually using it before something went wrong. Well, now that we're up and running with DCC (see my other thread on DCC++) my enthusiasm has returned. The boy and I actually had a bit of a running session together today - he was using Gordon controlled using my phone, and I was using the Class 66 with my laptop. Don't get me wrong the running session didn't go smoothly
  8. I've had some success this evening - changing the values in PacketRegister.h to be more sensitive did two things: I was able to read all values on the messed up Gaugemaster decoder and subsequently write back default values. I was able to write to the Zimo 600R chip So for me I know that I now have a working DCC system to now use in the garden (yay!), all built for £20 plus parts I already had. There is still the issue of not being able to read the Zimo chip, however as I can write to it I'm not too fussed - it's just a decoder to avoid in the future for me. Happy days
  9. So back in 2017 when I originally started this thread, I ended up giving up with DCC++ after I baulked the decoder as I didn't really have a clue what I was doing with DCC. Fast forward to 2019 - I have since acquired a few more loco's and decoders, but still no DCC system to control (or money to buy one) so I thought I'd try revisiting DCC++. So, doing more reading into DCC I decided to give it another go, armed with addition information... Initial setup and testing works great on the main track with a brand new decoder - I can fully control the loco on the main track using JMRI and the
  10. When I saw the release of Hornby's latest range of Class 66 locos, I knew I was going to be £70 lighter. This particular number, 66731, is a regular runner on the REAL Leasingham Poacher line (well, the Lincoln - Sleaford line anyway)
  11. Thanks Mick. Things are still operational once in a while as and when the boy pesters me. Thankfully he has Percy (the little green engine) that he wore out the worm screw on (which I removed) and he's happy to play with him for hours just freewheeling him around. I'm still having issues with locos shorting out over the peco points which really dampens the spirits in carrying on sometimes to be honest - especially when you have to spend ages cleaning the track and setting up the electrics only to have everything short out after 20 minutes. Construction hasn't moved on really in any w
  12. Great to see you're still at it Tony. Happy New year to you too!
  13. Been a long time posting (again), but hope everyone had a good Christmas. We've had a new arrival...
  14. I meant to post this the other day, but result! All lines are working as they should. Huzzah!
  15. Sadly no trains run this weekend but work has progressed slightly. I've now finally got round to soldering up all of the rail bonds that I've been putting off, and added in a few droppers while I was at it. This now (in theory) should bring the inner line back into use, sorts out the few dead spots and makes the layout DCC ready. Once tested we'll know for certain....
×
×
  • Create New...