Get a free giffgaff Sim

Bachmann 32-850A 9F 2-10-0 Evening Star

started by mick on 2nd March, 2011, 6:39 pm

Bachmann 32-850A 9F 2-10-0 Evening Star

Post No: 1  Postby mick » 2nd March, 2011, 6:39 pm

BACHMANN 32-850A
9F 2-10-0 92220 'EVENING STAR'
BR LINED GREEN WITH BR1G TENDER

In a previous review of the Bachmann 9F I remarked that although I had 2 examples of the loco I had missed out on the NRM edition 'Evening Star'. Well thankfully Bachmann have decided to release another version of 'Evening Star' which, other than not being associated with the NRM this time, appears to be identical to the initial release.

The latest Evening Star is contained within the new style Bachmann packaging which allows careful removal of the model without the danger of damaging any of the detail. The loco and tender are connected via a metal bar, similar to other Bachmann locos, with 2 possible coupling positions to adjust the gap bewteen loco & tender depending on the curvature of your track. The above photo shows the loco and tender at their closest coupled position which may still be a bit too far apart for some. A narrower gap along with some cab doors and the necessary crew would make the world of difference to the profile view.

The front of the loco is complete with a factory fitted tension lock coupling which could be removed if not required but unfortunately it doesn't come complete with etched nameplates as many current loco's do so that's an additional £7 or so that will be needed if etched plates are desired.

One thing I did find disappointing was the modelled coal load in the tender but at least it is easily removed and to be honest, the tender could do with a bit of added weight so some real coal is certainly on order.

I've not yet had the opportunity to get Evening Star onto my track but it has spent a couple of hours on my rolling road under standard DC control and it appears to run very smoothly with just a small but somewhat annoying rattle which I have yet to pinpoint.

I'm not a rivet counter but with a quick comparison to some of the many photographs available of 92220 it would appear that my model Evening Star bears a very strong resemblance to the actual prototype and I have to admit to being very pleased indeed. For me, it's been worth the wait.
mick

Forum Administrator
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Bachmann 32-850A 9F 2-10-0 Evening Star

Post No: 2  Postby cleanerg6e » 10th June, 2011, 7:03 am

That Evening Star certainly looks good Mick. Although I've slowed down somewhat in the buying of locos these days, but that's one loco I think I'm going to have to get and of course I'll have Howes fit it with sound just like my other 9F, 92116, a superb hauler. I've been looking at weathering my present 9F and I'd also weather Evening Star, but only slightly as she was grubby when she ran on the S&D. Do you have to buy real coal over there?. Is there not a coal merchant who'd let you have a lump or two for nothing?.
Roy.
Friendship is like wetting your pants, every one can see it, but your the only one to feel it's warmth.
cleanerg6e

Contributor
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post No: 3  Postby mick » 10th June, 2011, 9:54 am

Roy,

Since these photos were taken 'Evening Star' has had brass nameplates fitted and a real coal load added. I thought I'd added photos here :? ...must be somewhere in another thread.

This is one loco that I really would like fitted with sound just as soon as I can afford it and can refrain from buying other stuff.
mick

Forum Administrator
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post No: 4  Postby cleanerg6e » 10th June, 2011, 2:29 pm

I rang Howes Models earlier and ordered Bachmann's Evening Star and the bloke who fits the sound was in the shop. He doesn't work for Howes as an employee he just does their sound fitment for them. So they handed my Evening Star to him and he's going to make a start on fitting a sound decoder to it.
Roy.
Friendship is like wetting your pants, every one can see it, but your the only one to feel it's warmth.
cleanerg6e

Contributor
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post No: 5  Postby drmalesis » 10th June, 2011, 9:12 pm

Evening Star certainly looks the ticket boys - I'm extremely jealous... :cry:

Duncan
drmalesis

Contributor
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post No: 6  Postby cleanerg6e » 11th June, 2011, 4:50 am

Now I just have to ordered the etched name plates for it from either Fox Transfers or 247 Developments. I ordered from them (247) the world speed record plaques for Mallard then looked at a video of Mallard as to exactly where to place them on the boiler casing side.
Roy.
cleanerg6e

Contributor
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Steam Shed