Get a free giffgaff Sim

Dapol class 22

started by grockle on 24th July, 2012, 7:19 am

For news and information regarding current, previous and future products manufactured and introduced to the RTR marketplace by all other manufacturers

Dapol class 22

Post No: 1  Postby grockle » 24th July, 2012, 7:19 am

Having just recently purchased brand new a Dapol class 22 I am impressed with its looks but not its working. Only had it 7 days and its going back for the second time for repair. First time around the blanking plate worked loose disenabling the lighting that was one reason why I bought this particular loco in the first place. And again the lights have given up the ghost and what makes it even more frustrating is that I have not even been able to complete its running in yet. Possibly got about 25 to 30 minutes of running so far out of it. No good to me if its to run correctly on the GGR.
Dapol are getting a very snotty letter sent to them showing my disgust at their lack of Quality control on this model, just wondering what their responce is going to be, that is if they bother at all.

Ian
My garden railway will never ever get finished
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 3c90e078aa
RANDOM_AVATAR
grockle

Contributor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Dapol class 22

Post No: 2  Postby mick » 24th July, 2012, 11:39 pm

I don't have any experience of Dapol locomotives and although their OO catalogue is expanding I have only a small number of items of Dapol rolling stock. It sounds like you've been unlucky with the class 22 locomotive and while I understand how frustrating it can be when you receive a model that doesn't work as intended, and more so when it has been returned for repair already, I'm sure that Dapol would see it as being in their best interests and be more than willing for the situation to be resolved to your complete satisfaction.

Did you order directly from Dapol or through a retailer? You say it's going back a second time for repair... surely you can request a replacement? I know this bit is slightly off-topic but our new dishwasher failed soon after installation. They offered to send a guy out to repair it but we pointed out that we'd paid for a new machine and didn't want one that had been 'repaired'. We got a replacement.
mick

Forum Administrator
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post No: 3  Postby grockle » 25th July, 2012, 8:44 am

Mick, bought through a retailer so its back to them yet again.

Ian
RANDOM_AVATAR
grockle

Contributor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post No: 4  Postby grockle » 1st March, 2013, 9:27 pm

About time I gave all and sundry an update on the Dapol class 22 that is giving me nightmares still.

Well after a third trip back to the shop with the same fault yet again, directional lights not working again, yet another snotty letter to Dapol UK and a couple of emails, which they Dapol have not answered I decided that it was a case of SOD the warranty, its not worth the paper its written on and give it to my Mr Fix It to have a look at and hopefully find the fault.

The fault has been found as its not down to me. Fault is on the main circuit board that is part and parcel of the directional lighting. It is that fragile and badly made that for the third time its shorted, thereby burning the circuit board to a crisp. Solution is to have either yet another new running chassis from the shop, where I purchased it from, or get a new model from Dapol, but seeing that they are being totally non co-operative, Dapol that is, and the shop already has two returned loco's, I am having a new circuit board built, and as the loco is only ever going to be used in DC mode, it makes it simplier to build. Dapol will be sent the bill for the new circuit board along with the labour costs and a report about the faults found on the circuit board. The report is being written up by an electronics engineer so that might make them dig into their bloody pocket and pay me back for fixing their CRAP workmanship in the first place.

Will get some pictures taken of the 22 once its back and working properly, which I know it will this time around.

Ian
RANDOM_AVATAR
grockle

Contributor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post No: 5  Postby george356 » 2nd March, 2013, 12:33 pm

Ian, I am pleased that you have finally found the problem, and have a solution of sorts. However, I thought "Customer Service" of this type had died out years ago. Dapol ignoring the problem you have had with this model is not acceptable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sale_of_Goods_Act_1979

You have redress in the law - the Sale of Goods Act 1979 gives you the right to have a refund, a replacement or a repair. However, if Dapol are not willing to communicate with you over this, you may need to go down the Small Claims Court route.

When you email Dapol I would advise you to put read receipts on the email (easy if you use Outlook or Outlook Express as your mail client), that way you know that at least someone is reading the email.

I wonder what the Model Railway press would have to say about Dapol's attitude?

ETA

There is a user on RMWEB called DapolDave who appears to be connected with Dapol, maybe worthwhile joining if you are not already a member and contacting him?
If, occasionally, people walk away from you shaking their heads you are doing something right!!
george356

Contributor
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post No: 6  Postby grockle » 2nd March, 2013, 6:38 pm

Small claims court, I hadn't thought of that, wonder what would happen if I sent yet another email to Dapol telling them that I was going to the small claims court and then make in public knowledge what an incompetant company they are. Don't think that they would like that so will try with an email telling them my course of action if they fail to respond within a certain period of time, like 14 days from date of email.

As far as RMweb goes, I am banned from there, as it seems to be run by a bunch of Rivet Counters, Anoraks and Armchair Modellers. All I did was post a picture of this

and I refused to delete it, given that I gave, what I considered a good history for this 'what if livery'.

Ian
RANDOM_AVATAR
grockle

Contributor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post No: 7  Postby ba14eagle » 4th March, 2013, 8:17 am

I am not surprised to hear of your problems with Dapol, Ian.
I had an N gauge class 67 and it died after about 3 months - luckily, the shop where I bought it were very helpful in getting Dapol to replace it. However, my Dad bought an n gauge Hymek last May and this has got an issue with its running (apparently something to do with the motor bearing) and Dapol do not want to know because its gone over its 3 month warranty - what a load of cobblers! 3 month warranty! Ridiculous. He is now seriously considering cancelling his pre-orders for the forthcoming class 22 & class 33. :?
Very much reduced shopping list - still too little finance...
ba14eagle

Contributor
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post No: 8  Postby george356 » 4th March, 2013, 11:27 am

ba14eagle wrote:I am not surprised to hear of your problems with Dapol, Ian.
I had an N gauge class 67 and it died after about 3 months - luckily, the shop where I bought it were very helpful in getting Dapol to replace it. However, my Dad bought an n gauge Hymek last May and this has got an issue with its running (apparently something to do with the motor bearing) and Dapol do not want to know because its gone over its 3 month warranty - what a load of cobblers! 3 month warranty! Ridiculous. He is now seriously considering cancelling his pre-orders for the forthcoming class 22 & class 33. :?

See the link to the Sale of Goods Act 1979 I posted above, Iain.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2006/ma ... tocomplain
Shoppers are being sold short when expensive electrical goods break down. If a TV or fridge packs up just one day after an initial one-year guarantee, customers are told they have to pay for the repair - but the truth is that retailers may be liable for up to six years.

Consumer experts say retailers are exploiting ambiguous legislation to wriggle out of their responsibilities. Ministers, however, claim the law is quite clear. The Sale of Goods Act offers protection against faulty goods even when the manufacturer's guarantee has run out. The act says goods must last a reasonable time - and that can be anything up to six years from the date of purchase.

Which? - formerly the Consumers Association - says consumers should argue strongly with retailers when a product breaks down within six years. The Sale of Goods Act doesn't define how long specific products should last, because different products have different life spans. But a survey by Which? of manufacturers into how long they believe different types of appliance should last made interesting reading. All of them said their goods should last five years or more.

Goods MUST be of merchantable quality and fit for use - I recall that the 1 year guarantee has been called into doubt by some courts, and at the back of my mind 7 years is the expected life span of electrical appliances (of which a model railway engine is surely one)

3 months guarantee is unenforceable - the retailer has to try to rectify the problem, and take the problem up with the manufacturer.

Again, if they prove recalcitrant, Small Claims Court is the way to go.

ETA link to Guardian article and my memory of 7 years was one year out :lol:
If, occasionally, people walk away from you shaking their heads you are doing something right!!
george356

Contributor
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post No: 9  Postby grockle » 4th March, 2013, 4:10 pm

I have given Dapol 14 daus to respond from date of letter sent to them Friday. Failure to respond within the time frame, I have told them that I will be going to the Small Claims Court. I will not be involving the model shop from where I purchased said loco as they have co-operated as much as possible but they can't keep supplying me with loco's when they don't have anymore in stock to exchange again for faulty products sent out in the first instance by Dapol. My Fix It guy has given me a bill for the work he has got to do to rectify their faulty merchandise and that will be included in the claim that I am making against them, plus of course the cost of the loco in the first instance, add to that all the postage for numerious letters sent to them, and the running around I have had to get replacements (faulty) new loco's from said shop, and also for the hassle and grief that its caused me, in that its been unfit for purpose even before it was sold new by the shop. ie their selling faulty goods sent out from source, their own factories.

If they offer my any compensation like vouchers for other new goods, I will tell them in NO uncertain terms exactly where they can stick them, I for one will Never Ever buy new loco's again.

Lets see what happens

Ian
RANDOM_AVATAR
grockle

Contributor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post No: 10  Postby george356 » 4th March, 2013, 4:35 pm

Is that new locos of ANY make, Ian?

I have just pre-ordered the Bachmann Class 101 DMU from Hattons, and bought a Heljan Hymek (which is tremendous) middle of last year and a Bachmann Berkshire 2-8-4 Pere Marquette from the States just after Christmas. I am more than happy with both of those purchases that I have - I just hope that the Class 101 turns out as good.
george356

Contributor
Silver Member
Silver Member

Next

Return to Other Manufacturer's