soldering iron

jimbob

Correct, one other thing is when you are soldering not to have the tip too hot and it will melt the wiring and cause the solder not to stick same when soldering the track. You can get heat shrink clamps for that issue and to cool the tip down I use the sponge again till it does.

Some soldering irons you can adjust, even though I have a good Weller I can't adjust the heat, have to inside the iron too much mucking around, should of paid a lot more and got the next model up as it you could adjust the heat.

Tony from down under

Not suprisingly, I have a fully adjustable soldering iron ( which also has a heat gun from the same controller). Having been caught in the past by a manufacturer, who decided to stop making the line of Irons (and tips) I was using. When choosing an iron, I went for one that used a common type of tip , so I was able to buy a range of different tip shapes and sizes. Using the correct size of tip for the job makes life a lot easier.

Not always, many have a temperature sensor or are temperature controlled by the type of tip fitted. Fitting a dimmer switch May cause the tip to cycle through a range of temperatures as it hunts to try to get to it's normally specified point. the bog standard cheaper irons it may well work for.