New member new railway

Having to pause on the railway due to poor weather. I can however run my radio controlled locos even on wet rails.

Totonlover, I am no expert on garden railways am but just having so much fun building it. There is so much good will and encouraging comments on this forum you cant fail!

Once I can get back out there I'll be fitting point servos and running the cables.

More updates soon.

Dave

Thanks for the link to the point controll thread chris. Central locking servos inspired,!

I will make up a demo point and servo assembly to make photo shots easier. I have used the system indoors for along time with no issues.

It always amazes me how resourceful we railway modelers are.

Point pics soon on this thread, if you think it worthy Ill post to the other thread.

Cheers, Dave

chris said:

I'm looking forward to seeing your work on point servos. Operating points outdoors is very long running thread on here. It would be great if you could add a post or two to this thread http://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=84 as you progress so our collective ideas can be found in one place.

I'm also looking forward to your work point servos . :D

As promised I've made up a demo servo controlled point. I use this setup on my indoor layout and have had few problems. I have never used this setup outside, as the servo is mounted underneath the track bed it should be fine. However you could use waterproof servos.

Each servo is attached to a furniture corner block with a cable tie.

n7.jpg

n6.jpg

n8.jpg

• Like 1

I must say this is all very ingenious, are these servos cheap to buy? It does seem a bit of a faf to set up though. I have been using "OO" outdoors for the best part of 20yrs and I have always just used normal point motors with no problems whatsoever. I use H+M sm3 motors and Peco both surface and under board mounted, just give them a squirt with WD40 now and again and that's it. The H+M one are becoming harder to get hold of these days but they can still be found at swap-meets and Ebay I must admit I prefer them because you can dismantle them pretty much completely if there is an issue, making them easy to repair.

I get the servos from China, a pack of ten was ten pounds, but with the pound dropping like a stone they are today £11.95.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-SG90-9G-Micro-Servo-Motor-RC-Robot-Arm-Helicopter-Airplane-Remote-Control-UK-/231896083976?hash=item35fe156e08:g:OqQAAOSwAvJW~hy4

You can import up to £15 worth per order before you get hit by import duties and tax duties.

Remember, you have to drive the servo, you can't just use a switch, I'm going to use an "Arduino mega" computer which cost less than a tenner to drive 48 servos, but then you need a power supply and switches and various bits.

There are alternative drivers peco do one, as do MERG, there are others.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought you might be interested in this. The servo control panel for the garden railway.

I'm using two Tam Valley Depot dcc/analogue decoders with switch controllers. The unit is powered by a LiPo battery so it is self contained. Plug in a dcc command station and select dcc and away you go. Mind you it's just an ornament at the moment as I haven't installed the servos yet.

2016-10-23 16.38.42.jpg

2016-10-23 16.38.59.jpg

I use DCC to drive my servos on my indoor layout. Having experienced mixed results of the main commercial servo decoders, I started a serch for a good reliable decoder.

I found a guy in Ireland on ebay that designed and built his own dcc system. He takes a different approach to decoders making them modular slave units with a small master module. You canconnect 10 slave decoders to each master. I have used them for ayear now with no issues at all. Well made, robust, and well designed. Best of all is the low price.

I am very impressed by this kit it takes all the heartache out of servo control. If you don't want to run DCC he is about to release an analogue servo controller.

Have a look at

Http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/arosama6/m.html

I think you will like what you see.

• 3 months later...

Hi all

I'm now planning for the new season and am turning my attention to point control.

I have a servo control system to install but am considering a manual system using a Bowden cable and levers. That way the "ground frame" can stay fitted all the time and needs no power. Has anyone got experience using this type of setup?

I would appreciate any advice guys.

Cheers

Dave

• 1 month later...

I'll be following this thread with interest Dave. I've just built a command station using an Arduino Mega (see separate thread in Control section) and I'm now looking into using Arduino mini's to build accessory decoders. I was at first thinking of using central locking motors for point control, but I'm seriously thinking about the servos now as they use so much less power and are cheap enough if they die in the elements.

Shaun

Hi Shaun

I will read your thread with interest, I think that possibilities are endless with the advancement of nanotechnology. 

However back to the old technology.  Before installing the servos last year. I fitted the point controll wire through the baseboard and bearing to see how the winter affected it.

I used the same wire as I have used indoors (a paper clip) . Although they all still move some are much stiffer than they should be. I think brass rod is the answer. Still it was a worthwhile test. I did fit one servo to see if it would survive the winter. No problem,  still as free as a bird. Very encouraging. 

Dave

• 1 month later...

Hi All

There is one thing wrong with winter in my view. Apart from the cold rain snow and long nights. It gives us all far to long to think about our railways. Now that spring is here and we can get back to our beloved hobby. Trouble is all those long nights have resulted in loads of designs for extensions, sidings new stations and the like. I must have been very board 'caus I have loads to build. Makes winter all worthwhile.

I have replaced all points for express points, point control prodding (Bowden cables) installed as is the signal operating cord. I will update my thread in ground frame control topic under general questions.

I will also add some pics once I've sorted out the uploading issues.

Dave

Dave,

All the winter long I've been pondering how to do a CTC system so that my points are all controlled from one place and the routes of trains are dictated by signal and point setting. i.e. look at those lit up singals along the right of way to see if you have permission to pass through the coming section of track. ;)

ok, I've admitted to my dream scenario, but I also admit it sounds all too complicated. I will now return to attaching two wires to my track and running roundy roundy. :D

Edited by traingeekboy

Hi traingeekboy

I am working on a stand alone battery powered servo control for my point and signal rodding. Tam valley are indeed very good. They can be dcc activated or push button using a small button board.

The boards I am using for my new unit are from a friend of mine in Ireland. dcc-decoders.com he makes a lot of dcc devices and modules of his own design. My boards are not on his site as they are new. They cost me 18€ each, and move a servo through 90 degrees. 

What are you wanting to achieve? If you are going for the advanced roundy roundy with full points and signal control as in your dreams or a simpler version, All is possible.

If I can offer any advice I'm happy to do so.

Cheers

Dave