Father-in-laws 009 Layout

Dave

Hi Chaps,

Not strictly my model layout, but last year my father-in-law purchased what was advertised as a 3x5 foot 009 layout (but in reality is nearer 4.5x6 foot!). I know, not strictly OO and not in a garden, either! But it was kept in a greenhouse for a while if that counts! :) But he does love his narrow gauge.

Its been languishing for a few months, but over the winter he's found some time to start renovating and repairing the layout and he'll be modifying it to include the quarry he's always wanted. However, in deconstructing the maze of wiring under the panel and the layout, we've come across one particularly peculiar device that we've no idea what it is or does and I wonder if anyone here could tell us what it is?

It is in a simple black box with four terminals and simply labelled "RELCO, Pat Pending, Watford England".

Relco.jpg

It is wired to the panel to a button labelled "RELCO" and also to a switch labelled "Panic Button" (Very reassuring indeed!) as well as a power feed and a ground.

Panel.jpg

Any ideas?

Whilst I was taking photos of the odd component, I also snapped a couple of the layout itself in its current state, which is rather run down, but hopefully will be in a much improved state before long!

Here the narrow gauge station is about to be attacked by a giant teapot!

Station.jpg

And here see the devastation wrought on trees by the aforementioned giant teapot!Countryside.jpg

Not sure exactly how it works Dave, but the Relco is an electronic track cleaner that, according to one online source, "produces an output of between 150 and 250 Volts AC in the frequency range 50 - 200 kHz". Sounds scary :shock: It's connected between your power controller and the supply to your track and uses the energy to 'burn' off the dirt deposits between wheels and rails. I'm sure there'll be a more detailed scientific explanation available somewhere.....

I'm not sure there's any need for a Relco as simple regular track cleaning with a track rubber or similar should be quite sufficient. I've also heard that a Relco isn't compatible with certain controllers. It's only my opinion but if you can determine how it's wired in then I would get rid of it and manually clean the rails instead.

Looks to be a maze of wires and associated electronics there. Perhaps this would be an ideal time to sort it all out and install something a little more up to date - the layout certainly looks like it would be worth doing and I'd be really interested to see more of it. Can you keep us up to date with progress and developments?

Thanks both. I think it does sound like something to be removed and I'll send a link to this thread to my father-in-law so he can read your replies himself :)

"Maze of wires" doesn't even begin to describe it, Mick! :) But I don't think there is any danger of DCC being used on this particular OO9 layout as he's too busy converting suitable loco bodies onto DC N gauge chassis right now!

I'll take some more pictures of his layout and post them next time I visit, assuming he doesn't join the forum himself.

Dave.

Judging by what can be seen above baseboard level in the photos you posted, it shouldn't be too difficult to sort the wiring out - even if he were to decide to start entirely from scratch.

I did once fancy a narrow gauge line myself because they have such appeal. 009 is slightly confusing because there appears to be several scales running on different gauges which are all catered for by the 009 Society, but from what you've said it would appear that your father-in-law models OO scale running on 9mm (N gauge) track?

I'm really looking forward to seeing more photos and to hearing how work is progressing.

The layout has two levels and has obviously been modifed in the past and used to contain a hidden return. I understand he's going to remodel it to be on a single level and add in an extra piece to the other end and change it about a fair bit, so its probably worth re-doing the wiring if only so he understands his own work :)

There are a number of different ways of modelling narrow gauge, but OO9 is 1/76 scale modelling (i.e, OO) and in order to model narrow gauge track if you use N gauge track (which is where the 9 comes from) you get a gauge of about 2'3", which is pretty close to a lot of prototype railways, as well as a plenty of available chassis you can use as well as ready made points, track, etc. Although Peco do sell OO9 track directly, which also helps, of course! :)

When I was there he showed me one of the loco bodies he's been coverting to run on an N gauge chassis. Lovely looking little thing - should have go a photo! Maybe next time :)

• 10 months later...

Just happened to notice this thread and thought I would post a little about the Relco

I have one fitted to our christmas layout and it really improves the running qualities of N locos, they are much smoother and slow running is also improved.

They are not an alternative to track cleaning more a running aid.... when running a loco watch the little light on the relco, every time it flashes its sent a pulse to the track to help the loco, ideally it should not flash at all, but the more flashes the dirtier the track so its a good indicator that proper track cleaning is required.

There is a downside however, each time the relco activates it send and arc between the rail and the wheel this can cause pitting of the wheels. I have not experienced this myself but there are reports of this to be found on t'interweb.

Here is a bit more info

http://www.mrol.com.au/Articles/DCC/Relcos.aspx

The gaugemaster unit is essentially the same thing in a different box and a little more user friendly

Under no circumstances should a DCC fitted loco be put on track with a Relco attached as it will damage the decoder

I had a guy here advise me to use a relco with my DC locos. yes he said positively no DCC on a layout with one, but he said it kept the track spotless.

That layout looks pretty nice. All it needs is a fresh layer of bright green ground foam to freshen things up.

I doubt anyone here will complain about seeing anything train related regardless of scale or location. i suppose we're odd that way; we just like trains.