Hello from Norfolk UK

SK1R1D

HI I'm Trevor, fro m a village just outside Norwich I have a wise interest in railways in generally an unfinished plastic OO railway in the garage hated by the Mrs. I have made A decision to expand into our small back garden using A large quantity of Marklin 'M' type track recently purchase as the track seems quite substantial. I have also 3 Marklin anologue locos and now looking for hints and tips before starting to build it and whether you can use plastic rolling stock IE Horby /Bachmann providing you change the couplings. I won't build the railway this summer as I am about to be Hospitalised for 4 weeks unless I can find local volunteers. Is this a practical project.

Hi Trevor. We're always pleased to welcome a new member so do make yourself at home amongst us.

I have no experience of Marklin track or rolling stock so I can't answer your question of compatibility with regards to couplings on Hornby & Bachmann stock. I'm sure someone else will be able to advise.

Sorry to hear about your planned hospitalisation - I do hope everything goes well for you and that you can soon begin making firm plans for your expansion into an outdoor railway. I'm not sure how successful a search for local volunteers would go - don't you have any railway minded friends that would perhaps be willing to lend a hand? The thing with an outdoor line is that they usually take some time to construct and get operational (well at least in my case they do!) We have to organise construction work around the weather which as you are no doubt well aware is very unpredictable in these parts and often not very good.

As for your question about "Is this a practical project". If you are referring to the planned layout then I would answer yes, of course it is. It's a whole heap of fun and something that's well worth doing.

Welcome from somewhat further out from Norwich, though I'm normally in on the Airport industrial estate by 06:30.

I hope your Stay in the N&N will be successful which I've managed to avoid for the last 30 years.

SWMBO has come to accept my future railway, mostly because I've allocated one end of the railway shed for her art studio!! Bribery always works!!

Sadly I have too many commitments to assist on your railway, I've also been working on my railway shed and the surrounding garden for my layout for 10 years but if you see the thread you'll see why! So far I've not got one piece of track down.

Most of us use rolling stock from a variety of sources, we then choose to standardise on a coupling. Most choose one of the major manufacturers types, Bachmann, Hornby, Dapol, which they go for because of their robustness and ease of fitment. Though there are others often chosen for less visibility, kadee, Sprat and Winkle, DG, Alex Jackson, Keen, and then for the masocist three link!! On here I'm unusual in choosing Dingham couplers which I like as a good compromise between ease of use and invisibility . Information on All the above is available on the net.

Hi Trevor

SK1R1D said:

Is this a practical project.

I've always wanted a garden railway and from doing my past research I've read that opting for OO gauge just wont work. Then I found this forum where there are numerous examples where this simply isn't the case and running OO is absolutely fine to do, and within the space of 3 months I went from the planning stage to having a (albeit small) garden railway.

Have a read around here for tried and tested methods - there's been so much that I have learnt and so many things that I would have done wrong had I not done so.

Good luck!

Shaun