Inside out

jimbob

An old schoolfriend of mine travels to the states a lot for work, sometimes for several weeks at a time so much so he has an apartment there. At home he has a converted stable for his yet to be built layout but out there has little space for anything but has joined a modular railroad group. I know the ideas been round for a while over here but does not seem to have caught on here. Fot those who have not seen or heard about it members model on a 4 x2 portable baseboard or multiples there of and then have regular meets where they join all the bits together for one massive layout. The last one he went to was over four hundred feet long with branches included.

Anyway, this got me thinking. Now l think l've read on here that some of you bring in sections of your garden line and store them over the winter but has anyone thought of doing the oppersite and take a demountadle section of there indoor line outside or the reverse?

As someone with no room inside for a good size layout (hence the garden) the idea of a modular railway group seems a great idea does anyine know of such a thing. There are N gauge and American HO groups here but cant find any OO ones outside of MRC groups, anyone know differant.

jimbob said:

Anyway, this got me thinking. Now l think l've read on here that some of you bring in sections of your garden line and store them over the winter but has anyone thought of doing the oppersite and take a demountadle section of there indoor line outside or the reverse?

I have a 4 foot board with a station on. I built it for outdoor use, but I am starting to think of a way that I could also have it operational in my shed. This would give me some playability when the weather is poor. It would take a reorganising of my shed, but that would bring with other benefits as well.

Had a look on rmweb about modular baseboards but the discusions seem to have petered out. Shame because its a good ldea if people agree on a standard approach, although it fell at the first fence for me when they set code 75 track as standard, got a shed full of code 100 to use before l go there!

Perhaps because this was being done over the internet and distances between those interested was so great was another factor.

To me something like this needs to start on a more local level, between friends or club members, clubs could organise inter club meets or open events to see what can be done and perhaps boost membership.

Modular has been proposed on this forum before.

http://www.oogardenrailway.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69&p=242&hilit=modular#p242

I like the idea of modular baseboards. At one point I did plan on having the station from the garden as part of my (indoor) tramway. In the end I decided that the tramway would be a "Living Museum" and that meant a mainline terminus station would't fit the scene.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Chris that link is what got me started with the idea of a modular garden railway as I can't have mine set up permanently. It takes a lot longer to build being the fact of the base board joins and cutting the module legs especially on grades like a spiral, worth the effort in the end and also the legs fold in for stored in a garden shed

Keep an eye out on my post as my layout construction moves along, hope to have some train movement at the end of June.

Tony from down under.