Border crossing

Nuvolari

Yesterday filmed on my big scale 1/1 garden railway. :lol:

The border crossing between Belgium and Germany.

What you see first is going over from the Belgian lefthand driving (curtesy from Mr Stephensons who installed the first track in Belgium 1835), into the German righthand side.

The following signals you see are Belgian lefthand signals but right hand placed.

On the bridge, the locomotive is switcht over from from 3000V DC to 15000V AC while driving. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNCB_Class_28_(Bombardier) )

The last signal you see is a german one.

The actual border is in the tunnel.

I hope you enjoyed it, it is not a common side to see.

Cheers,

Danny

Interesting. I didn't realise that Germany and Belgium drove on opposite sides.

When I crossed from Russia into Poland, it was all single track. There was the complication of changing bogies from Russian guage to European guage at Brest, but that gave the Russian Border Guards ample time to thoroughly search the train for contraband leaving Russia. The Polish side then had armed soldiers lining both sides of the track to catch jumpers. The first station (Terestopol?) was a thorough rummage of the train from the Poles who removed interior panels and anything else looking for contraband entering Europe. An interesting experience, but not one to enjoy really.

Left Moscow at midnight on Sunday and arrived in Hannover about 07.00 on Tuesday morning, by which time there was no water left on the train. Dry taps and toilets. heavy smoking Russians so I didn't know if I hd been kippered or smoked. Trains then to Cologne and Brussels and Eurotunnel to London. Timetables were perfect all the way. Then on the train from London to Worthing, the announcer told us that the train would be delayed as the Guard's door had fallen off!!! Welcome home Roddy.