Windows help needed

Baimor

I know it's not railway related but does anyone have a windows vista ( or something better) recovery disk I could loan or purchase please? Don't know what our 20 year old has done to the laptop :x:x:x but it's now booting up and that's all it will do and as there's obsolete stuff on there I need to return it back to factory. My understanding of computers is very limited ( read nil :oops::oops: ) and I can't find the disk that came with the laptop! ! Any help or advice greatly recieved. Thanks. Mark

Baimor said:

....but it's now booting up and that's all it will do....

Do you mean it is actually booting up to the home screen?

There's a decent guide here to booting Windows Vista up in safe mode which might help you gain access if you can't get into anything. Not sure whether or not it works or even if it'll be of any use to you. It's something I would attempt in the same position.

Some Laptops have a hidden partition on the hard drive with the initial setup of the machine on them. Our Acer has and I've had to use it a couple of times to reset the machine.

In our case soon as the Acer Logo appears press and hold ALT and then press F10, all the instructions to reset your machine are then displayed as needed...

Might be worth a try even if yours is not an Acer.

Thanks Mick and Q. Will try both later and see what happens. It's an old (ish) laptop 5 years old running windows vista home. To be fair I only really bought it as I was fed up of buying cds and there only being 3 or 4 songs on that I liked so I bought it to make some cds for the car with various music on them and just to try and teach me a bit about all this technology malarkey! ! I must add that I failed miserably on both counts!!! :lol::lol: Give me some bricks and I'll build you anything. Give me a boiler and I'll fit it but give me technology and I'm buggered!! :oops::oops: