Hawnby & Dubber Low Railway (00 code 75)

dayviss

Although this is a loft railway outdoor conditions often prevail.In winter no heat rises through the loft insulation -it's just as cold as outside!!! The tracks are often damp causing lots of wheel-slip. In summer the heat is oppressive and as well as greasy rails the tracks expand just like the real thing causing fixing pins on curves to"ping".The layout is purely for operating --there is no scenery (as Yet) but lots of railway buildings .There is an outer double track with storage/passing loops. Two 5 road terminal stations (one each side of the layout) are located inside the running tracks and the platforms are long enough to hold a "Pacific" and 8 coaches.Building rigid 8ft long platforms in card was quite a challenge!!! A scratchbuilt 3 road loco shed ("Wren Junction") with capacity for 9 large locos dominates the front of the layout.There is a coaling stage (Metcalfe), water tower and working turntable.This is a "Peco" kit motorised using the excellent FMR kit.Access to/from the stations is via two sets of single slips.A train can start its trip from one station ,make its way to the main line , complete several circuits , leave the main line ,and terminate at the other station.--I will upload some photos when I work out how.

Good to see a new thread added to the 'indoor' layouts - excellent name too!

From my experience loft spaces can be uncomfortable places at the best of times although that's something I've discovered just by having to go up there to erect a tv aerial or pack away the Xmas decorations or some other rarely used item. I've not had to spend any extended period up there. It can be extremely cold or stifling hot and almost always with a heavy dust laden air. My current attic space has limited head room and an abundance of roof timbers crossing from one side to the other and I really didn't fancy the task of trying to turn that into an area suitable for a model railway. However, I know there are many layouts that successfully utilise the attic space and so it's going to be very interesting to hear how you've overcome any problems you've encountered.

One thing that surprised me initially was the fact that your thread states '00 code 75' when I've always been under the impression that older stock didn't like the finer rail profile. It obviously does so did you have any problems and if so how have you resolved them?

Photographs will certainly bring your thread to life and give a more detailed view of it. You can add images using the 'upload attachment' tab when composing a message or you can go to the gallery section and create a personal album into which you can upload as many photographs as you wish - any of which can then be added to your post where desired simply by using the supplied linking code that is shown beneath each of your uploaded images. If you need a more detailed explanation of either method just let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

A few points answered----(1) all the DUBLO locos run happily on code75 track including one pre-war 3-rail conversion. The chairs on the pointwork are coarser than on the plain track--- later WRENN locos rattle somewhat when passing. Triang coarse scale wheelers won't run at all but later HORNBY RAILWAYS,BACHMANN, and post 1967 TRIX 4mm scale are all fine.An original TRIANG BRITANNIA and a HORNBY RLWYS IVATT 2-6-0 2mt tender loco needed their drivers changing to ones with a finer profile. Most rolling stock is fitted with old "jackson" wheels including lots of H-D tinplate.Stock fitted with other types of metal tyred wheels runs OK. I find using metal-tyred wheels on everything cuts down on dirt accumulating on the tracks as well as giving much smoother running.(2) this layout is 22' x 11' but it was a MISTAKE to lay tracks too close to the 'eves' as Now I have only 9 cm of height in which to erect backscenes!!!---- I am currently making some brick arches from "Scalescenes" downloads.-taking longer than expected as you have to construct your own cardboard kit and then assemble it !!!!!!! (3) Access is fairly easy as the loft itself is of "open" construction with purlins(?) running the length of the roof supported at intervals by low brieze-block walls whose height determined the height of the baseboards above the floor.I can stand up everywhere (4) other points of interest--I have used nearly 100yds of peco flexitract and 30+ points .(none motorised yet} (5)Albumn photos loaded so far are quite old--I must take some more .(5)Will talk about locos/rolling stock some other time.

That's fewer running problems than I would have expected given the advice regarding the combination of finescale track and stock with coarser wheelsets available on some other forums. Good to hear that it's all working okay for you.

I've not yet constructed any Scalescenes kits although I did purchase and download one a while ago to try out for my 'still under construction' indoor layout. Many of the kits, such as the arches you mention, are certainly popular with modellers and they do look very nice when assembled.

Laying the tracks too close to the eaves is the kind of mistake that I would probably make so it's good to hear I'm not alone in that respect. I often get a plan of action in my head and never consider anything beyond that until it's too late.

Looking forward to more photos and details of your loco's and stock when you have the time to do so.