Saying Hi

stevep5b

Hello, just saying Hi. I have been visiting this forum for a while and decided to join in today. I have plans of making a garden railway in 00 but as a complete novice I will need to take hints and tips from this site and thankfully it's so informative.

I found this on utube today, not a garden railway in the true sense, just amusing

Steve

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum. I'm glad you decided to join us. If you've got plans for an OO gauge garden railway then you've come to the right place. We may be few in number but we're all very friendly and approachable so don't hesitate to ask questions or seek advice regarding anything at all.

What sort of area do you have available to you and what kind of things are you hoping to include in a layout? Any specific interests regarding loco's and rolling stock?

Hi Mick, thanks for the welcome. As a child our local park was adjacent to the mainline into Paddington and I have fond memories of Pullman coaches whizzing past after the clatter of steam engines ahead, the air filled with smoke and steam. If we heard a train approaching during our journey to school we would run to top of the bridge and try to look down onto the coaches speeding under, usually getting covered in soot. A regular journey on the tube involved a section of a "push and pull" little tank engine at Greenford station hastily ferrying passengers to and fro to Hammersmith ( I think) from there onward on the tube again to Clapham. I can also remember trolley busses and the distinctive smell and noise they had. So by now I guess you will realise I'm getting on a bit, I have happy memories of all this, especially the little shuttle train. The tank engine disappeared and was replaced with a " modern "diesel train of I think two or three coaches, this is where my interest lies, strangely . I seem to have a fascination for diesel/ diesel electric trains. I'm not too sure why this is but have an idea that the two tone horn that replaces the steam whistle was such a new and unusual sound and being young influenced me somehow. I haven't been on a train for years and years but do have a small collection of Hornby model railways wrapped up in the loft which I can't wait to get to grips with.

We have left the city behind us and now live near the new forest (though I still work occasionally in London)with a large enough garden and a shed to begin to (play) utilise.

The little shuttle train is something I'd like to re create if I can as a starting point and hopefully progress from there. Not having experience with all the advances that have happened with model railways in recent years I thought I'd join up here and get some needed help. Looking at what others have done I think I've found the right forum.

Steve

Hi Steve. They are a good crowd here with all of the answers from the very basic to more advanced questions. There is no looking down the nose at feeble efforts. Mistakes are to be learned from, but members layouts and some thought should prevent too many of those. It's your layout, so do what you like, and have fun.

Welcome to o the very informative site, I'm fairly new myself.

Errr

Pullmans into Paddington. GWR dropped using Pullmans in 1932 when they introduced their own Super salons in 1932. As far as I know Western region BR didn't have Pullmans again until the 1960 Blue Pullman Diesel units. Western region tried to ignore Nationalisation and used Chocolate and cream when they could get away with it from 1956 to 1962, Then they were gradually repainted as each coach became due.

Trolley buses I too can remember but down on holiday Bournemouth, Me, I still love steam, which I can just remember in the early 1960s, unfortunately Southern region had taken over from (G) Western on the line I knew by then, on the North western side of the new Forest. But I will model GWR...

TheQ said:

Welcome to o the very informative site, I'm fairly new myself.

Errr

Pullmans into Paddington. GWR dropped using Pullmans in 1932 when they introduced their own Super salons in 1932. As far as I know Western region BR didn't have Pullmans again until the 1960 Blue Pullman Diesel units. Western region tried to ignore Nationalisation and used Chocolate and cream when they could get away with it from 1956 to 1962, Then they were gradually repainted as each coach became due.

Trolley buses I too can remember but down on holiday Bournemouth, Me, I still love steam, which I can just remember in the early 1960s, unfortunately Southern region had taken over from (G) Western on the line I knew by then, on the North western side of the new Forest. But I will model GWR...

You are correct I'm sure, the "Pullman" coaches I recall had tables with lamps in the centre with passengers seated facing each other at every window. Chocolate

with a cream stripe down the side on the exterior, probably something else though as you suggest.

Hi Steve, a very warm welcome to the site, you are in the right place for anything to do with "oo" gauge outdoor running(among other things) :shock::lol::lol::lol:

Also we like pictures! many, many pictures :) Also please do not be afraid to ask questions, remember, there are no silly questions, just questions you do not know the answer to, chances are that we have all been it the same position ourselves in the past :)

Looking forward to seeing what you are building and chatting to you in the future.

Merry Christmas and all the Best for the New Year.

Nige.

EngineDriver said:

Hi Steve, a very warm welcome to the site, you are in the right place for anything to do with "oo" gauge outdoor running(among other things) :shock::lol::lol::lol:

Also we like pictures! many, many pictures :) Also please do not be afraid to ask questions, remember, there are no silly questions, just questions you do not know the answer to, chances are that we have all been it the same position ourselves in the past :)

Looking forward to seeing what you are building and chatting to you in the future.

Merry Christmas and all the Best for the New Year.

Thank you Nige, I like your avatar, what is it?

Hi Steve, yes we like them, it's just one of the reasons that we model the U S scene instead of good old Blighty :) It also helps because they run a lot better than just about anything available on the British market as well ;) oh yes and they tend to be cheaper to buy in the first place, but then I'm biased :lol::lol:

ps

Glad you like the picture.

Nige.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

I've just been reading a book on GWR coaches by Michael Harris and on pages 84/85 is a description and photo of the GWR super saloons, Built by GWR but with fittings from Trollope and Sons.

It exactly matches your description of the "Pullman" style coaches. In the 1930s the suppliment for using them on the Paddington -Plymouth route was 10 shillings on top of the first class fare!!! They were originally built to meet the liners arriving in Plymouth.

The last two were withdrawn from BR service in 1965, but 5 were bought and preserved. There are three still in use on the south Devon railway, the other two are at Didcot awaiting restoration having been used till the 1980s.