No more loco viewing for me

traingeekboy

I know how you feel Griff, when I was a young boy I used to lay in bed on those long hot summer nights with the windows open listening to the shunting (switching) going on almost continuously at the yards at Barrow Hill which is about 3/4 of a mile away from my Mums house. :)

All gone now though the yards are closed and the track torn up save for three roads that are used for weekend wagon storage by "Freightliner" :( Ironically I drive past now in my train from time to time, it's quite depressing, just a wilderness of weeds and scrub trees. I was going to post a picture for you to see how the yards used to be but I can't remember how to do it! :(

I have now remembered how to upload the pictures. So here is one taken from the cab of a class 47 diesel in the mid 1970's we are standing on the Down Slow line having just relieved a crew, the signalman has just cleared the road as far as Barrow Hill jct. The brake van (caboose) and wagons on the left are on the reception roads of the "Up sidings" awaiting attention from the yard staff.

The lower picture is taken from the cab of a class 37 and shows the south end of the "Up Sidings" The gantry with the three signals on controls the reception roads mentioned earlier. Yard staff make there way back to the cabin and the shunter (Switcher) rumbles out of the yard after dropping a load of coal wagons onto number 2 road. The two class 20 loco's you can see had just brought another loaded coal train onto number 3 reception road, and we await departure with a loaded coal train for Repton power station.

All this again in the mid 70's

img122.jpg

img123.jpg

Denver is a booming economy. That land is worth millions to developers. I expect to see shopping malls and cheap pre fab condos.

My Brother in law worked there for a while. He posted this to his Facebook:

trivia - the main locomotive shop at Burnham has the largest indoor overhead crane west of the Mississippi! At least that's what they told us when we were crawling around on top of it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Griff, I found a few more photo's on the subject of train watching, these were taken in the seventies, sorry about the quality of but they were taken using a cheap Kodak "instamatic" camera, and they are just scans of the original photo's. They were taken from various vantage points while I was at work! :)

I hope you like them.

Southbound Peak @ Chesterfield.jpg

Class 20's @ Barrow Hill.jpg

img105.jpg

img120.jpg

img121.jpg

img124.jpg