in resplendent BR Brunswick Green

The world’s most famous steam locomotive, the legendary Flying Scotsman,

is coming back into service following a £4.2 million overhaul,

be running on the world’s busiest heritage railway,

the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.

Travel on 12. to 20. March 2016

Screenshot_5.png

yes still on the test run

The train will be hauled by locomotive No. 60103 “Flying Scotsman”, for a journey over the spectacular route through the Cumbrian Fells. This will be Flying Scotsman’s first scheduled mainline passenger run, before it's official completion and return with the inaugural run in February, it will still be in it's black base coat and not numbered at this stage, should for any reason the locomotive not be ready Black V’s 44871 and 45407 will haul the train double headed. The destination is Carlisle with time to explore the Border City.

This is really confusing, I don't know a lot of British locos, but I always thought there was only on streamy with the Flying Scotsman name being the 4472, is the 60103 the same class or a different class.

My favourite loco Is the Flying Scot 4472 and I own the one that has the water tender, so I decided to cheat a little, and came up on how to do it, we all know that the tender drive locos can only pull five coaches up a grade.

This is what I came up with, one other person on this forum has done it as well by putting a motor in the water tender, both motors had to have matching poles, mine are both 5pole motors, to my surprise it worked and can pull 16 coaches with ease, to this day still shock other members in my club when Irun 4472. Now I am trying a draw bar between the two tenders to get them closer, not that easy, the coaches I am using are having issues with derailing because of the couplers, going to modify them to the body of the coach, especially those coaches from your model railway village, my train has 11 coaches, planning 5 more.

Tony from down under

The LNER Class A3 Pacific steam locomotive No. 4472 Flying Scotsman (originally No. 1472 The locomotive having been started

under the auspices of the Great Northern Railway (GNR).)

was built in 1923 for the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER) at Doncaster Works to a design of H.N. Gresley.

In 1962, British Railways announced that they would scrap Flying Scotsman. Number 60103 ended service with its last scheduled run on 14 January 1963.

"The loco has been changed so often over the past 90 years that it is now practically impossible to present it in a wholly historically accurate appearance.

As well as the currently most well-known guises of the apple green 4472 and the BR green 60103, Flying Scotsman has also been numbered 1472, 103, and 502.

• 3 months later...

Well it certainly didn't look like it was stopping for water. Great bit of footage and something for the little one to look back upon although by the time he understands what all the fuss was about I reckon Scotsman will be in need of another overhaul.