permission granted by building control (the missus)

Baimor

Well that's it! Now I've finished the new path and the new patio building control ( our lass. Lol) has given the green light for planning and construction of my, I mean my son's, new toy! I've drawn up my plans and measured, surveyed and layed some stone ready to start assembling my baseboards ( well phase one of them anyway!). I've gone for 3/4 inch marine ply which has had 3 coats of creosote, 3 coats of bitumen and will be felt wrapped! Does this seem oK? Any advice gratefully recieved. Thanks in advance. Mark :D:D:D

• 2 weeks later...

I've spent all my working life of 40 years except for a couple for tesco, 1 at Bacton gas works and 2 years of various training courses, working in rooms with no windows. Sometimes for security more often for electronic isolation.

25 years were working on various radars and associated equipment.

Currently my job is in a room about 10ft square in a 50 ft long room, in a 100ft by 50ft room. It's at 23 degrees +- half a degree. Today I measured voltages between 100 mVolts and 1000volts at an accuracy of point one of a part in a million, resistors to a similar standard and current to 1 part in a million.

Often there is a long wait for the reading to settle, up to half an hour for 20 GOhms, but I can hardly move as leaving my chair would change the readings, so I tend to have a wander around the internet on the computer used to record the readings hence my typing from work.

Other days I might measure 30 current shunts, after setting up for each one, each requires 20 measurements of 10 characters entered into the computer spreadsheets plus itemising all the equipment used, temperature, for each . The results for each shunt would be entered into the history for that shunt, historical graphs checked, predicted values adjusted. Then the correction files for the equipment they are used on up dated, calibration records updated, and a calibration label attached. Those days my brain struggles to keep up and there's no time to look at anything else.

In the winter it's the usual, no sight of daylight all week unless I go out during my half hour lunch.

Well I don't know what is going through my Mrs mind at the moment :o:o:o !! I was going to call my garden railway Baimor Junction. The was until the Mrs pointed out that it's initials would be 'BJ'!! :o:o:o So being on a new build estate called the Waverley that is on the site of the old Orgreave Colliery I thought I would rename it Baimor Line Orgreave/Waverley. Then she pointed out the initials would be 'BLOW'!!! :D:D:D can't for the life of me think what's going through her mind!! :lol::lol::lol: Anyway it's now called the Baimor Line!! :):)

Well sorry to hear that Q. At least with my job I have the variety of being indoors or outdoors. Just to rub salt into the wound I've had a very productive day on the Baimor Line. I'm hoping that by the end of the week I've got at least enough track layed to run a train even if it's not a full circuit. The joys of being my own boss means I can give myself next week off too if I feel like playing with trains. Lol.

In my world I've never really been my own boss, the nearest is the job I have now, I know what work needs to be calibrated, I set the schedule and my boss lets me get on with it, He drops in the lab at least once a day to see if I'm still alive and I see him when I go to my outside lab desk for a tea break, though I could see me loosing that desk soon as since we had a change of practices, I hardly use the desk. ( and so would have to go to the canteen)

Occasionally I go to see him if there is technical problem, or more likely someone who won't release their equipment for calibration. Both of us have nowhere to go now as far as promotion is concerned, so we have our monthly / quarterly / six monthly / annual official job " one to one" meetings and ignore what we are supposed to talk about and just chat about anything we like.

I've now booked six days of my holiday between now and Dec31, including one the day before the Spalding MRC show (to keep SWMBO happy) and one for my birthday, I've just got 3.5 days to find a home for

:x:x:x:x:x Today, much the same as yesterday, I have been soldering. LOTS! !! :x:x:x what an absolutely soul destroying job!! Essential though I know but soul destroying none the less. I've opted for a set of 6 bus wires and droppers ( 1 pair per track ) rather than bonding as I found this to be neater in my instance. I know some will scoff that I've broken a cardinal rule and drilled my baseboards but a tiny hole either side of each rail between sleepers with a minute blob of clear silicone to prevent water ingress was the best way for my circumstances and enabled me to hide my bus wires under the baseboards. This enabled me to solder all my droppers in the comfort of the shed rather tan trying to solder outdoors. I've soldered droppers to 47 3ft lengths of flexitrack before ( thankfully) running out of solder! Lots of pics to follow tomorrow!! :D:D:D:D:D

It's a hateful job and one that I have just finished too. Droppers soldered to rails but then joined to bus wires with chocolate box connectors as I'm staying indoors. All then hidden is square plastic trunking fixed along the front edge.

lol Mart! I didn't know you could solder skin!! Do you need a special kind of flux for that?? Haha! I think the mother in law could do with her mouth soldering up!!! Haha!

Hi Roddy. I've connected my droppers to the bus using terminal blocks as these were easy to hide under the baseboards as my soldering iron wouldn't even get semi warm outdoors.Goutdoors.Good luck with the rest of yours matey. Mark