The thoughts of Chairman Q

TheQ

Firday,

What a wonderful day , the first time I've had to open the ventilator this year.

Sadly I didn't get to work on the railway, instead the first job was to do some temporary repairs to the mobile home facia. To cover some winter damage until the summer. I'd worked all the way round, and was about to put the last patch on when......

A squirrel came out of a hole in the facia, less than 18inches from me, looked straight at me and ducked back in the hole.

A few seconds after, it lept out aiming to land on a small storage shed, missed hit the side and bounced onto the ground. And then legged it. I checked the hole nothing in it so I sealed it up.

Then I started raising the floor between the mobile home, and the shed over the tops of the mobile home tow bar. That's an 18 inch raise.I've fitted support beams to the shed walls and the bottom of the mobile home with an extra beam in the middle of the alley way on the end of the Tow bars once the beams were fitted the old low level decking was raised cut to size and mounted on the beams. While doing that breeze blocks were put under more of the original commercial shed. Blocking the way to any more rats. This I'll continue as I work my way round the shed. Raising the floor also doubles the floor area as we now have the use on top of the tow bar A frames. So my stack of spare decking boards is reducing.

I did about half of the decking and hopefully will finish it over the next 3 days, weather permitting. When it's soggy or if I finish this bit I'll return to building layout supports and shelves in the shed.

I completed The decking in the alley way just as SWMBOs brother and wife turned up at13:15. So I tidied up and that was it for the day. I believe they are wanting to go to the local car boot tomorrow before leaving late on. So still no railway work, no rain yet but it's been blowing a hoolie all day, could be interesting keeping the kilt under control on the way to the sailing club dinner tonight.

We arrived at the pub ( read these days restaurant that serves beer) and surprisingly drove past rows of parked cars and got the second nearest to the pub spot. The only other closer spot was if I'd have arrived by boat. It was a very good meal for 100, Two courses plates piled high for £15 a person plus coffee after. So it wasn't too windy walking in, it was worse coming out while we'd had the dinner the first of this weekend's storms had arrived. It was bucketing down, and very windy. Arms down the sides of the kilt time.

While there we got the invite for the next do, which is a sailing funday followed by barbeque, sadly I'm on a first aid course that day, so I'll miss the sailing, the instructions are to be dressed in red and white., because it's 23rd April St Georges day. I'm tempted to wear a Royal Stewart Kilt and White "3 Rivers Race" polo shirt.

Sadly no railway shed work today as we took SWMBOs brother and wife out to a rather disappointing car boot sale very few stands compared with normal. So we then went off to an art exhibition that SWMBO normally exhibits at, last year she couldn't exhibit at as we had to go to Rotherham shortly before for a funeral. So she didn't get the invite this year, but she got her name down for next year while we were there . After that it was off to the pub.

I walked up to the railway shed in horizontal drizzle at 08:00, as Storm Katie was busy, just after SWMBO arrived later that turned into torrential rain.

I started by cutting and installing plywood tops for the layout supports. In this case for the area of Ludgershall station. I then made the shelves for more of my railway books.

During that we had two new leaks from the roof around the area of her books which required some rapid moving of them. Later on when Katie started to leave out into the North sea I went up on the roof in the high winds but no rain to see what had happened and found what looks like stress fractures. I think with the bringing in and loading up of the shelves with SWMBOs 2500 Art and Craft books has caused the wooden shed to settle and move. So I went up with a tub of goo and sealed all the fractures. When the leaks have dried we'll reload those shelves and I'll go back up and check the roof again.

I've just had the latest Windows 10 Download, it's not just your normal 5 minute one, it took 2 hours on a 6Mb line with another hour messing about after. Effectively it's another operating system.

Problem.....

It's stuffed my graphics system, I had dual monitors running 1920X1080 now it will only run 1280X1024 and puts the same picture up on both screens. I've since found out that my graphics card is not supported and won't be. But in the mean time I went looking for a new driver. Found one down loaded it....

VIRUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3497 of them according to Malwearbytes.

So that's really stuffed things. The virus even turned off my firewall!!!!

I'll boot into safe mode tonight and turn things back to the install safe point, but the old safe mode has also changed, so I'll need my Android tablet alongside to give me instructions on how to do it.!!

Mean time I've just ordered a new video card Ouch....

The moral is, check your old video card is compatible before you try getting a new driver!!!

I now never up grade anything as it cost to much in time and money to put it right.

Having said that l don't actually own a computer at the moment after some kind sole decided that they needed it more than me via a smashed window.

If it ain't broke don't fix it as they say.

The Trouble with Windows 10 is it is configured to update automatically, while you can stop this, if you do you stop the security updates leaving you wide open if some lowlife discovers yet another hole... Even the Windows Defender system is now built in not a separate programme.

For my own system I still run each time I use the computer one of either CC cleaner, IObit system clean, or Malwarebytes. between them they not only keep viruses away but clear any accumulating junk...

As of last night after 2 more hours work, running each of the above, and doing a restore point. I'm now fairly certain the machine is safe again. What I've noticed is I've accumulated quite a few programmes over they years that I don't use any more, so some thinning out will probably start tonight.

Just did a count up, I've got in the region of 20 computers stashed away, of which 4 are in use, and 4 are allocated for the Railway shed. Well 1 for the railway, one for SWMBOs Computer projector / artwork picture storage, one for radio / Music / DVD playing, back up of the others. and one low power one to be left on to run the weather station.

Well I'm just back from the Norwich MRC show at Hellesdon High School

It appeared to be slightly smaller this year, and hall 2 seemed to have too many "toy" layouts. The club itself had a circular test track with almost every scale from Z to O represented even the Hornby A4 steamers were running round at the same time. One thing I noticed was that other than a slight trace of steam from the chimney, no more that the smoke unit makes, there was no visible difference from running an electric A4, even the controller looked almost the same. Is the huge increase in price for a steamer ( if you could get one today) worth it? I think not.

There seemed to be a lot of micro layouts, several were quite well made, is this the general future of layouts or is it just convenient for the organisers?

There were some interesting N gauge and OO layouts, I noticed very little scratch building, most used a selection of card kits or ready to plonk buildings. There was a Bachmann building quite similar to the main station I'll need to build but at £62 it's way too expensive to chop around match the real station.

For my layout I bought 4 loose, and 2 boxed secondhand wagons, plus I needed a couple of new fine saws.

Overall I suppose a slightly disappointing show this year but everyone must have an off year.

At least you came back with a few bits and bobs that you wanted, I always like to "get" something from a show, no matter what it is, it makes it all the more worthwhile if you can add something else to the layout when you get home.

What did you mean by "Toy" layouts?

As good as some of them are I am getting fed up with seeing micro layouts, I agree there are more and more at exhibitions these days, and while I have no doubt there is a place for them within the hobby I personally find them incredibly boring, if it came to having one of them or not having a layout then I think I would be very hard pushed go down that route. I hope I never have to put it to the test!

Went to the Alley Pally show a couple of weeks ago and even there l was a bit disapointed. There was a good selection of trade stands and some had items cheaper than model shop prices which is always welcome. Then you have the big model shops stands, again some "show discounts" but pretty much selling the same stuff for the same prices. Personally l like to hit the pre owned stands but normally having to work Saturdays by time l get there late afternoon or Sunday most of the good stuff is gone.

As for the layouts l felt that there was no big signiture layout there this year. Yes there were some big ones but nothing outstanding, nothing you would stand and watch for ages sort of thing.

I am lucky that l have a couple of good bigish local ones to go to during the year, handy for topping up on all the little stuff you need but never get round to ordering.

As you say say the small diorama layouts are good and certanlly show of a high level of modeling skills but l suppose others love them they just dont flot my boat.

Alley Pally had a couple of proper toy train layouts, vintage Wren, HornbyDublo etc, all with lots happening and large crowds watching, something to think about.

Biggest thing that got up my nose there was an MRC organiser going round trying to blag discounts of traders with a "Harry says he can do it for this price can you better it" patter. As l happen to know it was for personal and not club use l found that a bit much. At least do it in private and not in front of the public.

By toy layouts I mean layouts without scenery, but for ready to plonk station buildings and signal boxes. Quite often they are 3 rail, vintage, lego or Thomas. To me if you a modeling O gauge or below then scenery should be part of the layout. Live steam 0 gauge or any power or gauge above you are into model engineering with scenery optional.

Today I've been working on the alley way, I put up 10 vertical beams several horizontals and modified the entrance.

During this I had a long discussion with SWMBO and the alley way roof will now be extended to reach the peak of the shed this will raise the wall by 2 ft or 4 ft giving more head room above the fiddle yard and more storage space. Being a larger smoother roof there will be fewer joins and make a more unified area.

Today I had an accident, I hit the side of my head on a beam then I felt something running down the side of my face. So I reached up to wipe it away my fingers came back blue, not dark red blue from a vein, but bright blue!!¡ I'd smashed a Biro held by my big ears!! It was a pig of a job cleaning it off later!!

I quite agree with you there, I do not understand why they do not build proper scenery when they use the older equipment. My daughter has talked me into building a three rail Hornby Dublo layout with her but it will be fully scenic as you would with any layout you would build today. She just loves the tin plate wagons and coaches, and I must admit the loco's are so easy to repair and maintain and they run really really well. I know they don't have the super high level of detail you get today but I think they are still more than acceptable. It's becoming quite addictive collecting it as well. :)

This weekend has been a little weird. On Saturday the motor scooter needed to go for its MOT, because we live in the middle of nowhere that means me driving to the MOT / service centre with SWMBO following in the car. Dropping the bike off and doing the reverse a week later. This also means having to visit the shops as we don't often go to that town.

So I pottered around clearing some of the next portion of the shed To be worked on for a couple of hours before setting off in the rain with the bike.

We got back 4 hours later,

:) one thing I got was a lidl floor mat 1M by 2M green very thin and very like a cross between Grass sheet for layouts and basket liner it was only £4.99 so I think I have the basis for all the grass on the layout. :)

So on returning it was only Potter around again, clearing lots of old packaging out to the bonfire.

Sunday, as the wind had changed to the east and some what chilly when poked my head above the roof line, I was able to light to bonfire without risk to the nearest house which is thatched. Lots of twiggy branches from several trees I've been demolishing and all that packaging meant a big fire.

After that it was back to working on the alley way, the problem was that come lunch time I started measuring things wrong then I started looking at some figures on cutting the wood And I just couldn't understand them. I think something was wrong with my sugar levels..

After a cup of coffee and a sandwich it was back to work, a lot more framing was put up including for the work bench.

Work bench? Yep I have permission to put a work bench down the side of the mobile home. I'm going to layout my pillar drill, grinding wheels, big vice and various other "dirty" tools that need their own space and bolting down along the bench.

We went and got the motorscooter from its MOT and service first thing Saturday, it was bucketing down and continued to do so till 16:00.

So I spent the day in the shed prefabricating bits for the alley way, with just the odd dash out into the rain to measure things. I also sanded down and got the undercoat on a door for the alley way.

Sunday at 07:30 I wandered down to the shed in the very cold Sunshine, while in there turning on the heater and radio it started bucketing down and did so for half an hour.. When it stopped I went out with all the bits made the day before and started to assemble them.

First, was to fit an old shed door to the back of the alley, measurements were correct so once the door frame was screwed in, I hung the door with just a little planeing on one corner. There are steps down to the door and a shed door is short, so I fitted another hinged door, made to measure, roughly 2ft high 2 ft 6inches wide, immediately above it. If you open the main door, both open together, but you can open just the top one to let the heat out in summer.

The rest of the space between the door and the mobile home was filled with six decking planks, which fitted without cutting exactly in both directions. A door frame was then fitted in the other end of the alley way and the old back door of the mobile was fitted ( a traditional 9 pane door). Then it was time to assemble the work bench framing which stretches from door frame to door frame, 19ft 6 inches. There are several supports and cross beams with more yet to fit. Then the front door of the alleyway was painted white to match the shed front, the back door was painted with black bitumen, the decking wall was left bare at the moment it will be painted with the same brown stain as that side of the mobile home next time I paint that.

I need to replace / move a down pipe before filling in the front wall from mobile home to new door frame.

Right then, My other hobby other than SWMBO, is Sailing, here are some events at my sailing club that are of interest to the public, if you happen to be in the area.

These will slowing model railway work from this week end on, when I'm on a first aid course ready for these events. I'm on duty for all these this year.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Horning Boat Show 2016, On Saturday 30th April 2016, Opening at 10.00 am closing at 5.00 pm it's free!!!! http://www.horningboatshow.co.uk/

Horning sailing club will be running "try a boat" Come and try sailing with an experienced club member in a 20ft+ keel boat for a cost of £5.

if you don't fancy that, come and have one of our cheap cups of coffee or tea and watch what's going on, while you have a break from wandering around the show.

I'll just be wandering around, doing a meet and greet role for this one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Horning Sailing Club will be running "The 3 RIVERS RACE", The 2016 race will be held on the weekend of 4th and 5th June, first start 11:00. This is one of the largest inland waterways passage races in Europe. Video of the start,

In roughly 10 to 20 boat starts, at 5 minute intervals, up to 150 boats of 12ft to 40ft will sail the 50+ mile course round the Norfolk broads.

This involves going under the Potter Heigham and Acle bridges so the mast has to come down 4 times!! The record is 8 hours, the worst year only 14 boats finished. Video of the bridges,

The rivers are tidal, so at some points, particularly the bridges, the tidal speed can 3 or 4 miles an hour, when your max boat speed is only 6mph, choosing which way to go round the course is crucial.

The best viewing points are Horning Swan Green and the Horning Village green, at any of the PUBs enroute and at the Bridges.

The best I ever achieved was 13th, My worst time 23 hours 57 minutes and 7 seconds, I have done it in around 10 hours but everyone was quick that year.

This year I'll be on a guard ship in Hickling broad, there are guard ships ( about ten) throughout the course, where the competitors have to report as they go past (so we don't lose anyone) there is normally a rescue boat associated with each guard ship as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Horning Sailing Club Annual regatta, there is video on the internet of this back in 1908!!

But this is from 2015.

( I'm the rescue boat driver in the big black hat)

This year it will be on 1st to the 5th of August 2016, actually we have a couple of club days before this but you won't be able to see that as there is nowhere to watch on the broad.

The main Regatta is on the river outside the club first race is at 09:30 the last at around 17:00 (depending on wind conditions). There are around 30 races a day. At some points there could be 100+ boats out on the river. Age range 8 to 108 , that's the helms and crew.... The boats can be older or younger!!

The best viewing points are the Swan Green and the Swan Pub. This is an open event so anyone with a sailing dinghy or keel boat of up to about 25ft can enter there are between 3 and 6 races per day you would qualify to enter. Sailing cruisers have a race at lunch time each day

I'll be on rescue boat this year as my sailing boat is at home being restored, when it's warm enough!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

year

Saturday was spent on a first aid course, as the guard ships need to have Someone qualified on board. When I got home at 16:30, I was in the dog house, SWMBO had been in the shed sorting ,and when she tried to leave at 10:00, the inside door handle failed. So she tried the back door, this door is never going to be used except in an emergency, it hasnt been open since i built it. And it didnt want to open now. The yale lock knob wouldn't turn, it took her half an hour hammering the yale till it turned and then shoulder charging to the door to get it to open. So the back door was now held closed by string when I got home.

After that there was a barbeque down the sailing club as part of a St Georges day, social event. SWMBO won the best St Georges day dress prize so that cheered her up a bit....

So today, first thing was to fix the doors. With my extra thick door frame the interior bar between the handles had moved. So the was easy to fix it won't do it again. The back door was a bit more difficult, the wood had moved as the shed settled. I had to remove the socket in the door frame for the catch, chisel it out and the refit ( after several tries) the door is now little loose except at the catch. I'll have to get some thicker door seals. The door needs modifying anyway as we've decided to change it to a stable door, so on hot days we can leave the bottom closed to keep the wildlife out, but leave the top open for a sea breeze.

Once that was completed it was back to the alleyway, during the week I'd been seriously thinking about the design, particularly of the joins to the moblie home and the shed roof. Also I've been studying how polycarbonate rooves should be installed. The joint to the shed above the door to the garden side is now heavily revised giving more strength to the frame and there is a roughly 1 foot wide solid roof / drainage channel before the polycarbonate roof will start. There is still a bit to do on that before its finished.

Also I'd discovered that polycarbonate has to be screwed down at 700mm intervals, so drilling through the large sheets I'd planned to use. This seemed pointless, so I've now decided to use 700mm sheets, with the proper roof bars between.

This requires all the roof bars to be realigned, so i've moved the first intermediate beam. A lot more to follow and probably another wooden panel at the other end.

The joints along the shed roof and to the mobile home are now a lot simpler and made as per a normal conservatory.

Saturday

Good news walked down to railway shed with 6 locos I got at the model railway club last night. These were from the estate of a late member of the club , when i was putting them in place i found SWMBO had brought some boxes of wagons down there.

The rest of the day was spent at the sailing club, getting people to visit the sailing club, either for a cup of tea or to go out on a trial sail. We got several new members and several booking themselves or their children in for lessons with our sailing school.

Sunday I walked down to the railway shed through the heavy frost, and switched the heater on. After an hour pottering around in the shed it got warm enough to go out side to work on the alleyway again. When I started I found yet another problem with my proposed roofing I spent some time just sitting there looking for a solution. Then I realised all I had to do was raise the roof supports at the mobile home two inches. This did require the making of 7 new wooden triangles making a support screwed to the wall. That done, i got up on the shed roof to measure up for the supports on the roof of the shed. While lying down thinking about it i fell asleep!!

After about half an hour i awoke, i then built the supports and fitted them, for once was happy with them straight away and a trial fit of the roof beams was OK.

This bank holiday Monday was spent finishing the roof supports, that done some of it was boarded over and flashbanded to form a waterproof Valley.

The beams were then fitted loosely so that they can adjusted to their final position when the polycarbonate arrives.

After a day standing around at the boat show, then two days clambering up and down ladders onto the roof. My knees are somewhat painful it's definately time for a couple of ibuprofen before bed.