chuffed newbie just repaired an old lima shunter

Baimor

I recently got into model railways as something I could do with my 5 year old after taking him to the national railway museum and him developing a keen interest in trains. I bought an old lima shunter from eBay untested and jobs upraised it didn't run at all! Despite my local model shop declaring it dead and unrepairable I thought I had nothing to lose by stripping it and having a go at repairing it myself. There are 2 carbon bushes which attach to the motor which in turn are held in with 2 springs. One e of the springs was absent and not being able to find a replacevent I had an idea!! I removed the one remaining spring and measured it's length. I then cut the spring in half and then stretched both of the halves to the same length as the original one spring. I was amazed to find my repair had worked and my dead train now runs perfectly!!! Just thought I'd share this as it may be useful to someone in the same position. :D:D:D

Congrats on your fix. The Lima G type motor is a crappy device, but it can be made to work well enough. I've done the same thing with some of mine.

Here in the USA everyone is obsessed with scale speed running so all the new locos run too slow for my tastes. I like the old toy train mechs that run really fast.

I have a spell checker nazi too. It will take any misspelling and immediately convert it to the wrong word entirely. I'd rather have the typos than the meaningless crap it produces.

Oh yeah, tinkering with locos is really fun.

I actually look for dead locos online. Most people won't think to do really basic maintenance, which is just taking it apart and cleaning it, so often a dead engine is just sleeping as far as I am concerned.

I just make sure it looks like all the pieces are there when I buy. I do the same thing with coaches, it's amazing the deals you'll find.

Yes tgb aren't online auctions full of amazing bargains? ?? I've just been to collect 28 yards of code 100 nickel silver flexitrack that I won for 99 pence! !!! :D:D:D:D I only had to drive 6 miles for it too! Only thing is its got some foam track underlay on it which I'm having to peel off as I think it will act as a sponge outside and absorb loads of water. I now have over 225 yards of track that I have bought via eBay and I've not even spentt £100!! :D:D:D:D

Well we all like a bargain us brits! !! Lol!! I've only bought 2 ovals of track that were new the rest have just been bargain second hand stuff I've picked up! Sure the odd piece will need an inch or 2 cutting off the ends and the odd sleeper or 2 replacing but it's all excellent quality stuff I've managed to pick up for a fraction of new prices. I only bought the 2 new ovals as I needed some controllers and my local model shop were selling brand new ovals with controllers for £24.50 from sets they'd split! Just in case anyone reading this is interested the shop is called Rails of Sheffield. Check out their website they have some proper bargains!!!