What is the Best train? What would you recommend me to buy?

pppp

Ridiculous question, but you must have a favourite train that always runs well.

My trains are recovered from the family attic are hornby models from the 80's and 90's and have various defects.

Are there any trains out there that are very reliable, work even when the tracks not perfect, doesn't derail or breakdown and can run for long periods of time?

What train or trains would you recommend me to buy?

Most newer models run differently. I would say they run smoother, but I sort of like how my old models run, as they run faster. New models are designed toward the idea of scale speed. It's something I find silly.

Most of your older models may be in need of a little maintenance. It's pretty easy to do yourself with a small set of screw drivers and some plastic safe lubricant. If your trains are mostly hornby, they tend to have screws hidden underneath that are easy to remove and then the whole plastic cover comes off revealing the mechanism. I wouldn't undo anything having to do with steam engine wheels.

But if you want a new train a lot of the guys seem to like ordering from hattons. Seeing as you are in France, you may want to consider getting something your son is familiar with like an electric SNCF train.

Even with the new trains, they'll run beautifully at first and then need some maintenance as well. So regardless of your decision, it's worth learning to do some basic repairs. :)

And no, no favorites from me. In HO scale most things run pretty well. Now when I was doing N scale, I would have talked your ear off about bad runners. :)

Very difficult to say. Modern diesels are generally excellent all round and very reliable. A couple of years ago you'd have been able to pick them up relatively cheaply but these days they're a bigger hit on the pockets. I tend to favour Bachmann class 37s and 47s and Hornby class 60s but my normal tester loco is a very reliable and capable Heljan class 26. There's just so many to choose from these days that it would be extremely difficult to single any one model out. It all depends on what your particular preferences are. What would you choose if you could have any one at all?