Bachmann 2014/2015 Programme

mick

Bachmann will be revealing details of their new 2014/2015 releases tomorrow (Sunday 20th July) so once you've had a look through what they have to offer let us know what you think and whether or not there's anything of interest to you.

I always look forward to the Bachmann Europe announcement which, as you probably know, has been arranged for later than usual this year to coincide with the 25th anniversary of the initial Bachmann Branchline product range. After all the hype and secrecy I'd like to think there will be something very, very special on offer. Not much longer to wait in order to find out.

I recall an event on November 5th when, as a young child, the blue touch paper was lit and we waited in eager anticipation for the............phuttt!

A somewhat meagre offering of new products in my opinion, especially with all the 25th Anniversary billing and the delayed release of the annual announcement, but hold on....

"....Additional stories will be posted over the coming weeks as we reveal our new and exciting plans to you, our dedicated modellers and collectors across the world."

Oh right, so we have to wait........

To be honest I was expecting at least one rather special product to mark the Bachmann 25th Anniversary (the 2014 Silver Anniversary Set comprising Class 47 and Jubilee loco were hardly that) but if we are to believe the above statement then perhaps that's still to come.

Now where's that packet of sparklers - they could always be relied upon to give a decent show.

An illustration of the new catalogue is now on the Bachmann website. What I am also disappointed about is that the "more affordable" sound fitted locos, announced 12 months ago, have now been dropped without ever appearing, according to an email I received this morning from Liverpool. These were to have been fitted with Soundtraxx decoders, as fitted to some Bachmann USA locos. I wonder if the Hornby TTS locos will be fitted with these, when, or if, they appear. I have been holding off buying a Duke of Gloucester in anticipation of getting one with sound, at a list price of £139.99

Riddles said:

An illustration of the new catalogue is now on the Bachmann website...

So that leaves us with the NRM/Locomotion announcement.

I'm not particularly looking for anything new, and I'm certainly not 'having a go' at Bachmann for any perceived lack of new products, I just think that after all the hype and fanfare aimed at the 20th July announcement there should have been a more noteworthy Silver Jubilee Commemorative Set than the one being offered comprising the class 47 with Union Flag and a Silver Jubilee steam locomotive, which had been previously announced some time earlier. Not that I wouldn't want to buy it but it just didn't seem quite worthy of the occasion, but that's just my personal view.

The hobby itself is in transition and I wouldn't rule out the possibility that even Bachmann aren't sure just what's going on at the moment. Hattons' may well have information regarding the position with the Bachmann budget sound fitted loco's but it would seem that the news hasn't yet filtered through to other retailers. Some clarification is certainly required on that.

There is now a demonstration of Hornby's TTS sound fitted P2 on YouTube at

It's a pity about the background music. The sound fitted Duke of Gloucester is now expected by Hattons on 15th September.

There are no mentions of any sound fitted steam locos on the new Bachmann list although there are 9 diesels with sound shown but I would not call them particularly "affordable"!

the Bachmann announcement didnt really excite me that much. Theres not much there that I would want to add to an already overstocked garden railway. I might feel a bit better when I see the catalogue in my hands. Even now, the yearly catalogues are something I look forward to, just like when I was a kid.

With regards to the P2... Ive been doing a lot of work for Hornby these past two years, so when they asked if I wanted the P2, they also asked which version. I have opted for the Hi Detailed on that ships later. I certainly think the TTS sound is a great new feature, as the video shows, and when you weigh up the cost of a proper sound decoder, its a no brainer... but for me, I dont think sound really fits in with my GR at the moment. Neighbours spend all summer in their garden, and also, being on the beach, we get a lot of seagulls screaming. This is why you wont get much sound in my videos.

So, back on track... I shall reserve judgement fully on the Bachmann releases when I have a catalogue in my hand, a cuppa in the other, and a plate of digestives on my lap.

Im with you Craig - not much to get me excited, but then again I have a very specific and small wishlist of items that I would like to see produced.

I used to like dreaming my way through the catalogues, especially the Hornby ones, which used to have products pictured on what looked like magnificent layouts, but once they started costing as much as a piece of rolling stock they were intended to promote, I gave up.

Perhaps I should have started a new thread but there has also been news this week from Dave Jones (formerly of Dapol) about DJ Models future plans, They look rather more interesting than Bachmann's and include, in 00 gauge :-

Raven Q6 0-8-0 steam locomotive RRP IRO £135.00,

Hudswell Clarke 24t Industrial 0-6-0ST RRP IRO £109.95,

Class 59 Diesel locomotive RRP IRO £139.95

Class 71 Electro Locomotive RRP IRO £139.95 . The Class 71 may be delayed unless "Kickstarter Funding" is sought.

A super detailed J94 was announced last September.

(A separate DJ Models thread has now been created under Other Manufacturers)