Ironhorse Rambles

Ironhorse

Greetings from Wichita Kansas. My name is Robert and as stated in the Welcome and Introduction section I was a frustrated Model Railroader due to the lack of indoor space. I am going to try to chronicle in this section my progress and mistakes on my new adventure of outdoor model railroading in HO/OO Scale With everyone’s impute and Idea’s I hope it will be a successful adventure. It may take me a bit to get up to speed on how to post and utilize this awesome forum so please bare with me.

Okay now for my progress so far, this first picture shows my design concept which is a conglomeration of many different members and online ideas. I am using PVC Lattice and window trim with pink or blue foam board as the base for the rolled roofing.

[album]2564[/album]

The 2nd picture shows the built up PVC Benchwork for the foam board

[album]2565[/album]

3rd picture shows the whole design concept with the next section waitiing to be added, which has not been added yet due to #@^*! lousy weather

[album]2566[/album]

4th,5th and 6th pictures show more of the overall idea

[album]2571[/album]

[album]2568[/album]

[album]2567[/album]

So far what little I have done has survived 70 mph storm winds, ah the joys of living in tornado alley. I will be taking more pictures this weekend and will post my progress. look forward to hearing from everyone.

Best Regards

Ironhorse

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Robert, welcome to the forum, those are awesome curves you are constructing there , and from what I have seen from your pics so far you have a flat back yard, what I lack, going to be some layout when finely finished. Like the idea what you are using for the frame work PVC lattice, my layout is at ground level, have had a train fall off the old module layout years back, luckily it was only the wagons and not the two locos, I have only just started out this year in constructing a HO scale garden railway too, most of the layout will be under the pergola will be interested in your progress, I model Australian American and some British trains, modelling the Tehachapi loop.

Robert, This is great.

You've come up with a very different way of constructing baseboards. Over the years some of us have chatted about using PVC, but none of us have done it. I won't be the only one watching your progress with great interest.

Can you tell us more about your construction materials please.

Aussietmrail thanks for the welcome. As far as curves go it is sometimes easy to forget I can make just about any size curve I want outdoors and I know what you are saying about losing a train off the side of the elevated track, in my design the sides are about a ¼ of an inch higher then track level, I would have loved to have built it at ground level but I have a very high drive 11 month old German Shepherd Dog AKA. Alsatian that would make short work of any train running at ground level plus my knees and back are not what they use to be. ;) I have been lurking around the site for a while before joining, I have been following your work on the Tehachapi loop, very cool!!

traingeekboy yes that is rolled roofing, I try to find it at the big box lumberyard with some damage on it so I can get it at a discount. As far as putting it together, the farther I get on the build the faster it goes. I am hoping to run trains on it by the end of this month but as they say talk is cheap. As to size I am calling this phase 1 getting a loop built for continuous running and then after that, continue expanding when time and money allows which does not come as often I would like. I will try and get some pictures of all the bench work lined up so everyone can get an idea of the size of phase 1.

HI Robert, How is the progress of you outdoor layout going, a pity with your dog you have to build up high, don't own a dog, be nice to get one though, have enough to handle looking after our disabled son which is in a electric wheel chair and why I can't have my outdoor layout permanently set up, be nice, have designed the layout on a module system even the Tehachapi loop is in sections.

No way I would be bending down on my knees and laying the track and doing the wiring, all the work gets done on two saw horses going to buy a third one so it will be easier working on two modules together, the cut curves will be done the same way too. And when it comes to the module track joins will be bolted together, track lined up and cut at the join sections.

What do you actually model in the way of trains, I am just starting to get into Union Pacific freight trains.

Tony from QLD Australia.

Edited by Guest

Tony here is some photos of the latest progress I hope to have a lot more done this weekend

[album]2634[/album]

[album]2608[/album]

[album]2592[/album]

As far as the dog he is not all that bad he is only 11 months old and is still learning. I bet you and your son will love to run trains when your awesome modules are done and for that matter I can’t wait to see them when they are done as well. I mainly model steam era PRR, New York Central, Norfolk Western, Santa Fe and yes Union Pacific If I ever get a chance to buy a Big Boy or Challenger, I guess what I am saying is I like steam no matter what road I have become enamored with a lot of UK steam as well.

Robert AKA Ironhorse

Hi Robert,

Those pics are awesome what you have done so far and like the way what you are using for legs, are the legs steel piping or that PVC drainage pipe you can buy sure going to good to see the trains running through those big S bends.

I only have got three steam locos , Flying Scotsman 4472 which I am planning to have two powered tenders second one hidden as the water tender and NSW's famous 3801 in a Lima version and Thomas tank engine.

Working on Revel 87 scale Big Boy kit and going to do a model of the big display Union Pacific has of Kennefick Park Omaha Nebraska , a pity as I can't post any pics I have of the park, yes would love a Athearn model of Big Boy and athearn's 4-8-4 FEF 844 steamy to double head with my Bachman DD40AX 6936, got a second DD40AX which I will be replacing the shell with a new DD40AX 6900 running number body shell to get it right.

As for posting bigger pics you can go down to the bottom of the page where it say's Options and Upload attachments, took me a while to work it out and you have to make sure to pic size isn't too big.

Dscf0061m.jpg

Dscf0061m.jpg.24cd2b25ec1428a14d5456f1062c1012.jpg

Hi Robert,

I am very much interested in the time zones and have noticed your last post was posted 10:59am, my time it is Thursday 10:27am, checked your time and it is early Wednesday evening, 7:58pm, Mainly got the US times so I can ring Philadelphia to order the DD40AX replacement shell from Bachman, I would have to ring the about 11pm my time the day after, crazy.

What time is it showing up on your post when you send it, is the question I forgot to ask, now 10:48am my time

Tony

Edited by Guest

Tony I am still at work and will be leaving around 8:15pm. I will try to post a more detailed info on my project soon, including how I do my legs, if you want checkout my gallery. What is the story on the beautiful green 4-6-2 you have posted, is it avalible as a model? I actualy have ridden behind 4-8-4 844 back in the early 90s awsome locomotive, I can't wait for for UP to get the Big Boy 4014 operational, what a undertaking.

Robert AKA Ironhorse

Hi Robert,

Had a look on your pics, looks like the legs you are building are of the PVC drainage pipe, easy to work with and pretty strong will do the job, saw a couple of pics of your dog, nice dog, we only had a small house dog, my wife doesn't want another dog now, pity.

Yeah the 4-6-2 steam loco is called the 38 class, and two different models were bough out the non streamline and streamlined 3801 which was mainly built for speed between Sydney and Newcastle, called the Newcastle Flyer.

A few different models were bough out of the 3801 Lima being one of them the one I have got, Eureka has bought a 3801 streamlined model out with sound a while back and doing a re-run late this year, keeping a very close eye when the model comes out as it will be a better model than the Lima was, should do $600+

I am pretty sure we got 3801's design from your N@W J class 4-8-4 is very close to the design of 3801 4-6-2.

">

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have you seen any updates on UP 4014 which is home now, will get you a link on you tube, I think UP want to rebuild Big Boy 4014 in ready for the next big Golden Spike anniversary then they will have all three big locos together Big Boy Challenger and FEF 4-8-4 844.

Tony

Edited by Guest

Robert,

Picture size for my posts are slightly different as the majority of the pictures I now post are in my Imageshack account. I just copy and paste pictures, as its also saves me time having to keep the same picture in 3 differnt forum galleries.

As for the UP Big Boy's. The weathered one is 4013, 1976 Rivarrossi with a new Chinese fitted motor., and is mine. 4005, which the 2 others are belong to a couple of friends of mine. All have working lights front and rear and are completely original, and non weathered but both date from 1977/78.

Ian

Hi Robert, I have just worked it out the forum is on UK time which is 8 hours behind me in Australia, I don't know the time zone from where you live to UK be interesting, this will be a test when I sent the post.

Hope to get out to my train club next week as I got the last of the orders on the Your model railway village Mark1 maroon coaches, got 8 of them now and a restaurant car, need to get a brake van that will make ten, will see if the Flying Scotsman will pull the whole lot, going to modify a second powered tender as a water tender that will help on the spirals. I still intend to get a British diesel loco, for the other blue and grey inter city coaches, not sure what class as yet.

The time sent is an hour difference 10:29pm