Hello from the states

Ironhorse

Hello all, my name is Robert Tucker I live in Wichita Kansas almost in the middle of the states. I am so glad to find this group, you see I have been a frustrated model railroader for years due to the lack of space on the inside, over here in the states the majority of people think anything smaller then O scale outdoors is a waste of time or it can’t be done. Because of all of you and few over here in the states I have finally decided to build my railroad empire outdoors in HO Scale, my main interest is the steam era time period and I also have become enamored with OO scale UK steam locomotives because of you guys as well. I would like to post photos, info and get advice from the great resource of members of this group with my progress when I have a chance to do so. :D

Best Regards

Robert Tucker

Hi Robert and welcome to the forum. Sorry for the delay approving your first post but the weather in the UK hasn't been suitable for outdoor railways over recent days and so I've been away doing other things when I should really have been keeping a closer eye on the forum.

Lack of space indoors is an issue for many modellers and is the reason most of us chose to venture outdoors. But going outdoors shouldn't be seen as the last resort because it holds many advantages over an indoor layout. Outdoors we can build proper structures using bricks and mortar - no more cardboard models for us! There's also the added attraction of natural light and scenery. There are obstacles to overcome of course, especially in the smaller scales that we favour here, but don't let anyone put you off - bigger isn't always better. There's no better sight than a scale length goods/freight train trundling round the garden and over bridges/viaducts, and in OO/HO scales that's a realistic possibility no matter what the size of your garden.

Looking forward to seeing what you have in mind and of course to any photos you care to share.

YES! Another garden railway underway on my side of the pond. ;) Glad to see you joining, you will not regret it. there's nothing like saying, "I've got 3 scale miles of mainline on my layout..." ha ha I only have 47 feet of mains, but I would never have even that in HO scale in my house as my house is around 1000 sq ft. on the inside.

I look forward to plans and pics and anything else you might have. Some of the guys here will probably be interested in seeing any images you have of trains around Wichita too.

Glad to see you on here IronHorse!

Hi Mick and traingeekboy, Thanks for the welcome. Mick I followed your old Selby Garden Railway with great interest and was sad to see it go, but what you have done with Woresley Dale is absolutely incredible. traingeekboy what you can do on a budget is a inspiration to us newbies, both you and Mick have played no small part in my finally getting off my duff and getting started on my new model railroad adventure. I will attempt in the next few days to post some photos of my progress so far. Should I just post them here or start posting in another area of the forum? Any suggestions on proper way to use the forum is greatly appreciated. Well I have to go for now.

Best Regards

Ironhorse