Considering a garden railway

Hi there,

First post and all that...

I used to have a fairly large attic layout which I never really got to a useable state and ended up taking it down when we had to move due to my wife becoming terminally ill and our then house not being suitable for her needs.

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=77&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The house we moved to has a converted loft which would be ideal for a layout but my eldest daughter is quite likely to want "her own space" in a couple of years so the loft is earmarked for her. However, I've just cleared the garden or pretty much anything that could be cleared and what was originally considered to be quite a pokey little garden actually looks like a reasonable space. I'm planning to stay here for at least 15 to 20 years (youngest is 18 months and close to schools etc) so I've decided I would like to make the garden a bit more "me"

Hence the layout idea. I kept back all the rolling stock I didn't want to part with and still have the Rocco wireless DCC kit.

I'm unsure which magazine it was but a couple of years ago there was an article of a garden layout in OO that only had two round and round lines. No points at all. I like the the simple idea of having trains just rolling around rather than an intricate layout full of points. The layout was in like a raised brick section with I think, a concrete bed for the track. This is more or less what I have in mind. A bridge over a pond would be great or at the moment a bridge over an empty space until I can trust the nipper not to go throwing herself into it!

Does anyone know which layout I'm on about? It would help me greatly if I could use the article as a reference. Got a bricklayer coming on the weekend, weather permitting to rebuild a retaining wall in the garden so will have a chat about what I'm thinking of.

Hi mate and welcome to the forum.

Your previous attic layout looked an ambitious project but I've only had a quick peek and I've not had chance to look through the whole blog just yet. I think unfinished projects are, for one reason or another, part and parcel of railway modelling - I'm yet to complete anything and I've been interested in model railways for more than 30 years.

On the bright side I think you'll find that an outdoor railway can be much simpler in design than an indoor layout. You'll not need so many points and in fact, as you mention, you could quite probably get away without any at all if all you want is to sit and watch the trains pass by. There's no elaborate scenic work required because the garden becomes your scenic backdrop and you don't need to worry about installing lighting because we have our own. The weather can be a disadvantage but we just wait until it's all blown over. It's good that you've kept some of your stock and the controller so that you have something to start with.

I don't recall the magazine article you refer to and I get 2 magazines every month but that doesn't mean it isn't in either Model Rail or BRM but more likely that it's a copy I haven't yet opened or had time to read through!

If we can be of any assistance during your build or you'd just like to share your thoughts and ideas then there'll usually be someone around to reply so please feel free to post anything you wish.

Look forward to hearing more in due course.

Hi there,

I too have a smallish garden. Last year I put my railway in. To keep it tight on the fence and above existing plants and shrubs, I planted posts that are about 30" high and fixed decking boards to the posts. This gives me a double roundy roundy track that is 75ft long. I did fit two sets of points and a crossover to take the tracks into a shed, but to be honest, it's a waste of time for me. I'm thinking of getting rid of the points and reverting to two separate loops so that I can reclaim the shed. I may put the points elsewhere with a couple of sidings for marshalling purposes.

The high track suits me because I'm an older guy who doesn't like the bending too much. It's very pleasant to just sit and watch the trains go by because I don't need the complications of timetable running or anything fancy.

You will see many types of layout here from the dedicated railway operator to the simple. It really is a case of doing what you want to do within your budget and timescale.

Hello and may I welcome you to our happy band :D

The Hampton Field Railway is a basic roundy roundy as I am not very technical. I did however put a loop in each line so as to be able to have more than one train out at a time - I dont run into a shed at all so all my stock has to be taken in and out each session, so this gives me flexibility of operation.

Having now looked through your blog it seems such a shame to have put so much work into the attic layout only for it never to be completed and ultimately dismantled. Mind you, that's more or less what happened to my old Selby Garden Railway but never mind, we move on.

There's a couple of good responses to your opening post which in my view typifies what a garden layout can offer. We get to have all the excitement of seeing lengthy trains running in a natural environment without really having to spend a lot of time getting there. I know it takes a while for me to get myself in gear but most people are generally up and running pretty quickly. We tend not to incorporate many points in our outdoor layouts so there's less complicated wiring needed and really very little to go wrong. That doesn't mean you have to go without lots of points but I think garden layouts are for viewing rather than shunting so how complicated you make it is entirely up to you. I'm happy building a single line layout with just a couple of passing loops but focusing on the viewing aspect with viaducts, tunnel and bridges. I really don't want to spend my time shunting at all. I think you'll find an outdoor layout a pleasant and welcome change.