Newbie Lady

Hi everyone! I am currently in the middle of building the foundations of our Garden railway here in West Wales.

I first decided to do a garden railway after seeing my friends layout in his garden and what is possible, not only that having decent rakes of carriages really does improve the look of model railways, we only have a small cottage and no room for a decent layout inside but we have plenty of room in the garden and with the chickens scraping the ground for us first it really will be a better thing to have.

I guess that is it for now.

Thanks,

Fiona X

Hi Fiona - welcome to the forum.

I don't think anyone could fail to be impressed by the sight of an outdoor garden railway so I can fully understand your reasons for starting your own build after seeing your friends layout. Did you have an interest in model railways before that or did you just think what the heck - I'm having one of those? Interior space was one of the main reasons I decided to build a layout outdoors but also the fact that I wanted to see trains close to scale length with space for them to run into rather than being seen just going round corners all the time.

What are your plans for the layout? What are your interests regarding era or location if any? Will the chickens be staying or are their days numbered :o ?

If you wish to share your build details on the forum then you'll be assured a warm reception. Look forward to hearing more in due course.

Thanks for the warm welcome. In answer to your questions Mick, I have always been interested in all modelling subjects from cars to planes to figures etc as I remember watching my dad build kits when I was samll, then he got me to build with him and there was always the great project of him building a layout in the bedroom, again at that point we only lived in a small cottage and with a few building issues with the property we never got to build it, again space would have been a problem. My dad got me my first train set when I was 1! A nice LMS Princess Elizabeth one, I still have the box and things though I never use it as I have retired it! Naturally living in Northampton at the time it was LMS, my nan worked on the railway for a very long time.

Moving on to the present, the outdoor is going to be a bit of a what I fancy with an Art Deco seaside, complete with Scillonian II model, "Oakham" and "Braintree & Bocking" as per the box art for Braintree & Bocking and "Oakham" as in the Airfix book. Other places will include Hornby Town and Country buildings and the big area will be my take on Woking Junction and parts of woking that are mentioned in The War Of The Worlds, including the pit and Cylinder, I have pics of these as an experiment on my facebook page Woking Expedition, since those pics were taken I have had to alter the relationship of the Cylinder Woking due to the level of the garden but you will get the idea.

As for our Chickens they are not going! Silkies have black meat anyhow and I'm rather attached to them, I have one, Bonnet who follows me everywhere so the thought of...EEK :shock: If anyone else needs ground preparing I recommend this way of prep :mrgreen:

I have taken a lot of pictures on my phone and camera and have a video of what we have done so far, I can't believe after two years of thinking and getting motivated for it we are finally moving in the right direction. I have to have the track finished by December as it is part of the Exercise Referral scheme we have here.

Thanks again for the warm welcome guys and I will put up progress reports as I go.

Fiona X