Camdale layout

aussietmrail

Early morning Griff,, good to hear from you  all the main modules  and curved track sections are build and cut out except the bridge sections, I have cut out the base and sides of half of the 6foot main span of the bridge, the bridge has a 12foot span and either side of the main bridge towers is another 6foot span, whole bridge is 24feet in length and a 3foot lift out section, modules in its own right, bridge will stand up on its own, 4 massive towers 3 inches at the base.7 and a feet hiegh.

I am also shifting the spiral to in the  car port so I can  gain height to 18 inches clearance to the water line, this way I can build the RORO ship to scale working out to about nearly 400mm's in height from the water line of the ship, at the other end I have enough room for  24foot ramp working out quarter inch a foot 6 inch climb works out 2 percent grade on  12foot radius curve, I am planning a viaduct there, something like Micks viaduct.

Hopping to have a test train running by the end of June, better get moving still have a lot of wiring ahead as well taking up a lot of time.

What are you up to with the plans of your layout.

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead

Hello Tony!

Actually, you "must" now bury a pond in the garden over which the bridge leads and in which the ship floats. 😉 

For the ship, maybe contact the local ship model builders.

I can imagine that they see the idea of a functioning Ro-Ro rail ferry as a challenge at least as excited as you. You might win friends in a whole new business.

Thomas 

Edited by ThomasI

HELLO Thomas, that is not a bad idea, don't think my wife will agree to that, then we have trouble with cane toads., I am planning to have some tarp down for the water and stick the ship on i with the props wash behind it  good scene indeed be a back scene as well on the house bricks., ship is going to be a water line model, plan to build a remoter control ship as well.

Not sure how I go the actual ship is Chinese built, popular design  RORO ship in Europe twin props, so many changes to the track plan have to draw up a new plan.

How is your layout going.

Late evening Thomas, that happens over here as well with the ship building mobs, we have some Naval ships built in Spain the first of the of the class of ship is built in Spain rest built over here, had a support ship built as well need an aircraft carrier.

I am thinking of contacting Finn Lines to see if they can help with some sort of line drawing of the RORO ship, they have a quite a few in their fleet, not sure how I will go  with the 9/11 crap, if have a PDF side plan of the ship and measurements of the three decks and bridge, will have a look on the  PDF file if there is any contact emails

Changing the spiral to the car port make it a lot easier to build and gaining height, need to gain 6 inches from the top of the, car port floor which is on a slope, keeping the track level but  nearly level where the spiral is going, at the other end be a 12foot curve radius curve ramp on a 2 percent grade 24feet in length gaining 6 inches, thinking of hitting in steel pipe posts for the supports and a bracket to screw the deck in place..

Planning a curved arches like Micks arches will look awesome, out of ply sides strengthening the curves sections stopping them from warping,

I am also working on building a metre box for my circular saw screwing it to the work bench so I can cut all the time square cuts with ease any thickness to 45mm, fully adjustable, pics to follow .

This be an easy port to model, can have a container  ship docked on the other side as well, don't want a huge port, love this forum can delete the pics when having to edit the post .

DFDS_increases_RORO_activities_between_Europe_and_the_Baltics_web  a.jpg

Edited by aussietmrail

The track is down on the corner and first station modules,, and track is cut on the model join, I use the PVC brass plated computer circuit board and cut it into quarter inch wide strips and solder the track to it them=n cut the track, need to cut a grove in the brass to stop that short..

Checked the module track join with the coaches ran over them with no problems, will have a lot of fun when shunting the Indian Pacific arrives from Adelaide to East Perth terminal shunting the two auto car carriers from the front of the train to the loading dock siding, thinking of having a third shunting  track, when shunting the carriages they don't block the main line .got enough room for a third track on the large 12foot radius curve track deck.

I had to make up a wire clip to hold the module bridge to the front corner module as when I tightened up the bols they pulled apart, looks good.

Next job be the bus wiring I be planning the bus wiring a lot better than last time and using the speaker wire plugs, be on a small plug panel, making it easier  to plug up.

Tomorrow I be setting up the new spiral in the car port tomorrow to see how the decking will fit, got room for the reverse  lop to go in as well earlier, this can fit in the loco service facility and wok shop building too complete with turn table lots of work ahead. more pics to follow.

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead.

003  a.jpg

004  a.jpg

005  a.jpg

I had a busy Saturday, decided to straighten up the two approach modules coming off the car port area to WOW, what a massive big change it will be improving the running of trains coming off the main line into the terminus track and  through suburban platforms, also changing the length to the second stage of the station module complex to three 6foot modules instead of 7foot modules, done away with the smaller approach module.

Be nice to win the lotto some then I could have 4 tracks, two pair running off to the terminus platforms and running track around the whole house, nice to dream, but with the changing of the spiral I now can also shift the reverse loop to the car port and be able to change trains around a lot earlier than having to wait to stage 3 on the layout.

With the changes, it has made it easier to plan the two approach modules coming into the terminus track point mock-up plans, first two pics are of the straightening up of the modules and next three pics of the point plan to the best mock-up so far, but there still is a slight  kink in the line coming off the single slip cross over, I forgot toad in two more points to access the outside track coming off the island platform. All up 7points and one single slip cross over will have to start saving a bit of money involved in the second stage of the station complex, the pink pegs are the end of the platforms, 1,2,3qnd 4.

This week I be getting stuck into getting the bus wiring out the way on the front and first station module so next week can get stuck into starting on the approach modules and spiral, car is going into the work sop need Wednesday will have to buy another off cut piece of ply to cut up for the two new approach modules., be gone for a week or so have a hire car to get around .

Can't wait for the big day to arrive, be pure awesome long time coming and worth the wait.

001  a.jpg

003  a.jpg

001  a.jpg

002  a.jpg

003  a.jpg

84188128.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Good to get back into the layout bus wiring yesterday after a two week lapse, worked on blocks one and two, at least I didn't have to solder in any feeder wires,.

pic two can see the access pedestrian tunnel to suburban and country terminal platforms from the road, ready to cut the tunnel portal waiting to do the bus wiring blocks 6 and 7, pics two and three I have  put in a couple of staples to tie the bus wires to.

I decided to drill the holes for the two speaker plugs on the second beam, still need to add blocks 6 and 7 on the inner plug tomorrow, one that is done be able to set up all the front modules and run the first test loco, fingers crossed the weekend.

Son's computer is fixed power supply died, he hijacked my lap top while waiting over the weekend, I found a couple of typing error's, with the lap top being further away to where I normally have it on my computer table.

001  a.jpg

002  a.jpg

003  a.jpg

004  a.jpg

IMG_0870  a.jpg

Edited by aussietmrail

Have found a quicker way to strip the bus wires mid stream and solder the feeder wires to the bus wires with the module up side down and stapling the wires to under the base board, much faster, I use pieces of red and blue wire for the colour codes as you will see in the pics. I don't use tape anymore, heat shrink is the way to go last longer, I cut a  small cut so I can thread the feeder wire through and them the same with the bus wire, solder the feeder wire and push the heat shrink over making sure the feeder wire is in the middle as in th e second pic, touch the heat shrink with the soldering iron, all done. 

Now all the three station modules are ready to run the first test loco through, was planning to work out side in the curved radius ramp up to the back of the layout, rain coming in today and all week so I will have to work on the approach modules car port end in stead.

Pic three, the wires hanging down are blocks 6 and 7 connects to the front corner approach module, the speaker plug , blocks 1 and 2 will connect up to, I will have to use a mirror on the floor to see where the right bus wires plug up to, true plug and ply,

Pic 5 I tinted the wires to make a better connection and it is goo to keep those short pieces of wire,, I used them to tie the bus wires to staples, making it easy to undo when lifting out the lift out section when setting up Sydney Central, wont be to the end of the year or earth next year I will start on stage three, have to do stage two first with the suburban extension  first, three sections at least no points involved..

All goes well will complete the whole layout by Christmas, still aiming to run the first test loco by next weekend .

Tony from down under  keeping on moving ahead.

001  a.jpg

002  a.jpg

003  a.jpg

005  a.jpg

Woke up to the coldest morning so far they say more to come, 1.4c  degrees, yesterday didn't go any higher than 20 degrees, didn't do anything till mid afternoon, worked on my circular saw cutting jig, screwed in place the first of the saw angle line rails, the second rail I have to cut back to 7mm 18volt battery motor is in the way, electric saws are a lot higher, will use my jig saw to cut the aluminium.

IF the jig works out well I will extend the wood sides so I can turn the saw around to cut length ways, mini radial  saw arm, still aiming to buy a sliding  mitre saw, wonder if I should start a new thread on tools used for the hobby???

I have finely worked out  .how the points and cross overs are going to fit in place with a mock-up module plan last week, actually what I have always wanted to do , was only possible after changing two of the approach modules by straightening them up car port end .

In pic one the set of points and diamond cross over is in front of the pic, the middle point should not be there, will take it out, East Perth terminal is terminus station end of the line only be a shunt track long enough for two locos and two auto car carrier wagons., I will have to get some pics of East Perth terminal  next post.

I will connect the passing loop to the main line move the cross over down for when I be modelling Sydney Central station last platform terminus track, so modelling two  stations, when running the Indian Pacific, Sydney station wont come into place till early next year when I start on stage three that will have platforms one to five as in the video clip can't wait to do the shunting be fun .

Last pic I finely bought the loco I have being after for years missed out when it was out, hard loco to buy Austrains DL class National Rail, orange and gray colour scheme arrived Friday, I would like to repaint her in the latest colour scheme as in the video blue and yellow Pacific National , depends if I can get someone to do it and the price., have all three locos now

After the set back in June it will have to be some time in July to run the first test loco on the front of the layout

001  a.jpg

002  a.jpg

002  a a.jpg

IMG_1459  a.jpg

Here are the latest pics of my lasted invention, circular saw cross cutting jig cutting a perfect square cut every time and much more.

took me three days to build and a few months to work out,  I wont be able to test the jig out today with a Physio coming to see my son , after brekkie head up to my hobby shop to buy a Peco single clip cross over completing the first approach module southern end once the pieces of ply is cut for the hinges to screw onto the module legs I can then pain the module and start all over again naillingtrack and points donw and the wiring after never ending but worth the  big effort.

001  a.jpg

002  a.jpg

003  a.jpg

004  a.jpg

005  a.jpg

Edited by aussietmrail

What a find the second loco pulling the Indian Pacific through Lawson Blue Mountains NSW is the DL class loco I bought last week DL41 painted in the latest Pacific National colours, one day I may repaint the loco that colour, I like finding footage and pics of the model loco I have bought seeing the real loco in action, pure awesome.

Be testing the cross cutting circular saw jib tomorrow, before I do I be screwing in  an extension ply  past the saw blade so I have an adjustable clamp to cut more than one piece of ply the same size, pics to follow.

Hi aureo140012, I think the Indian Pacific has once a week service now, someone said that on a video clip will have to check it out, sadly right one weekly service used to be two trains a week, but the train is pretty long 28 passenger cars why there is two locos needed to get over the Blue mountains, pity you could of checked the time table departs on a Wednesday 3pm.

Yeah we have some pretty long freight trains here, did you see any container trains, they can't use double stack container wagon from Melbourne to Brisbane to do with height restrictions in the tunnels, I am trying to build my flat w containers wagons got about 20 60footers now want more have 40footers as well, do have 15 double stack container wagons pretty long train want more of them longer the better.

While you were visiting us in January Sydney did you get up QLD, coming back again for another holiday and you visit Brisbane let me know we can meet, I live in Ipswich an hour away, I am hooping to visit Sydney again this year in spring.

tony from down under keeping on moving ahead

On Saturday I got to use the cross cutting worked very well, needs some improvement when cutting strips of ply to size, have to think safety first, next time will change the adjustment cutting  block to the other side of the saw, saved some money in having to a drop mitre saw.

It sure is no a lot quicker when cutting a lot of off cuts the same size, where you don't have to measure each piece, worth the effort and getting more use out of your electric saw, if I had a bigger saw would of used 3mm steel angle line, going to set next set up to cut small strips of ply or pine at 45 degrees, my other hobby being wood turning I want to turn a segment bowl platter.

The last two pics I finely came up with mock-up point plan for the first approach module carport end where I can access from the main line to station terminus platform and passing loop  when I have east Perth  terminal set up and finely Sydney Central  when set up , be full on that day starting off Indian Pacific leaving Sydney on her way be a fast clock indeed via Broken Hill, Adelaide, Cook, Kalgooie on to Perth WA, would be good if I have a track around the whole house.

Today I be painting the top of the module and tomorrow start laying track, points and bus wiring, I will need to make up another mini bus plug panel as well never ending, slowing getting there for the big day, worth the effort.

After finishing off this module wont have any straight points and cross overs left, did buy a few years back Peco sheets with all the points going to a print shop to get the them printed onto cardboard.

Tony from cool down under keeping on moving ahead, more rain coming in tis week.

001  a.jpg

002  a.jpg

008  a.jpg

009.jpg  a.jpg

No more module mock up point planning , finished painting the first approach module and made a stat marking out the track lines and well under way nailing down the points, I need to access both track running off the main line into the station which will the temporary mainline , where the diamond cross over is I am going to ship it down to first point. The first point that is in front of the cross over I didn't have the right one buying points going to the hobby shop on Thursday to buy three points , will have to get stuck into the second line heading into 5 platform track make a start today, also will have to mark the holes for the motor switch arm to switch the points.

What the plan is  the cross over be replaced with a point , the train coming onto that line will cross over two modules ahead on the first curve back onto  the  left hand track where the car is , I am hopping when switching the points will cut the power to the track after the points or will need to have a separate switch to kill the power , will have  working signals be a lot of fun, full steam ahead .

DSCF1467  a.jpg

003  a.jpg

Well under way with the first approach module car port end, holes are drilled for the point switching pins and points pemeantly  down as with more track, it is raining here today, want to get stuck into building he bus wire mini plug panel between the modules, see  after brekkie, get it out the way, next job is join the two modules together and  bright the track across the module join and cut the track, then start on the bus wiring.

I even nailed down the siding for the Indian Pacific locos to go into to shunt around the train, GSR must change locos there is no means of turning the loco  around after arriving at East Perth terminal station to face the right way back to Sydney, will ask that at the train club next Saturday, being looking for video footage on you tube.

Once this module is out the way the other modules are only 6 inches wide and closer to the floor , most only have track on them, decking has already being cut out just a matter of joining up and levelling.to the spiral even the curved decking has being cut already.

I may straighten the siding up as when have East Perth station set up the track to the left of the pic be covered up as there is a bus depot there, check out Google Earth, can't wait for the fun to begin, those points and cross overs be access to temporary platforms 2 and 3 where the Indian Pacific gets split up when arriving at Sydney Central station will be finished Sydney Central station adding three more station modules after  Christmas slowly  getting there..

Tony from wet down under keeping on moving ahead

001  a.jpg

002  a.jpg

003  a.jpg

004  a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to do away with the set of points and diamond cross over in front of the loco, saved four points two will go and the diamond cross over where the track on the left oft the loco  links up with main line other two be used for access to the track on the front of the module,.

Tomorrow I will solder in place the brass plated circuit board strips so I can then cut the track never ending.

Tony from down under keeping  on moving a head

001 a.jpg

002 a.jpg

The brass platted circui board strips havebeing soldered in place on the module track joins and cut with a dremmel drill, have pulled away both modules and rebolted them up to see how the track has linned up perfectly , nw the second mdule is out the way Ican get stuck into the bus wiring ,the other module hasn't got any bus wiring either . that module will have the control panel set up, need to work out if I will use those speaker plugs or those  terminal strips.

Friday wiring be in full swing.

Tony from down under.

003  a.jpg

004  a.jpg